Question about Babies on Board?

Hello All,

My wife and I are expecting our first child in February. We are already discussing possibly taking a cruise in 2007. What is the youngest a child can be to cruise with RCCL? Is there usually a discounted rate for a child under the age of 2? Just trying to gather information so we can get back into cruising.

Thanks,

M&C

I am not sure on the minimum age, but I would gather you would want the infant to be at least 6 months just so that their immune system wasnt so new to the world.

As for the rate, no discount, the infant would pay the same as the 3rd or 4th person rate.

There's no discount for kids, they count as a third person whether they're a year or sixteen years old :( I know that RCCL has an aquababies (6-18m) and aquatots (18m-3y/o) program on board - but it's basically a mommy and baby group (as far as I understand). Also, non-potty trained babies are not allowed into the pools, and the ship doesn't provide baby food or forumla. I do believe that they provide in cabin babysitting for those 1 years old and up.

My personal suggestion would be to either go when the baby around 5-7 months old ('cause they're generally pretty easy at that time, you're sort of set into a routine, the baby doesn't require as much maintenance as a 1-4 month old would, and they're generally non-mobile and can be content just sitting and playing with something quietly [of course it depends on an individual baby, for sure]. Once they get older, they start to want to run around, and will be a lot harder to handle, especially in places where they need to sit quietly for a long period of time - they're too young to understand any explanations and too young to actually get into a kids program on board).

I believe a discounted rate for children under the age of two is offered on Disney and definitely on NCL. IMO, if you decide to travel with your child under the age of two on a cruise, I would rather go when they are not walking yet, much easier. Good luck.

I would wait until they're 3 or over and potty trained. Anything younger than that is just a waste of your money.

We started taking my son cruising with us at 15 months old. He will be 4 in December and just came back from his 7th cruise. It's not a waste of money at all if it allows you to be able to go on vacation.

There's no discount for kids, they count as a third person whether they're a year or sixteen years old :( I know that RCCL has an aquababies (6-18m) and aquatots (18m-3y/o) program on board - but it's basically a mommy and baby group (as far as I understand). Also, non-potty trained babies are not allowed into the pools, and the ship doesn't provide baby food or forumla. I do believe that they provide in cabin babysitting for those 1 years old and up.

We cruised with our 7-month-old last month, and it went pretty smoothly. We paid a full fare for the baby on purpose, so we'd have 5 people for a family suite.

Royal Caribbean will provide a Pack-n-Play collapsible playpen on request, and there are a couple of threads around (check the Family Cruising board) about the Aqua Babies and Aqua Tots programs. Those are just 45 minutes, so you will have your baby with you for a lot of the day.

We found cruising with the baby to be more work than our earlier cruises, but we fully enjoyed the cruise, and everyone loved the baby. (We're lucky -- we have a happy baby who likes people.)

In-room babysitting is available for an hourly rate -- you may want to call and get more details, or ask aboard the ship. We didn't use the babysitting, so we can't speak to the details there.

Make sure to bring enough baby supplies -- on a cruise a few years ago, we ran into a worried mother who had run out of diapers. On this most recent cruise, we were amused to see baby wipes available in the sundries/liquor shop, but there were no diapers.

We have a 6 month old and it would take an act of God to get us to take her with us on a cruise. You might be able to still enjoy the cruise with a baby but if you are young and still like to have fun without the worry of your baby being ok with someone on the ship watching them then I wouldn't do it. Luckily we have the grandparents to watch the baby and the other kids here at home so we can enjoy our time together :D My wife and I are the kind of people that go on vacation to get away from the everyday stuff that drive us insane.. Work, worries and KIDS stay home :p

I don't think the OP was asking for opinions on whether or not they should bring the baby, just for RCCL's policies on minimum ages and pricing.

Of course that is not what they asked, but every thread about babies turns into a "bring them, it's wonderful.Or. Don't bring them, it's miserable." thread.

It's the nature of the beast to offer an opinion, even when one was never solicited.

sable

I don't think the OP was asking for opinions on whether or not they should bring the baby, just for RCCL's policies on minimum ages and pricing.

Indeed the OP did not. I will refrain from ever talking about anything other then the exact purpose of the OP's thread. After this post of course. That of course is what makes this board so eventful, the constant on topic conversation.

My husband treated our daughter, son-in-law and 1 year old grandson to a 4 night cruise last August aboard the Sovereign of the Seas. RCCL does not offer any discounts for children; you pay the 3rd/4th person rate due to the number of people a cruise ship can accomodate. I don't think there is an age limit as to when you CAN cruise, but for some reason we thought it was 1 year old. However, we did see babies much younger.

