Best beach day for a family with kids

brovan1

We will be doing a Carnival cruise leaving 12/26 with a stop in Cozumel. We are trying to cut down costs of excursions (it gets expensive for 4 of us) and were hoping we would be able to do a day here on our own. Looking for recommendations for the best beach for our family-myself, hubby and two boys-ages 9 and 13. Hoping to find a nice beach with safe swimming and stuff for our boys to do...also the best form of transportation to get there. Thanks!

We have been to Cozumel twice. Once we did Paradise beach and once we went to Chankanaab. Paradise beach was OK, not great, but it was pretty cheap. The beach was nice but in the water the bottom is rocky. There is a pool and nice facilities. Chankanaab costs a bit more but was a great place to spend the day with lots of stuff to do also with pool, etc. The beach there is nice but not a typical "walk in" beach. There are places to go in the water down steps, gets deep really quickly but is great for snorkeling right off the beach. There are lots of beach chairs and umbrellas. Both were easy to get to on your own, just go grab a taxi from the port. Taxis also readily available for return.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by SCAnthony

We really liked Paradise Beach. Their pool is huge, and my younger daughter loved that, along with the bungee trampoline. The guy working it got a kick out of sending the kids way high! My older son liked the beach, and we even both got a massage for around $25 -- much cheaper than on the ship! He also appreciated the free wifi in the open-air restaurant.

Paradise Beach is private so you won't get hustled by vendors. The tent where we had our massage was right next to a public beach, and I could see the people there were not able to relax with all the vendors coming up every five seconds.

Cab ride was not long and maybe $15-20 each way for all of us. Can't remember exactly.

We just got back from Cozumel two days ago, and went to Paradise Beach. The Taxi fair is posted on a sign right as you exit the port area. It was $15 each way. We loved it. Not crowded, excellent staff, and alot to do for not much money.

Park Royal hotel. We done it 4 times. You can walk there from there port. it's $40 for day you get free wifi, free drinks, free meal, snorkeling, pools, peacocks, Infiniti pool, beach front property. Well worth your money.

We will be on the Dream Dec 26

All the above are good suggestions. Playa Azul has no beach/water toys. It is just a small beach with 1 choice for food if they are open.

Mr. Sanchos is another option. They have horseback riding and dune buggy tours there also.

• 2 weeks later...
Park Royal hotel. We done it 4 times. You can walk there from there port. it's $40 for day you get free wifi, free drinks, free meal, snorkeling, pools, peacocks, Infiniti pool, beach front property. Well worth your money.

We will be on the Dream Dec 26

Do you just call/email the resort directly or do you book through Carnival?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have been to Cozumel twice. Once we did Paradise beach and once we went to Chankanaab. Paradise beach was OK, not great, but it was pretty cheap. The beach was nice but in the water the bottom is rocky. There is a pool and nice facilities. Chankanaab costs a bit more but was a great place to spend the day with lots of stuff to do also with pool, etc. The beach there is nice but not a typical "walk in" beach. There are places to go in the water down steps, gets deep really quickly but is great for snorkeling right off the beach. There are lots of beach chairs and umbrellas. Both were easy to get to on your own, just go grab a taxi from the port. Taxis also readily available for return.

I don't care for the description of the beach at Chankanaab, the fact it gets deep pretty quick. But I do want to do some snorkeling and was wondering if Paradise Beach has good snorkeling?

I don't care for the description of the beach at Chankanaab, the fact it gets deep pretty quick. But I do want to do some snorkeling and was wondering if Paradise Beach has good snorkeling?

The snorkeling area at chankanaab is not a beach, there are steps into the water. The beach area is small and pretty shallow but not good for snorkeling.

No good snorkeling from the shore at Paradise Beach or any other beach club with a sandy shore and waves - the sand and wave action clouds the water and there are no rocks/reefs for the little fish to thrive in.

For good snorkeling from the shore, but no beach, check out the Money Bar - no admission fee, great facilities, rental gear & guides if you need them, plus good food/drinks/service.

The snorkeling area at chankanaab is not a beach, there are steps into the water. The beach area is small and pretty shallow but not good for snorkeling.

So is there a snorkeling area and a beach area at Chankanaab? If so, are they close to each other? We really want nice beach area for the kids but I also want to snorkel. I have all my own snorkel stuff so rental is not a concern.

So is there a snorkeling area and a beach area at Chankanaab? If so, are they close to each other? We really want nice beach area for the kids but I also want to snorkel. I have all my own snorkel stuff so rental is not a concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[

They are close to each other. The beach area is kind of boxed in by a rock wall. There is sand at the snorkeling area it's just not down at the water, there was a rock embankment at the water. If you google images for it you will see a big sandy area with the rock embankment at the waters edge. Off to the far side there is a small cove area that is the small swimming beach area.

I appreciate the responses so far and sorry OP if I hijacked your thread. I think I just have one more question about Chankanaab. I have looked at a bunch of pictures and see a sandy beach but it looks like you have to cross over the rocks to swim? If so, how deep is the water on the other side and is the ocean bottom sandy or rocky? I'm talking about the swimming area and not the snorkel area. Thanks

I appreciate the responses so far and sorry OP if I hijacked your thread. I think I just have one more question about Chankanaab. I have looked at a bunch of pictures and see a sandy beach but it looks like you have to cross over the rocks to swim? If so, how deep is the water on the other side and is the ocean bottom sandy or rocky? I'm talking about the swimming area and not the snorkel area. Thanks

The swimming area I saw when there was just like a regular beach and very shallow and sandy. There might be a different area that we didnt see. The one we went i think was in the middle between the snorkeling area and the dolphin area.