The Best Cruise to the Artic ?

or the New Scenic yacht could be the best to consider ? Would love suggestions or feedback

Note also the new Scenic ship hasnt even started to be built - the steel has only just arrived! It wont be sailing til late 2018 and traditionally most new builds are about a year late!

Note also the new Scenic ship hasnt even started to be built - the steel has only just arrived! It wont be sailing til late 2018 and traditionally most new builds are about a year late!

The Scenic ship itineraries are more expensive than many of the existing expedition cruise ships in the area. A bit like Viking, I think they have charged a premium for the name. As well, some of the facilities which they trumpet will be an extra cost (for example helicopter) or very limited in availability unless you have booked a top of the range cabin. We looked at a few itineraries when there was a special for $1000 pp deposit but decided we would prefer to wait to see what it is like on the water. Personally I would be staying with an established expedition company for this trip.

• 2 weeks later...
The Scenic ship itineraries are more expensive than many of the existing expedition cruise ships in the area. A bit like Viking, I think they have charged a premium for the name. As well, some of the facilities which they trumpet will be an extra cost (for example helicopter) or very limited in availability unless you have booked a top of the range cabin. We looked at a few itineraries when there was a special for $1000 pp deposit but decided we would prefer to wait to see what it is like on the water. Personally I would be staying with an established expedition company for this trip.

Scenic isnt really my taste or demographic for any of their itineraries around the world. I just like to keep track of new builds etc in order to maintain the TA forums and keep them up to date.

Where is your information coming from re charging extra or limiting use of the heli (once the ship is built) ?

3 out of 4 of my polar expeditions have had heli's and we have never been charged extra nor have they ever been restricted for use by the "higher priced folks".

The only folks who paid extra were the documentary teams who were allowed to charter flights for scenic flight filming - and that was only at the end of the day or night when all normal passenger operations were completed - and only if the pilots had leftover hours they could use up without it affecting passenger flights the next day.

I agree tho re waiting to hear from passengers or crew about how the new vessel handles the conditions. After a season or two worth of feedback it will be interesting.

Hi PP, the Scenic Eclipse brochure specifically notes that helicopters and submarine are an additional cost.

Ahh ok - I have only been reading the articles about the build itself - not the Scenic website or brochures. Nice to see they are separating themselves from the norm (not !).

Perfectly Perth .may I ask what expedition ship you would recommend for going to the arctic ? Did u go with national geographic ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have done 4 Antarctica trips, not Arctic (the Arctic holds no interest for me). 3 with Quark on Khlebnikov and Sea Adventure, One with Oceanwide on Ortelius. All operate in the Arctic as well.

If you go to the links we provided further above you can see a list of all the ships and expedition companies that do the polar regions and read all the many trip reports to get a better idea of what company and ship will suit your needs.