Where is best on the ship to see the stars?

Clovelle

I've never been on a cruise before, so I'm not familiar with locations of public areas on cruise ships in general. We are cruising in April on the Divina :)

I've just read a great article on this site about star-gazing and I really badly want to do this on board!

Earlier this year I was completely blown away by the sight of the night sky from the doorway of the holiday cabin we were staying at in Grand Canyon village, but was unable to find a place to view properly. (Wouldn't want to drive out somewhere and lie down on the ground! :eek: :D )

Since this amazing sight - like seeing the sky for the very first time! - I have this urge to really take in a scene like that but without any light pollution and in relative safety/comfort.

I'm hoping to be able to do this on the ship?

Can anyone who has been on the ship, suggest anywhere I might head to?

Can you be at large on the ship during the night I presume?

I'm so excited to do this if I can :)

Thanks for any advice :)

I'd suggest the back of the ship, deck 15 would be a good place, as there is bench seating made of tiles - most of the other chairs will be packed away over night.

Alternatvely, up towards the funnel and the sports court, but not sure if that is closed off completely at night

Thank you, both of you for your replies.

I'll certainly head to those areas and check them out :)

Have you downloaded the star chart app and the ISS space station app to your phone? Makes it even more interesting?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks Nikki, that's a great idea, I'll get that app for sure! :) - I used to love seeing the ISS go over when we lived out in countryside! We are in a town now so too much light pollution. (Incidentally, your post says Rotherham, I am a Yorkshire lass too! :D )

Computerworks, thanks for replying, that will be a shame :(

Ah well, I DO have another opportunity to see the stars on another holiday later next year when we are in the national parks of Utah. . We've booked one hotel which has stargazing areas on room balconies. Now THAT should be awesome! :)

Great question! I love looking at the stars. My suggestion would be, step away from the light. Sometimes I have great views from a balcony. Other ships aft lounges after they close or forward. But always get as far away from any light source as you can.

The suggestion to download the app was a good one too!

Cheers!

HTP

Yes, Hardtoport, I was wondering about the view from the balcony! :)

I'm sure I'll find wherever I can see the stars from that they'll look amazing compared to what I usually see. :)

Clovelle,

You may also want to Google what phase the moon will be in when you cruise. If it's a new moon you'll see lots of stars. If it's a full moon the stars will be washed out but the moon will look gorgeous especially when it is rising or setting. Personally, I love looking at the reflection of the moon on the water in the middle of the night.

Cheers!

HTP

:cool:

Clovelle,

You may also want to Google what phase the moon will be in when you cruise. If it's a new moon you'll see lots of stars. If it's a full moon the stars will be washed out but the moon will look gorgeous especially when it is rising or setting. Personally, I love looking at the reflection of the moon on the water in the middle of the night.

Cheers!

HTP

:cool:

You know what? I'd never even considered the moon! :eek: I bet the moon sparkling on the water will look so beautiful, I really can't wait. All these new experiences. May be little things to some, but big wows for me! :D

Balcony can be as good as anywhere on the ship. Remember coming back off Davina a couple of years back landed at Gatwick and the guvnor asked the taxi driver why the sky was orange and not black. She'd got used to no lights at night and got a strange look from the driver..

Kev