Review: Wow! What a Dream.

kgb46

I just got home from a week on the Dream and that was a trip to remember. I went with my BIL and SIL and BIL's sister. The sister and I shared balcony room 8420 on Port side. For those interested I never smelled any smoke on the balcony.

We started out the trip on Saturday morning with a long drive to New Orleans. I recently had to have colon resection and was still unsure about going even the week prior. But I was feeling good and handled the ride well. We took it easy and stopped for an overnight in Hattiesburg MS. Up early the next morning and on the road. We arrived and parked at the garage a block away (Fuller or Fulton, not sure of name) and we were loaded on the bus for a quick ride over to the port. We had FTTF and we zipped through security and was soon waiting in the orange chairs. No time at all and we were on the ship. DING!!!! Very pretty with all of the Christmas decorations and changing lights.

Our room steward was Rabbi and he was great. We had twice a day service but most of the time we just told him to leave us some fresh towels. We did YTD and ate in the Crimson Dining room most nights and Novita was the head of our wait staff. Wonderful and always wanting to get us more food. She would say "shaky shaky" so we could eat more. We did have tablecloths (not a big deal for me) on the elegant evenings. Food was good but not over the top great like I had on the Freedom. I will say that the Smores Parfait was very good so don't miss that.

We stopped in:

Mahogany Bay, Honduras and did a carnival excursion called Sea and See. First stop was to the cameo factory which was interesting. Yeah, I spent money there. Then onto a boat and down below to see the coral reef and fish. Well that boat rocked, jerked and went up and down really bad. My roomy got seasick. BAD! She slept from 1:30 that afternoon till 10:00 the next day. But she recovered and we had a great time

Next up was Belize and we just did some port shopping. Both of us were wanting to do the Lamania Ruins excursion but she canceled due to being sick and I had canceled weeks earlier when I had 15 inches of colon, left ovary, appendix and scar tissue removed. Was no way I would have been up for that. So shopping was nice.

Last was Cozumel and we only did some shopping and had some lunch there.

Western Caribbean cruise was rocky for most of the trip. It was really bad on Saturday. I ran into walls and walked like I sucked down too many Mocha Chocolate Getaway's. Never got sick but I am still feeling the rocking motion and walking a bit funny. I told my roomy that sitting on the toilet was like riding a mechanical bull. Hang on tight!

Now for the wild part. Late Monday we had to start detouring towards Cozumel due to a man having a medical issue. They did a medical evacuation by boat and I heard from someone in his group that he was now in Florida in a regular room and doing well.

We heard a woman fell down some steps and broke her ankle and was put in an air cast. I don't know if she was taken off the ship at a port on not. I also heard they removed another passenger who was sick when we were in Belize. But that was hearsay and I never heard anything else about it.

At breakfast on Saturday we were sitting with two very lovely young ladies who said we were moving fast to meet up with the coast guard for a helicopter Medivac for a very sick patient. That was around 10:00 when they told us but I think they heard about it much earlier. It was around 2:30 when the helicopter arrived along with a plane that circled the boat. It took around 30 minutes or more to lower the medic and to take the passenger up and for them to be on their way. Kuddos to the brave men who ride that rope up and down. Many prayers for all of these families and the patients.

Back to the cruise. Our CD was Jase and he was a lot of fun. We saw him all over the ship and tried to say hi or talk to everyone. Lots of fun. Most of the shows were good other then the Legends Show. I had seen it on the Sunshine and loved it. Lots of props and costumes and good singers. On the Dream it was like watching a talent show for toddlers. I don't like being nasty but the singers were using cards with the lyrics to sing from. Off key and most of them couldn't dance very well. It needs a lot of work.

Getting off of the ship went smoothly but they were running a bit behind. We were Zone 3 and it was about 8:20 when they called us. Porter got out luggage loaded and took us to our bus. On the road by 9:15 and got home to my husband and son last night. That was the best site of the entire week for me!

Score of 1 being bad and 10 being good I would rate the cruise an 8 overall. I gagged 2 times on some of the food. Fried oysters are GROSS. And we did go to the Steakhouse one night. My chef's complimentary dish was raw beef chopped up with something mixed in and it was topped with horseradish ice cream. Who thinks of something like that? But I tried it.

Anyway if your cruising on the Dream you will hopefully enjoy it as much as I did.:)

Thanks for your review! I am still over a year out from my first ever cruise (which will be on the Dream), so I am soaking up as much info as possible.

The steak tartare sounds good to me, but I like carpaccio/tartare very much. Were the fried oysters badly cooked or do you not like oysters in general?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for your review! I am still over a year out from my first ever cruise (which will be on the Dream), so I am soaking up as much info as possible.

The steak tartare sounds good to me, but I like carpaccio/tartare very much. Were the fried oysters badly cooked or do you not like oysters in general?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are welcome! I had never tried oysters or the raw beef but always willing to sample something different. The oysters were the only thing on the menu that did not have tomatoes or onions that night. I am allergic to the tomatoes and I detest onions.

As for cruising, you will be hooked from the moment you step on the boat.

Thanks for sharing your review and I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise, and that you were recovered enough from your surgery to be able to go!

We will be on the Dream ourselves in 33 days, can't wait!!!!!😁