Inspiration Review - Oct. 24th..umm 25th sailing - long!

blindhrtd

Ok, so I am a little delayed, but the post cruise blues have me down =(

My DH and I were booked on the Inspiration 5 night to leave 10/24/05. Of course due to Wilma the cruise did not leave until the 25th. We luckily received our email just as we were getting ready to walk out the door, so we had time to call our hotel to book an extra night.

We went ahead and drove down as scheduled Sunday. We stayed at the Doubletree Tampa Westshore. It was really nice; no great views but a good hotel with a Sports Bar and Cafe. It is also close to the Westshore Mall (this was good since we had a day in Tampa and not much else was open). We caught a movie, did some Christmas shopping, found the port, and then headed to dinner with a fellow CC'er, Cherun.

We got up Tuesday morning and headed to the port about 11. We pulled up, gave our baggage to the porter and sent the rental car off with the Valet parking (very much worth the extra $10). As we get out of the car we realize that ship is still moving. They are just arriving to port at 11. We knew this was not a good sign.

We got inside and checked in with no problem. Our cards were not ready, but we were assured we would get them soon. We found a seat and watched the room fill up. People got restless and eventually we were told what we were all thinking. It would be 3:30 or later before we could board, so we could leave and come back and still have our boarding groups. So we left...bad idea. We got lunch and walked around Channelside until 3 then we got in line for security. We were all handed a letter saying that our itinerary had been changed from Grand Cayman to Progreso. I had done my CC research about Progreso just in case, so at least I knew what to expect. Half the people around did not even know where it was!

Ok so we get through security and walk into chaos. No other way to describe it. The room is wall to wall people. Supposedly somewhere there is a line to pick up S&S cards and then another line to board. We finally find what may be the end of the line for S&S and get pushed around until we finally get up to the counter. About the time they go to look for our cards our boarding goup is called. WOOHOO!

Not so fast. We have to figure out where to go to get on. People are just everywhere. We decide to follow a Carnival employee who is heading toward the entrance to the ship. She tells us we are supposed to wait in line. We ignore her since our number was called and there was no line - just lots of people not knowing where to go.

Ok so finally we make it. Take a deep breath and walk on board. WOW is all I can say. This was my second cruise (first on the Norway - a great ship, but I am in love with Carnival now). We make our way to Lido and get a drink first thing, then we just enjoy the ride. We are in our room (Upper 215 )not long after we boarded and had all but 1 piece of luggage. The last piece arrived before our 8 PM dinner in the Carnivale dining room. We meet our steward Wayan on our way to dinner. He was just great!

The dining room was nice. We had a table right next to the window with 2 other couples. Our waitstaff was good (our assistant was much friendlier than our waiter), they were not as on top of things as our expeience on NCL, but good nonetheless.

We spent our days relaxing, eating the pizza at all hours, and just exploring. My favorite place on the ship are the window seats on Promenade deck near the coffee bar. Gotta love those Mochas! My DH convinced me to play a game of bingo. He bought us each a 3 card good for 3 games. Wouldn't ya know he won game 2, and then I won game 3. Boy were we getting angry looks hahah....we were then crowned the Bingo Hogs, and I forbid him from playing the rest of the trip =) At least it covered our S&S and most of my shopping in port ;)

The best part of our trip had to be the service. Our steward was friendly and just made us feel so at home. We had a favorite server in the Paris lounge. If anyone sees Vladmir order a Strawberry Margarita for me. He was always friendly and fast. He knew our number after the first night. We ended up tipping him extra the last night because he just took such good care of us!

What else....the comedians.. Big Tony Espisito was really funny. He did two shows. His PG and his R show. Both good. The last night they had Dan Schmi...ok so I can't spell his last name, but he was AWFUL!!! I was embarassed for him. He almost missed getting on the ship in Progreso...my DH saw him running for it after the gangways had been pulled in haha.

The other shows were ok. The Blues Brother's tribute was terrible. We actually left it. Everything else was as expected.

Now Progreso...I can't say much because we did not even leave the pier. We had fun shopping in the stores at the pier. We did a couple of shots and had a beer at one of the bars. I had read that the beach was not so great and we did not feel like the 5 hour bus ride to and from Chitzen Iza. We had a good time and got some good deals right there were the ship docked. There is a silver store and lots of tshirts and knicknacks. I found Azteca vanilla in one of the stores too.

We really loved our cruise and hated when it was over. We did self-assist debark, and we were in our rental car heading to NC by 8:10 AM. I can't wait to go on another cruise. I would love to cruise out of Tampa any time. They make it almost too easy!

I know this is long, but if you have any questions about the Inspiration, Tampa, or anything else..just ask or email me! blindhrtd(@) camattin(.)com

This is weird. We were on the Inspiration Oct 16th and were in Upper 219, right next door. My Brother and Sister in law were in your room. And were also from NC. We loved Iwayan as well. He always had a smile on and keep us happy all week. Glad you had a great cruise.

