Eli's New Tour: The Xtreme Circumnav

tapia

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We took Eli's new tour this past Wednesday and all I can say is WOW. It was the highlight of our cruise. You will travel around the entire island making a few stops for lunch, snorkeling, and lying around on the beach.

I did his origional tour 2 years ago and it was a highlight of our trip too. Did Eli do your tour ? I am trying to book for Feb and I have yet to get a email back. How many go on the extreme ? Where did you snorkle? How was the food? Did he have his famous punch? What time did your tour start and finish? Sorry for all the questions but it looks like you are one of the first to do extreme that has came back to post.

Cindy

Murt, we're glad to hear you enjoyed the new tour. We're booked to take it in just 3 weeks, and are very excited. We've done the eco-tour 3 times, and always enjoy spending the day with Eli.

Cindy, Eli is running the new tour for now, one of the reasons we're doing that one this year.

We met up Eli at 8:40am just at the end of the pier. When you get off your ship onto the cruise ship dock, you pass through the Security gate, and make a sharp right on to a wooden boardwalk. Follow this boardwalk until you meet a small wooden Cafe with a couple of benches outside on the dock. It is a 3-5min walk from your ship's dock.

After picking up the other passengers, there were 12 of us on this day, we started our tour. We first toured a few places while on the boat then we stopped at a nice beach for lunch. Lunch is prepared by the same person who provides lunches on the Eco tour. After lunch we continued on around the island viewing different sights. We pulled into a harbor and viewed some amazing yachts then after leaving the harbor we stopped to snorkel. Snorkeling at this location is not the best for fish viewing but we did see a cool old anchor. After snorkeling you will continue on then stop at a lovely beach where you can either lay around, look for shells or just play in the water. You will also be served the famous rum punch at this last stop.

I think we were back to the ship around 3:30 or 4:00.

1893243983_Dec2005cruiseEliboat.jpg.eac2e6885f91f6ae57270f058a748be2.jpg

Sorry, I can't tell you how many more details I want!

Did you swim with the sting rays? What stops did you make? Was the boat going really fast?

*all kind of questions are pouring off the top of my head*

More please!

Murt,

Thanks so much for the information. Did you have any trouble getting Eli to respond to your booking by email. I have sent my request twice and it says thank you but I have yet to get response. I am on the Infinity and it does not get into port until 10 am I hope this is not a problem.

Erniespand, Please report back and I would love any compairisons to the origional trip and this one.

Cindy

Oh my gosh!!! I can't believe I forgot about swimming with the stingrays. The day was so full of activities I almost forgot one of the best parts. The stingray area is a fenced off area on a sandbar that protects the stingrays. This area is run by former local fisherman that will guide you through it and let you hold and feed them and also take pictures of your experience. We also had the opportunity to hold starfish and conch. There is a guard shack were someone stays overnight to keep an eye on things and protect the stingrays from unauthorized fishing. Be sure to bring your own underwater camera because there will be a lot of great picture opportunities.

It still makes me giggle thinking of the time a bunch of stingrays were swimming around me and two of my friends and all three of us jumping into my husband's arm trying to get away from them.

One more thing about the boat. The average speed we traveled was 35 - 40 mph. If you have a sensitive stomach or bad back, be sure to sit in the back. While the ride up front is more exciting, it can also be rougher.

Murt,

Thanks so much for the information. Did you have any trouble getting Eli to respond to your booking by email. I have sent my request twice and it says thank you but I have yet to get response. I am on the Infinity and it does not get into port until 10 am I hope this is not a problem.

Erniespand, Please report back and I would love any compairisons to the origional trip and this one.

Cindy

I never had a problem getting a response from Eli or Nell. Since Eli picked us up at 8:40am, getting in at 10am might be too late. It will probably depend on who is on the tour with you and what their schedules are.

Try this email address secure@antiguaadventures.com

According to Andrew, who runs the place with all the fishermen from seatons village, they don't remove barbs or tails as that would be like removing your nails. He says these fish do not have the ability to use their barbs as there is no muscle control there. They teach you all about these friendly fish before you get in to avoid any damage to them or to you. They don't even allow fins in there because they can remove the thin layer of mucus that helps keep these fish free from infection. It's very shallow in there anyway. He says that they have never had any problems since they started three years ago. The fence was set up after some security issues. When they first started they had several problems with sabotage and the Antigua and Barbuda Fisheries department encouraged them to do so. It has turned into a community thing now with almost all the employees coming from the Seatons fishing village near to the park. For more specific info call them at 268 562 RAYS.

Antiguan-

Thanks so much to you and Andrew for putting my mind at ease.

With the popularity of the stingrays in Grand Cayman, there are reports of operators in other places that have penned and maimed stingrays.

We're looking forward to visiting your beautiful island!

Wendy

Thanks to everyone we are now booked for Eli trip in Feb. Eli had been responding to my E mails but they were blocked. His response was prompt and It was my fault. I did not want anyone to get wrong impression from my post.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!

We took Eli's new tour this past Wednesday and all I can say is WOW. It was the highlight of our cruise. You will travel around the entire island making a few stops for lunch, snorkeling, and lying around on the beach.

Help please......... sure looks a 'wow' trip and a highlight of the cruise. Not cheap I note, and neither of us have snorkled before! I'm game to try perhaps, although I swim very poorly if at all, and my wife can't swim! Would we (she) feel out of place by not taking part or are there others in the same boat (pun not intended!!) who either lie on the beach or stay on the boat. We enjoy the thought of a speedboat and that's what appeals as well as the thought of those beautiful beaches.................

Please convince me to part with, or keep my $$$$$$'s

Colin

Help here please!!

Seems a great trip for those who have done it - we'd love to for the speed and exhilaration, but..... When you jump off at the beaches what is the depth of the water? DW is terrified of rays and I read interesting other reports of this!! Will they bother her?

Neither of us Snorkel, does that matter and can we either sunbathe or swim in the shallows instead and not feel left out?

Help soon please if you can - we leave on the 15th on 'Empress of the Seas'

Thanks

Colin

We have not done the extreme yet so maybe someone else that has will answer before you go. On the Eli excursion we did if you want you could wear a vest so it wouldn't matter if the water is over your head. Not everyone snorkled on our boat and all seemed to have a great time. Also if you choose to they gave instructions to those who had not snorkled before so maybe you would want to give it a try. Come back and post after you go and let us know how you liked it. Eli's excursion is one of our favorite in 15 cruises.

Cindy

PS when we got off at beach the depth of water was only a foot or two.

To anyone who has done both the eco and extreme:

I have not done either, but the price tag of the extreme is way up there. What does that extra $75 represent? Or should I just stick with the less expensive eco excursion?

Thanks to anyone who responds!

Just a common sense question.........

Are life vests/jackets given to all participants on these speed monsters as a matter of course - either on this tour or Seafaris??

Quick replies would be appreciated please as I'd like to book and we leave next Saturday

Colin

Archived