Handicap scooters on ship

Thank you for posting the SOLAS regulation. Like others, we've seen scooters stored in the hallway on many cruises. If it's a violation...and hazard....I'm curious why it's allowed?

Simple answer, because its a service industry, and you don't want to annoy the passenger.

• 6 months later...

I happened to come across this thread. I am new to mobility scooters and plan on using one on an upcoming Oasis cruise. As already mentioned, there are several scooter that easily fold up and are no larger than a medium sized suitcase. I'm enclosing a couple photos of the scooter that I recently purchased.

DSCN1098.JPG.aad9fa65ce2f0777d2e1c72794001c42.JPG

DSCN1097.JPG.b8c1a80448f3e5131973a46e050d822a.JPG

My wife and I both have a DRIVE Nitro Rollators and love them! Everyone who sees them asks about them. Buy them on Amazon. They come in different sizes.

nitro-euro-style-walker-rollator-hemi-height-red-22.gif

Best of all you can squeeze them together when finished with them and they "sort of lock" so they can stand upright.

On scooters, you can take the little "coffee table" in most cabins and turn it upside down and set it on the couch or across a chair. Then park the scooter where the table was. Also, sometimes your cabin steward can remove a table for you and store it in his secret storage/work area.

Scooters can be turned around inside cabins with a lot of backing and forthing. It is better to back them into the cabin.

My wife has M.S.

We used to use a standard (non-motorized) wheelchair for my wife, in a standard inside cabin.

The wheelchair folds up nicely, and I can easily push the chair for her.

She can walk for short distances, so at restrooms she would get out of the chair and use a walker that she holds while in the chair.

Lately though we've use a motorized scooter and an accessible cabin.

At public restrooms on the ship, she takes the scooter into the restroom and into the accessible stall.

My point is: If someone does not mind pushing you, you can use a standard wheelchair -- it folds up nice in the cabin. If you want to use a motorized scooter, you might need an accessible cabin, unless somehow the scooter folds up or comes apart so it can fit in the cabin.

Tip: When you first board, go check out where your dining table is located. Sometimes there is a step or two which makes it difficult if not impossible to use the scooter/chair. You might ask for at table near the entrance so you don't have to maneuver the scooter/chair through the between chairs. We've had tables near the back before but it is tricky to get there. You also might find it difficult to maneuver to some tables in the buffet. If there is a bar area at the buffet entrance, you can use one of those tables and it is usually easy to get to.