Jewish Havana Tour Guide

kibutzer

We will be spending two days in Cuba and looking for a guide recommendation that in addition to Old Havana, art, architecture might include Jewish sites and heritage. We see lots of extensive land tours but we are looking for a single day tour. I have checked Trip Advisor but not much luck getting responses.

TIA for you help

"Regular" guides may not be aware of Jewish sites.

The main/largest synagogue that is called El Patronato is a 1950s era building in Vedado. A taxi driver can find it easily with the published address. It is open during the day, and someone from the office can take you upstairs to the sanctuary, but it is really not very interesting in itself IMO. The young woman who showed me around couldn't have cared less that I was a visiting Jew from the US. She told me there are about 1500 Jews in Cuba, 1100 of them in Havana.This is the synagogue that accepts donations of medicine, etc if you wish to bring some.

Adath Israel has a sign on the main street (and so is not hard to find), but was closed (including offices/school) during a normal day in September this year.

There is a Jewish cemetery in Guanabacoa. (Independencia and Avenida de los Mártires)

The Jewish Museum in Manhattan and the San Francisco JCC have been doing tours for years and might be able to advise you about a knowlegable guide. This name also came up as someone to recommend a guide: Mindy Elkove, Director- National Young LeadershipUIA Canada at meklove@uiafed.org.

Good luck and happy travels.

Edited by VidaNaPraia