Another DREAM information request

MicheleLM

I just called NCL and asked a few questions.

I asked if they had feather pillows... she said NO

I asked if they were adding Cozumel to maybe my trip?... she said they have not been told Cozumel has been added at all.

I asked if we could bringk cokes (in cans) and or water.... she said ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! Only if I were drinking one when I was boarding, otherwise it would all be confiscated.

I asked if the engone had been fixed (just to see what they would say).. she said a month ago! I knew I was in trouble at that point! I also told her reading on the Cruise Critic boards they say we are allowed to bring cokes and water... and she then put me on hold and said - like I told you before and my supervisor confirms, you cannot bring any cokes on board.

HELP??? Is this something they would take... or is it a rule they just don't enforce? I need your help.. I don't want to bring some things they will just take away!

THANK YOU!!!

Michele:)

NCL DREAM 11/26/05

NCL SEA 5/99

I've yet to see them enforce that rule. We've taken soda & water on all 3 of our cruises. We've checked it in our luggage, and the last time the 2 suitcases that contained the water & soda were delivered much later -- apparently it triggered something in the security check. I don't think I'd put it inside my luggage in the future. Either carry it on, or check it as it's own luggage. I know there's a recent post from Zydecocruiser that her water made it safely on the Sun at the start of this week. I think she just checked it through with a luggage tag on it.

As with anything else, however, there is no guarantee that they won't start enforcing the policy. All you can do it try and see!

Here's the FAQ from NCL's site:

What can't I bring onboard?

Passenger is not allowed to bring onboard the vessel without the previous written permission of the Carrier any intoxicating liquors, or beverages, firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature, nor animals of any kind, except service or guide animals, provided the passenger notifies Carrier prior to the cruise of his intention to bring such animal and agrees to take sole responsibility for any expense, damage, injuries or losses associated with or caused by such animal.

So based on the positions of the commas, it appears they do have a policy prohibiting you from bringing coke, water, or any other beverage on board.

I asked if we could bringk cokes (in cans) and or water.... she said ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! Only if I were drinking one when I was boarding, otherwise it would all be confiscated.

Michele:)

My wife will be drinking out of a 2 ltr bottle (as will I) when we board. Then, at each port we'll both also have another 2 ltr bottle when we get back on board ;)

Seriously, we've never had problems with getting soda on board (we just put it in our carryon and don't try to hide it at all). We just bring a couple bottles and drink it in our cabin. But it does seem they have a rule against it, that hasn't been enforced in the past, and if they elect to enforce it in the future, they'll just have to decide if the bad feelings with their customers is justified by the additional revenue they generate. And the customers will have to decide if the additional cost is enough to continue sailing with them or not.

-Monte

I read that a little differently. No intoxicating liquors or beverages..I think that 'beverages' refers to beer, wine etc and not coke or water. On every one of our cruises I've brought diet coke aboard and had no problems. And as someone recently posted, $4.50 for a bottle of water is ridiculous!! I'm going to bring 1 or 2 6/packs of coke and the same of water on our 12/4 Sun cruise and will report back as to whether it was confiscated.

I think if you call and ask, 'NO' is just the standard reply as they would much rather sell you theirs!!

Like mbisson, I have never had any problem bringing a couple of bottles of water on board or for that matter bringing a couple of soft drinks. It may be that they choose to ignore a small amount but might object to a couple of cases - I really don't know.

One other interesting note: On our first cruise, I had a 1/2 finished (20 oz) bottle of diet Dr. Pepper in my hand while we were boarding. Going through security, they made me open it and take a swig -- so just be prepared!

We just recently went on the Dawn, and we brought on a 12 pack of Diet Cokes in St. Thomas. We put 6 each loose in our backpacks and nobody questioned it when it went through the x ray.

Later on in Nassau we tried the same with a few beers, although this time we had bottles and the security guy dropped one of our bags on the way into the machine :eek: causing a loud crash, but all turned out well in the end as none broke.

I don't think you will have a problem discreetly bringing some soda on.

I think discretion is key. There are numerous stories of people bringing a few cans on board without any issue. A couple of years ago I did see I guy who arrived with 4 cases of pop, and they would not let him bring them on board. I would say 4 cases wasn't being discrete.

I have brought 2 12 packs of soda for two cabins onboard. The only problem was the person checking tried to embarrass me by asking stupid questions like Was I to cheap to buy onboard? another time I was asked if I thought that was enough. Give them an nasty answer and they go away. The intimidation factor is being used to stop others from doing the same. (I don't want to be embarrassed like that guy) If you act like it is normal and you are not intimidated you can bring soda pop onboard there is nothing illegal about it.

Archived