Shy says hello

QARandy

We got off of the Maasdam on Saturday and Shy gave me a short list of people to say hello to.

Lisa & Tom, Pat, Mike Jo & Jamie, Linda.

I have looked at this site for awhile and want to thank you for the helpful info you all have provided.

If you have any questions about the trip I will try to answer them.

Randy (QA is quality assurance)

Good Morning!

Thanks for posting the message from Shy!!! What a nice surprise to start off my week! Were you lucky enough to have him as your waiter? He is the BEST!

Hope you had a GREAT cruise on the Maasdam-Such a GREAT Crew!

THANKS again!

Pat

Hi, Randy,

Welcome home and back to the real world!

Can you give us some of the basics? i.e., how was the virus situation? Have they gotten things back to normal?

Were there any plumbing problems like so many have said?

Did you make it back to Norfolk late? How was embarkation and disembarkation there?

Anything else you think we may need to know before boarding next week.... I'm sure others will have more questions....

Again, welcome home..... and just like you, regardless of the problems, we're sailing!!!

good morning,

Pat, sorry to say Shy was not my waiter but he worked breakfast and lunch in the lido and after one time of introducing ourselves he greeted us every day with a big hello and a smile.

Marybeach, weheard there were about 5 crew members still ill at the begining of our cruise but by the 7th day they seemed to have everything back to normal.

We heard of a few plumbing problems but not from anyone we were dining or associating with.

embarking was delayed for sanitizing so we boarded around 1PM- the line moved fast(30-40 minutes). leaving was very smooth. luggage orderly and customs was a breeze(one question asked "any Cuban cigars" answered "no" and we were on our way.

We booked inside "n" cat. and were upgraded to outside "FF" which was fantastic until the 4 inch hot water line across the hall broke and filled our room with 2 inches of water.

Randy, Welcome Home!!!

Isn't Shy Great? We so looked forward to every morning to be greeted by Shy in the Lido. He was not our waited but worked near our section in the Main Dining Room. Shy if you are reading this "Hi" Glad to see you are still keeping the Maasdam lively:)

I am so sorry to hear you had some problesm on the Maasdam. We were fortunate with a week of everything going great and no illness.

That is great that you got upgraded, what happened when you got two inches of water in your cabin? Did they attempt to move you or just get the water cleaned ?

Thanks again for bringing home Greeting from Shy:)

OMG, Randy....floating inside and out....(I would call that a plumbing problem ;( ...)

I'm glad to hear that the germs are under control, at least for the time-being. The crew live in such close quarters, I'm sure they take the brunt of any sickness that comes around.

We are planning on arriving at the ship around 11-11:30 since we're staying overnight on Tuesday and will checkout of the hotel. Maybe we won't have to wait quite as long as you did.

Thanks for letting us know how things were. Just a few days now before we're off to Norfolk to get onboard....

Lisa, there were about 22 rooms flooded and HA said the ship was full so they offered all of us the opportunity to go to the half moon room. Three couples chose this for one night. HA moved their beds up there. The rest of us stayed in our rooms. It took until the third morning before we could walk barefoot on the carpet without getting our feet wet. They shampood the carpet 3 times this week to keep the odors down. They were very appologetic and treated us very nicely the rest of the week. It was a rough couple of days but we were still on vacation so we overcame.

Randy

Randy, sounds like you made the best of a rough situation. The staff also is put in a rough situation because they are trying to make their passenger happy yet try to fix the problem. I am glad you were able to finally get dry carpets and enjoy your cruise.

Archived