We had a wonderful time, and contrary to what you may read, we did not encounter any stuffy people who would have preferred we left our grandson at home. He was very sweet, and well behaved and most times the encounters we had were from people who had heard of the curly haired sweet little boy on the ship. We had dinner every night in the dining room and Titus enjoyed it as much as we did. All staff members went above and beyond to insure our grandson had a good time, and a lot of attention.

You will most like receive a LOT of negative responses to cruising with a small child. Ignore them, and do what you want. It's your money, and your vacation. However, if the child does become upset and whiny, remove him from the situation in order for your fellow cruisers to be able to enjoy what THEY also paid to enjoy. And....if you decide to take a stroller, take the small umbrella one that is easy to maneuver, and easy to get out of other people's way.

Cruising is what you make out of......enjoy your time away. Vacations are for FAMILIES - not time to get AWAY from your children. If you want to get away from them, why have them in the first place.

Cruising is what you make out of......enjoy your time away. Vacations are for FAMILIES - not time to get AWAY from your children. If you want to get away from them, why have them in the first place.

Ok, one more then never again :p One, i don't have a problem with ppl bringing their kids on with them if they are well behaved and actually monitored by their parents. People of all ages can make any type of vacation one to forget.

As far as not having kids in the first place if you aren't going to take them on vacations with you is one of the funniest things I have ever heard. Indeed a good laugh. :D :D I'm only 27 years old and already my kids have more than I ever had. My parents never took me on a cruise when I was a kid and guess what, I never had a problem with it and I think everything in my life is ok. :p Not that that should be a reason not to take kids with you on a cruise (because you never went as a kid), it's just that it depends on what your priorities are and why you are taking a cruise. Each to their own.

It is just how we do things, it is nice to get to spend alone time with each other, be romantic, enjoy each other's conversation all without the worries of who wants to watch which tv show, who's got who's toy stuck in the toilet..etc. Maybe it's just us, but I sure think having one week if not two weeks out of the year for just you and your spouse is the least you can do stay in touch with each other emotionally and ....ummm...physically of course :p . Obviously you have to do those things all year round, but this gives you the chance to do nothing but.

Thank you and goodnight...lol

Hello All,

What is the youngest a child can be to cruise with RCCL?

Our son's first cruise (Alaska) was when he was 4 months. Thing is, you gotta' take a lotta' stuff! It was worth it, though. At that age, really very easy since they're not very mobile.

First of all Congratulations!!!!What an exciting time for you.RCI does not offer a discount for babies.They pay the 3rd/4th person rate.It varies depending on when you cruise.There is no minimum age.They do offer some parent/baby programs.You would tip for a baby the same as you would for any 3rd/4th person.We have been taking out now 19 year old daughter since she was a baby and always enjoyed it.Again congratulations on the baby and have a great cruise!!!

As for the rate, no discount, the infant would pay the same as the 3rd or 4th person rate.

I just thought I'd mention that Holland America does discount the 3rd/4th passenger rate for a child under 2. We are taking our son (19 mo. old) next month and they only charged us about a third of what the regular price was for a 3rd/4th pax.

As far as I know, HAL is the only line that does this. We are booked for next year on RCCL and, although there is no additional discount for a young child, the 3rd/4th pax rates are very low, so we're happy!

Hello All,

My wife and I are expecting our first child in February. We are already discussing possibly taking a cruise in 2007. What is the youngest a child can be to cruise with RCCL? Is there usually a discounted rate for a child under the age of 2? Just trying to gather information so we can get back into cruising.

Congratulations! By 2007 you should be fine. Below is some info I gathered for you regarding babies & RCCL. If you sail after the baby's first birthday, you'll be able to avail yourself of in cabin babysitting, which will give you some alone time. They do not have 'babyfood' on the cruise ship, but in researching I read where the maitre'd will have food pureed for you if you need it. We took my son when he was 14 months and he really enjoyed the fruit soups....so the maitre'd had one for him every night without even asking! (Best Maitre'D we ever had, but that's another story).

MINIMUM AGE TO SAIL: There is no minimum age for children to sail, however, the cruise line recommends that no infants younger than 6 months of age are brought on a cruise.

CRIBS AVAILABLE: Limited, make sure to request at time of booking. Bed railings are not available.

STROLLERS AVAILABLE ONBOARD: No. Baby foods, diapers and formulas are also not available onboard Royal Caribbean ships, so make sure to plan accordingly.

SPECIAL KIDS RATES: Except during promotions, children pay the third/fourth person rate. Special children's shore excursion rates are offered in Mexico's Baja Peninsula, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Alaska, and the Mexican Riviera.

Happy Sailing.

I would wait until they're 3 or over and potty trained. Anything younger than that is just a waste of your money.

That is pretty silly to throw out a blanket statement like that. It's not a waste if you enjoy it. OP didn't say they wanted to know the age they can put a child in Adenture Ocean.