Andmarnclt

This is weird. We were on the Inspiration Oct 16th and were in Upper 219, right next door. My Brother and Sister in law were in your room. And were also from NC. We loved Iwayan as well. He always had a smile on and keep us happy all week. Glad you had a great cruise.

Andmarnclt

Hi blindhrtd, We like port Tampa also. Leaving on the Miracle this Sunday out of Tampa. We have also sailed the Inspiration and have one booked on her for this coming January. We also sail out of Port Canaveral on hte Glory. The Sensation is scheduled to sail out of Canavearl next year. Same class ship as the Inspiration and the port is just as easy.

??.here goes, we are leaving out of tampa on 11-17 on this ship, you said you went to progresso, did you have to tender in or the the ship pull up to their pier? if not had hard was it to tender. i've got MD so i'm never a sure bet on my feet, also how much was parking at the ship to leave your car? if youvallet did you also tip when they bring your car and how long does it take for them to bring it to you. also was the ship cold?thanks wanda

There is a pier you pull up to in Progresso and there were shuttles to take you into town, very easy to get off the boat. I see posted on the Carnival site that the sailing on 11/17 will go to Cozumel. Not sure but think they will tender, have never tendered so can't offer any information on how easy. It is cool inside the ship, a light sweater or jacket is recommended, they have the AC following freely, some areas were bad and others were downright cool.

Thanks for the review. We are sailing on the Jan 7, 06 Inspiration and can not wait to try Carnival out. We have only sailed Disney with our 4 kids and this trip is kidless - yeah!

We went for the Cat. 11 suite - did you notice the balcony cabins at the very front of the ship? Did they look enjoyable - my vision is relaxing on my nice quiet balcony with plenty of tropical drinks at my side and watching the waves roll by.

We are also staying at the Doubletree Westshore the night before our cruise. Did you notice any golf courses nearby?

We may just have to hit the mall also - we fly in by 10:00 a.m. so we have the whole day to kill.

Glad to hear you did not let the hurricane ruin your vacation!

Here are the movies we had:

Sat: Rebound, Bewitched, War of the Worlds

Sun: Fever Pitch, Herbie Fully Loaded, Son of Mask

Mon: Motor Cross Kids, Madagascar, Monster-in-law

Tue: Captain Planet, Bewitched, Rebound

Wed: Sandlot 2, Batman Begins, War of the Worlds

I know we also saw Mr and Mrs Smith but don't see it posted in the capers. It was shown our last full day at sea....I remember this because it was the only show I watched in the room due to packing. hehehee

Have a wonderful time! Wish I were getting ready to cruise again soon.

Thanks for the review. We are sailing on the Jan 7, 06 Inspiration and can not wait to try Carnival out. We have only sailed Disney with our 4 kids and this trip is kidless - yeah!

We went for the Cat. 11 suite - did you notice the balcony cabins at the very front of the ship? Did they look enjoyable - my vision is relaxing on my nice quiet balcony with plenty of tropical drinks at my side and watching the waves roll by.

We are also staying at the Doubletree Westshore the night before our cruise. Did you notice any golf courses nearby?

We may just have to hit the mall also - we fly in by 10:00 a.m. so we have the whole day to kill.

Glad to hear you did not let the hurricane ruin your vacation!

I did notice the balconies up front. They were ok, but they are by no means private. People out on the front observation deck can look back at you with no problem. The very front of the ship was one of my favorite places. Usually very peaceful and makes you feel like you are the only ones there.

I did not see golf close, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. I would think St. Pete's on the coast would have some good golfing. I would check online or as in the Pre/Post Cruise hotel forum (lots of Tampa info).

The mall was your typical mall. There were lots of shopping and eating places all along Westshore Road. We ate at the Best Western, it had a steakhouse that had 23 dif. margaritas that are 2/5.98.

The Doubletree has a pretty good breakfast buffett in their cafe, and they offer room service as well. There is a steakhouse next to the Doubletree called Charley's. Looks to be very high end.

Ok...one other thing to remember. The Doubletree is across the street from a high school. So that may mean extra traffic in the early morning or around 3. My DH did not realize it was there and looked very concerned when "alarms" (ie. school bells) started going off =)

I was on this same cruise cabin U156, while i agree that the boat was great, i thought Progresso was horrible. The beach was disgusting. I met a few people that went on the ruins excursions, since thats all they offered, that liked them but were pretty tired after an all day bus ride.

I think the worst thing about the cruise was the fact that no one ever told me why we didnt go to Grand cayman. Oh well, i guess I will not cruise on Carnival again, since their customer service was terrible when i called after returning.

Archived