Traveling With Unrelated Minor -- Documentation ?

We are cruising next month on Oasis of the Seas and are taking one of DD's friends with us. She is 14. I understand we need to have her parents sign and have notarized release forms. Just found out yesterday that she has had no contact with her biological father in many years. Her mom cannot find copy of divorce decree so she doesn't know if she has full custody listed in that or not. I am really concerned that we will be turned away at the port. Curious if anyone else has cruised with an unrelated minor and has only had one parent complete a consent form.

We have the same issue with grandkids. sorry can't format the letter on here but essentially just have the statement say

I XXXX XXXX being the sole custodial parent of XXXX XXXX authorize my minor to travel to ???? via ???? Airlines (Date) for a cruise to the Caribbean aboard the Royal Caribbean cruise ship ????? of the Seas departing (date) with (name) and (name).

Edited by looking4info

Yes, what the above person posted, and also get a copy of medical insurance cards and u will need her birth certificate/passport also. In the letter that the parent is going to sign....MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING: I give (ur names) to seek any and all medical treatment/decisions while in our care. ALSO: If the kids will be doing any excursions or activities that require waivers (Flow rider/ Ziplining...etc), make sure you also put in that they give ur permission to sign any/all necessary waivers to participate in any activities requiring them! We took our son's friend (our neighbor) and went through this exact same thing. I took hard insurance card for him, along with a copy right on the letter. Also, MAKE SURE TO HAVE THE LETTER NOTARIZED!! Hope this helps and enjoy ur cruise! They don't need divorce or custody papers....just the notarized letter from mom, outlining the above info and including what the person above posted about the specifics of the trip....but also include each port that the ship will be visiting too! Enjoy ur cruise and hope this helped...

Edited by SuiteLady

Thanks for your quick replies. They live in another state so they have mailed the papers to me and I should have them tomorrow .. didn't want to risk them forgetting them at home at cruise time. I'll double check everything included in the consent and if needed ... we'll have a little time to tweak. I was worried because RCCL agent said both parents must sign.

Maybe the parent still have time to secure a copy of the divorce ruling to avoid the risk of being refused for check-in, while the parent is out of state.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The mom keeps telling me not to worry about it .. all will be fine .. I'm just praying that we have a super nice port authority person who agrees that all of our ducks are in order.

The parent being out of state does not really factor into this at all....Like I said, we only needed the letter signed by the custodial parent and they did not even question that there was only one signature! Just make sure the letter is notarized, or there may be a problem!

Our daughter would like to take their grandson on a future cruise. His parents never married so have informed her of needing the notarized permission slip by GS Mom etc. The father is involved somewhat, so our daughter may need to get permission from him also, will check further if a cruise is arranged