Ok, one more then never again :p One, i don't have a problem with ppl bringing their kids on with them if they are well behaved and actually monitored by their parents. People of all ages can make any type of vacation one to forget.

As far as not having kids in the first place if you aren't going to take them on vacations with you is one of the funniest things I have ever heard. Indeed a good laugh. :D :D I'm only 27 years old and already my kids have more than I ever had. My parents never took me on a cruise when I was a kid and guess what, I never had a problem with it and I think everything in my life is ok. :p Not that that should be a reason not to take kids with you on a cruise (because you never went as a kid), it's just that it depends on what your priorities are and why you are taking a cruise. Each to their own.

It is just how we do things, it is nice to get to spend alone time with each other, be romantic, enjoy each other's conversation all without the worries of who wants to watch which tv show, who's got who's toy stuck in the toilet..etc. Maybe it's just us, but I sure think having one week if not two weeks out of the year for just you and your spouse is the least you can do stay in touch with each other emotionally and ....ummm...physically of course :p . Obviously you have to do those things all year round, but this gives you the chance to do nothing but.

Thank you and goodnight...lol

It's obvious you're still very much immature yourself or you would not have tried to make my post into somthing it wasn't intended to be. Doing things as a couple is very much important to ANY relationship. And as far as your kids having more than you - well, whose kids don't? That being said, what our kids have or don't have is not relevant to this thread.

I never cruised when I was a child, either - didn't even know there was such a thing as cruising. My parents couldn't have afforded it even if I'd known about it -for themselves, or for my sister and me. But we did take vacations together and those are memories that I will treasure for the rest of my life. I, however have been fortunate enough to introduce my children to things I never knew existed. Nowhere in my post did I even suggest that your kids should go everywhere you go. I just believe that if you're going to experience something truly amazing and you have the opportunity to experience it with your child, it's an awesome feeling. Experiencing new things through the eyes of a child cannot be duplicated.

My husband and I have two daughters, ages 22 and 28. When they were home with us, we always took time for ourselves, many times several times a year. When I was 27, I thought things would always be the way they were then. In retrospect, if I could do things differently, I would have done a lot more with my kids than I did - and believe me, I was your typical soccer mom - I didn't miss anything if I could help it. And I still have regrets. Take time for yourself, but don't lose sight of the fact that once your kids are grown, you can't get go back and make more time with them. They will be 27 themselves all too soon.

Everyone has a different idea of what their priorities should be. Good laughs, as you so delicately put it, are intimidation tactics, and they don't work with me. Trying to bring attention to yourself by making light of another person's opinions don't work for me either.

Oh, one more thing. Your last statement about "obviously you *have* to do those things all year round" raised a red flag for me. If you feel like you have to do those things, then what is the purpose in getting away to do them. Btw - I'm sure that's not what you meant - just wanted you to know what it's like being on the receiving end of someone else's perception of one of YOUR statements. You should try not to read so much into other people's post in the future.

You're welcome, and have a good evening......

It's obvious you're still very much immature yourself

bla bla bla, nanny nanny boo, :p :p :p , I know you are but what am I...

LOL, sorry just had to do it...LOL

I really didn't even care that you don't agree with me or that your opinion is what it is. Sometimes ppl just need to lighten up. Really, I was laughing. Not at you, but at the concept of not having kids if you won't travel with them. They will go on vacations, just not all.

I completely disagree with your blanket comment about cruising while younger than 3 is a waste of money.

We are taking our one and only son on his first cruise next month (not to mention that it's my husband's first cruise) -- Our son will be 19 months old.

We are, in fact, very excited to be taking our first "real" family vacation together! We know it will be time consuming having an active, energetic 19 month old on board with us, but we're prepared and are excited to be getting to experience our first cruise together, as a family!

That is pretty silly to throw out a blanket statement like that. It's not a waste if you enjoy it. OP didn't say they wanted to know the age they can put a child in Adenture Ocean.

"Adenture" Ocean??? Is that the children's club on HAL???!!!:D

I am picturing babies and toddlers floating around in a sea of those chattering teeth thingies.:eek:

Sorry, I know we are not to make fun of people's misspellings.

But that one was too hard to resist.

sable

Of course that is not what they asked, but every thread about babies turns into a "bring them, it's wonderful.Or. Don't bring them, it's miserable." thread.

It's the nature of the beast to offer an opinion, even when one was never solicited.

sable

Yes, that is what makes threads like this so painfully annoying on an otherwise helpful and informative board.

FWIW, My 4 year old is going on her fifth cruise next moth and my 1 year old on his second. We've had some great experiences cruising with them and one not so great. I don't offer an opinion one way or another on what OP should do except have a good time whatever the decision.

Archived