What to wear

salgon

Looking at a short cruise on the QE. Having never cruised before at all, I'm wondering about what we should be wearing. All nights are 'informal' but does this still mean trousers and a jacket for my husband? He only wears jeans, and literally owns just one suit! I also always dress casually, although I do have a few dresses - should I wear a dress each evening? And in the daytime, can we just wear casual? Thanks in advance.

Hellllooo!

I recently took my first ever Cunard cruise and the dress code was a massive shock (I'm used to freestyle dining)

To be honest I found the dress code to be a bit of a pain... I had no idea that they'd be ship wide dress codes or that the informal nights would still be more formal than I'd ever dress in my normal life!

Anyway I wrote a post about what to wear and included photos of what I wore. If you check it out here then I won't have to annoy everybody by typing it out again haha :) http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/11/08/cunard-dress-code-what-to-wear/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Eleteace

Here is a short post I wrote with a couple of examples of informal and formal. https://11adventures.wordpress.com/2016/11/13/evening-wear/

Informal evenings are still relatively formal. Jeans would be too casual unless you only used the Lido and Garden Lounge after 6pm.

Edited by AllieBallie

Looking at a short cruise on the QE. Having never cruised before at all, I'm wondering about what we should be wearing. All nights are 'informal' but does this still mean trousers and a jacket for my husband? He only wears jeans, and literally owns just one suit! I also always dress casually, although I do have a few dresses - should I wear a dress each evening? And in the daytime, can we just wear casual? Thanks in advance.

Informal still means a jacket and trousers (not jeans) for men if you want to use all the facilities on the ship.

Yes. Casual is fine (inc. jeans) before 6pm. It's ok after 6pm in the Lido and Garden lounge only :)

I also remembered that this post has a photo of us both on another informal night. My husband wore a tie that night but he also went without a tie on other nights. On formal nights he wore a tux but a standard suit would have been fine too. https://11adventures.wordpress.com/2016/11/16/sunday-13-november-santa-cruz-de-tenerife/

Hellllooo!

I recently took my first ever Cunard cruise and the dress code was a massive shock (I'm used to freestyle dining)

To be honest I found the dress code to be a bit of a pain... I had no idea that they'd be ship wide dress codes or that the informal nights would still be more formal than I'd ever dress in my normal life!

Anyway I wrote a post about what to wear and included photos of what I wore. If you check it out here then I won't have to annoy everybody by typing it out again haha :) http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/11/08/cunard-dress-code-what-to-wear/

Hi Emma,

I just read your Cunard blogs. As a fellow younger cruiser (although not quite a young as you) I appreciated your perspective. Thanks for writing!

Hi Emma,

I just read your Cunard blogs. As a fellow younger cruiser (although not quite a young as you) I appreciated your perspective. Thanks for writing!

Thank you! That is really nice to hear and is why I started the blog :)

Before my first Cunard cruise I found it hard to find information about Cunard from people like me, so here we are!

Thanks again :)

Hellllooo!

:eek::eek::eek::eek: Too formal for me!

:eek::eek::eek::eek: Too formal for me!

To be honest, I did like dressing up but not being able to go for a walk around the ship in my jeans in the evening got rather annoying! That's traditional cruising for you though, loads of people love it. I'll probably stick to less formal cruising though.

Hellllooo!

Anyway I wrote a post about what to wear and included photos of what I wore. If you check it out here then I won't have to annoy everybody by typing it out again haha :)

The dress code is not in fine print. Why a person would not check the definition of formal and informal when it is clearly mentioned is beyond comprehension. The Cunard definition is located on the same pages of the voyage book as information about prohibited items, passports, visas, Zika virus, vaccinations.

Ah the naivety of the young.

Hellllooo!

And Hellllooo! to you.

You found the dress code to be a shock and seemed surprised by the dress code, and yet you managed to pack lovely gowns - so kudos to you.

And thank you for the title of your blog "Cruising isn't just for old people" - very generous of you haha :)

And Hellllooo! to you.

You found the dress code to be a shock and seemed surprised by the dress code, and yet you managed to pack lovely gowns - so kudos to you.

And thank you for the title of your blog "Cruising isn't just for old people" - very generous of you haha :)

Ha ha!! Thank you :)

I had suspected that the formal nights might be formal but wasn't prepared for the formalness of the informal nights. (If that makes any sense!)

The dress code is not in fine print. Why a person would not check the definition of formal and informal when it is clearly mentioned is beyond comprehension. The Cunard definition is located on the same pages of the voyage book as information about prohibited items, passports, visas, Zika virus, vaccinations.

Ah the naivety of the young.

There are a lot of other people here questioning the dress code, sometimes it's nice to have an opinion of somebody who's been onboard rather than reading a list of print. Just trying to help!