Koningsdam 9-10 month employee contracts

oatbagg1

We cruised 12/4-12/14 on Ms K. I spoke to several ship employees who said their contracts were ending at Christmas. The Spa girls are 9 month contracts, the Spa director & medis are 7-month contracts and room stewards are 10-month. Our room steward said he will take time off then go to work on a different ship. The nail tech said she was departing home to Serbia and then wants to work on private yachts. I wonder how this turnover (as Ms K is new) affects the cruises coming up. any thoughts? PS They still work 14-hr days.

Those contracts seem normal.

We have been on ships when there was a huge turnover during the day we were staying over for the next cruise. Yes there was some confusion and workers were adjusting to their jobs for the first couple of days. But for the most part, all the new crew settled in fairly quickly.

We have encountered crew that work more than 14 hours a day.

I also believe the crew are overworked. They can not complain though since they earn more than in their home country. The manning agencies that they are in contract with have an abundance of skilled crew personnel who are on wait list to be assigned to ships, including Ms K. However, no matter how skilled and efficient these crews are, the newly assigned crews needs to adjust and work together as a team. This may require some time to develop and might affect the service of the cruises coming up. JMHO.

A lot of contracts are 6 months. These having been the inaugural voyages, I wonder if they were asking for longer contracts to maintain continuity while figuring out the new ship, her venues and idiosyncrasies?

This is absolutely wrong.

A FEW (VERY FEW) contracts are 6 months. These are management and entertainment positions.

85% of the crew are working 10 plus months every year.

The mass market cruise lines are too cheap to shorten contracts and pay for additional air tickets for most crew to go home on holiday more often than once per year.

Edited by BruceMuzz

This is absolutely wrong.

A FEW (VERY FEW) contracts are 6 months. These are management and entertainment positions.

85% of the crew are working 10 plus months every year.

The mass market cruise lines are too cheap to shorten contracts and pay for additional air tickets for most crew to go home on holiday more often than once per year.

I'm just repeating what our steward and a few of the bar staff we got to know told us last January. I wouldn't be surprised if there are incentives for longer contracts, but I have no knowledge of this.

Edited by blizzardboy