Blue Herons........

Jane110

So how did the marathon go? I hope you had a great run!

I looked for your number but didn't see it.

Did you complete the race?

Jane

P.S. My friend made it in 2:35, so he now qualify's for the Boston Marathon.

Thanks Jane! Yes, I got my number changed and completed the race in 5:32 (net as it took me about 15 minutes to get to the start).

The race was unreal! I can't beleive the crowds! The roar of the spectators at the 59th Street Bridge was unreal. People were 10 deep in some places on First Avenue!

It was a surreal experience.

As a New Yorker you should pat yourself on the back for the love and support the city showed the marathoners. Everywhere we went all weekend people were cheering and congratulating and showing the love.

The crowds in Central Park were insane. There were over 100 live bands along the course.

It was such a gift to see so many parts of New York and the cultural melting pot (Williamsburg and the Hasidic Jews, Spanish Harlem, etc).

If you ever get the bug, do this, run this race. It was worth every bit of sacrifice in the training.

I'll be back and congrats to your friend!

2:35 is almost an Olympic qualifying time and that is unreal he did it in NYC. It is well known to be a long, slow course.

Blue Herons,

Yes, us New Yorkers do love the marathon. Even those of us who are not sports fans love to get out there and cheer you runners on. I'm so glad you felt the energy and warmth from NY's citizens. It's such a personal accomplishment and I really admire anyone that takes the challange, whether they make it to the finish line or not.

As for me, I think I'll stay on the cheerleading side. I do the breast cancer walk every year in Oct. through Central Park. It's not physically challanging for me - thank goodness, it's only 5 miles - but I love doing it.

We went to dinner with our friends the night after the race and I told our waiter that our friend had run the marathon. He pointed to a woman across the room and told us that she ran it also. Everyone in the (small) restaurant gave the two runners a round of applause. It was a lovely moment.

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your time here!

Best,

Jane

CONGRATS Blue Heron!!! - I am truly impressed by your accomplishment and congratulate you on your finish. So glad you also got to enjoy the enthusiasum and genuine warmth of the NYC crowd. They are a remarkable supporter of events like this marathon.

Jane - Much like the marathon, it's also so wonderful to see the annual outpouring of support for the Breast Cancer walks held each year.

NY truly is a compassionate and enthusiastic city. Glad that so many get to experience it.

Archived