Gluten Free Soy Sauce

gdlamberth

I do not know about the soya sauce but if you require a GF diet contact special services dept well in advance to have it put on your file

Then follow up once onboard to make sure you get GF meals

Oceania does not want you to be ill so they do their best to accommodate you

Well, I contacted O by email with, what I thought was a pretty simple "yes or no" question:

"Does the Sirena offer Gluten Free soy sauce in the Red Ginger? "

I got back a response that I would have expected from a politician:

"We have passed your request for Gluten Free soy sauce to the ship and every effort will be made to satisfy your request."

I still don't know if my wife needs to bring her bottle of Gluten Free soy sauce or not.

I'm reminded of an old joke where two guys are in a balloon floating above the clouds with no idea where they are. They come to a break in the clouds and see a man on a hill below them. One balloonist yells out, "Where are we?" The man on the ground answers,"In

a balloon." The second balloonist says, "Must be a General Staff officer." First guys asks,"How do you know?" Second balloonist says,"Because the answer was timely, precise and totally worthless."

Well, I contacted O by email with, what I thought was a pretty simple "yes or no" question:

"Does the Sirena offer Gluten Free soy sauce in the Red Ginger? "

I got back a response that I would have expected from a politician:

"We have passed your request for Gluten Free soy sauce to the ship and every effort will be made to satisfy your request."

I still don't know if my wife needs to bring her bottle of Gluten Free soy sauce or not.

Is she just using it at the table or is she concerned they cook with non GF ??

If the later then have it noted on her file she needs GF diet

Follow up with the Chef/GM once onboard

DH does not have Celiac or otherwise Gluten "intolerant." (To me "intolerant" means to me that if you consume a microgram you become gravely ill.) She has discovered though that she is (my words) Gluten sensitive. Seems to affect energy levels. So she restricts Gluten intake. At home that means Gluten Free, at restaurants she generally avoids items that normally contain Gluten. We went to a Japanese restaurant the other night and simply asked if they had gluten free soy and they did so she ordered sushi. She prefers to manage her intake that way as opposed to those who have Celiac and, for their own safety, have to ask wait staff about ingredients in dishes.

I guess there are two things that cause me to shake my head.

1. That I couldn't get a simple yes or no answer to a IMHO simple question.
  2. That a cruise line which claims "best cuisine at sea" (and based on previous cruises we'd agree) gets such mediocre reviews of their gluten free items (based on what I've read searching Gluten Free on Cruise Critic).

Making tasty gluten free breads, rolls and pancakes is a well established "state of the practice" by many restaurants and caterers. I would have guessed O would have mastered it for its clientele. But, I guess if there is no or minimal demand there is no real reason:o.

We will bring her bottle of GF Soy on the cruise as the REd Ginger is one of our favorite venues on O.

Edited by gdlamberth