Bringing Soda On Board

I know this topic has been visited many times, but it seems like there are always conflicting answers.

Are you allowed to bring soda, juice, and water on board? I am not talking about ridiculous quantities, but with in reason. Is it better to carry on, or put in your checked luggage??

27 days and counting!!!!!!!!!

Just not sure that spending $42 for a weeks worth of soda is the answer!!!!!

Thanks!

I bought the card when it was $5 a day and really didn't feel I got my monies worth, and I drink a lot of soda. Unfortunately, the quality aboard the ship just isn't that good and the only time I real crave it is with dinner, so I'll spend the $14 over the week and save the rest. I've already decided on our cruise next month that I'll be taking Diet Pepsi onboard with us. I'll just have to make a stop at the grocery store on the way to the port.

I see, so thats what drives the cruise rate hikes, ppl sneakin in soda.......lol. Well, speaking for myself, Id rather bring it onboard, not dragging, carrying......spending 8 bucks for 3- 16 oz bottles of pepsi and saving $34. With this, now I can drink my own soda at my convenience in a regular glass and not a dixie cup....but maybe thats just me.

I'll spend the $42 before I drag soda on board to save $20.

Maybe if everyone stopped bring their own soda, prices wouldn't be so high on board. I no, you don't agree, just my thoughts.

First, RCI doesn't serve Pepsi products. Second, the quality just isn't there. Third, RCI charges way more than their competitors for the soda card. When I was on Princess, the card was $20. More recently, it was $28 on NCL. However, $42 for a week is unreasonable, especially considering the amount of time most people spend in port on a port-intensive schedule.

If your logic holds, the prices of photos onboard would fall if people stopped bringing their own cameras and taking their own pictures.

If your logic holds, the prices of photos onboard would fall if people stopped bringing their own cameras and taking their own pictures.

I have to say - that was a good one! I for one, am not about to spend $42 on soday for a week if I can avoid it. And because we live in Florida and drive to the port, it's not really "dragging" soda on board. We also don't carry too much on, so bringing a little soda and water wont be too much of an inconvenience! I would need to be on the ship for a month plus to get my money's worth out of the $42! I also drink bottled water, and that's not included. Believe me....Royal Caribbean will get their money out of me in one way or another!!! I'll just be a more satisfied customer because I didn't waste $42 (or $84 for the two of us) to have some soda for the week.

Great. I usually take to the foo foo drinks and martinis on vacation, but now that we're thinking babies I am trying to cut down on my drinking. Just not sure that spending $42 for a weeks worth of soda is the answer!!!!!

Thanks!

Congratulations in advance (I hope) ;)

As for the soda, I don't think you HAVE to buy a soda card. I have a family of 6. I'm sure not buying $42 soda cards for each of us because there's no way we're going to drink $252 worth of soda for the week, especially with all the shore excursions wer'e doing. We're planning to carry on some of our own soda, and then buy individual sodas when necessary.

As for carrying on... I am using one of those wheeled luggage carts to transport our drinks on board. Did the same thing on DCL several years ago (only with beer instead) and had no trouble.

I'll spend the $42 before I drag soda on board to save $20.

Maybe if everyone stopped bring their own soda, prices wouldn't be so high on board. I no, you don't agree, just my thoughts.

True, but multiply that by 6 people in the family and it turns into a lot of $$$. Believe me, there's nothing I'd like more than to have less stuff to lug around, but for that amount of money I'll do it.

I have to say - that was a good one! I for one, am not about to spend $42 on soday for a week if I can avoid it.

It seemed to fit.

BTW, I completely agree. Even though I'm going to bring my own soda onboard, I'm still going to buy soda at dinner in the dining room and buy drinks at the bar, so RCI will not be hurting. Further, I'm only bringing a six pack of 20 ounce bottles; it's not like I'm rolling on a small refrigerator with me. I also plan on bringing a couple of bottles of water for port days. I have no problem with the ship's water, it's actually very good, but at the same time I don't want to spend $3.95 and a bottle of water that is marked up 400%.

When my DH and I were on RCCl we each bought a soda card for 11 night cruise in Feb/04 and we hardly used it.We paid $60.00 each and between all the other beverages and buying the alchohal mix drinks it was not worth the money..not even for one card. I would have rather bought more bottled water even though that was way over priced. I found that we never drank enough water while on our cruise due to being over priced. This time we will pay for the water and forget the soda and just buy a can when we feel like it.

Do you bring your own steak to a restaurant because it's cheaper to buy it in a supermarket. A restaurants food is marked up 400%.

After spending all this money on a cruise I'll spend another $20 on soda/water

rather than drag it with me.

You feel like you want to drag soda along, go right ahead, for me I'll spend the x-tra 20.

Do you bring your own steak to a restaurant because it's cheaper to buy it in a supermarket. A restaurants food is marked up 400%.

You feel like you want to drag soda along, go right ahead, for me I'll spend the x-tra 20.

hmmm....times that extra $20 by 8 and that's alot more harder to handle than bringing on a few extra sodas or a couple of bottles of water. I mean for $160 I can pay for an excursion or spend the money on something worth while.

I don't bring steak to a restaurant - I'm not just paying for the steak, I'm paying for someone to shop, cook, serve, clean up AND provide accompaniments. HOWEVER, I certainly DO bring soda/bottled water to a hotel to drink in my room, by the pool and on excursions. It's not just $20 - for 7 days, it's $43 plus 15% plus tax if you buy before leaving port which most people do. When you want one, you need to flag down a waiter or go to a bar - even at that, you get a tiny glassful of fountain soda (ugh). A 24 oz. diet Pepsi (we don't like Coke) costs $0.47, a 24 oz. sport bottle of water costs $0.25 ($3-4 on ship) - you do the math.

We've done it both ways....brought on bottled water & pop...& purchased the "pop" card. But this was on Princess and/or Carnival.

We're taking our 1st cruise on RCL in April. We'll be on the Empress in an outside cabin. Am definitely planning on bringing on bottled water (& maybe some soda) but am wondering about keeping it cool. We LOVED our Princess cruises 'cause they had the little frig. Anyone know if they have frig's on RCL. (specifcally the Empress)? Or if we'll have to rely on ice from the steward. Thnx.

My goodness, people get a little testy when discussing soda...lol. I really don't think the price of cruising is going up because people bring a six pack of coke on board.

Could it be the high price of fuel? I'll be brining my six pac....i don't drink $40 worth of soda in a month and I'll probably be taking some of my cokes back home with me. :rolleyes:

On our last cruise we brought a little soft sided cooler (that folded up nicely and fit in our luggage) and kept a couple of waters and sodas in it in our cabin. Our wonderful steward kindly replenished the ice twice daily for us...needless to say he got a little extra tip for his thoughtfulness. Other than tea, coffee and tap water, does any one know what other free beverages are offered on RCCL? CCL had kinda like a Tang drink and a fruit punch that were free.

Archived