Off the Beaten Path

chiefnwa

A friend and I will be docking at Falmouth in a few weeks on the Allure. We're in our early 20s and are usually adventure travelers so group tours and hitting the main tourist traps aren't usually our thing but we got a great deal on the cruise. We aren't huge 'lay on the beach all day' people either.

So with that, any suggestions for Falmouth? I'm a photographer as well so, if there are any on this board, any recommendations for locations/times, etc?

Personally, I would never go off on my own anywhere in Jamaica. Especially Falmouth. I was there in Feb 2015, and it is not safe. I would only go with cruise sponsored excursions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Of course everyone has their own comfort level. I've explored West Africa on my own along with rural Colombia and countless places across SE Asia.

Curious though, what did you see that you have deemed Falmouth unsafe? From what I've read, the town and surrounding area is prone to aggressive vendors but those people are usually easy to fend off.

We were in Ocho Rios several years ago. We hired a local cabbie to take us to Dunns River Falls and a tropical park. Afterward, he dropped us in town and we wandered around before walking back to the ship. We never felt uncomfortable or unsafe - occasionally annoyed at the never ending vendors - but never uncomfortable or unsafe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Viv0828

I guess it is just my comfort level, that I felt unsafe. I am not an adventurous person, and prefer things organized. I really disliked seeing military style dress on some Jamaican's and carrying guns. We had a beach day in Jamaica, and I swear we rode through more poverty stricken areas than nicer places. And then the beach area was not as nice as we would have wanted. And, yes, the venders DO drive you nuts! We were traveling with our sons and their families, and they felt the same way. We try to avoid any itinerary that includes Jamaica, now, or we would just stay on the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Falmouth and Ocho Rios are not the same.

Once outside the gates of the Cruiseline created shopping area, it is like wandering in a third world ghetto. If your fit and able and smart you will likely be ok, otherwise Take a Tour!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

We went last year and docked in Falmouth. We did a wonderful private tour with Errol Bowen. There were 4 of us ages, 44, 39, 14, and 11. We used this site to add another couple to our group to lower the cost of the tour. We had Errol drive us over to Ochos Rios, a 2 - 2.5 hour drive. We went to Blue Hole and river tubed. I don't know if I would recommend river tubing but Blue Hole was very well worth the ride. It is a non touristy spot but absolutely beautiful. We also stopped at Scotchies afterwards for a bite. Youtube "Blue Hole" to get a feel for what it is like. Your guide will take wonderful pictures of cliff diving and walking up the falls, and swinging into the water if you have a waterproof camera. We used Errol but there are others who would do the same trip.

If you leave the dock area and walk a few blocks up the street, you will arrive in the downtown commercial (non tourist) area. There are many beautiful old buildings on the streets, most of them showing their age. I think you could get some great photographs.

My husband and I walked around that area a few years ago, and were not intimidated. There is a local restaurant/bar on the main street circling the island that has a nice front porch to sit, have a couple of Red Stripes, and people watch. You might be interested in this link:

http://www.falmouthjamaica.org/Home.html