Spanx vs. Hanes

RumRunner01

Hi Ladies! I have been thinking about getting some Spanx (mid-thigh ones) and most people seem to love them. But they are so darn expensive. And then there's the mention here that you'd want to get a size larger. Well, I'm a larger girl, between plus sizes and regular sizes when it comes to this stuff. I hate wearing these garments as it is and was wondering if it's really worth the investment. I have bought them before and never used them since they "hurt" to put on and then are so uncomfortable.

So, I have seen people on here mention Hanes makes something similar to Spanx for less money. Here's my question for those who have tried the Hanes ones.... do they have the band at the thigh? That's most of my problem - the sausage effect. I liked that he Spanx did not have the bands and anything that has a band would definitely give me the sausage effect. I just need something to smooth out the thigh area for under dresses, and not pantyhose.

Thank you!

Amy

I have never owned a pair of Spanx. I have owned the Hanes brand and it seems I do recall the band at the bottom of the thigh. If not there, wouldn't they start to roll up?

I think the advice to go the next size up is probably a good idea to avoid that sausage effect. It should smoothe you out, not displace the curves.

rumrunner - I've tried about every brand of control undergarments known to woman, and all have been disasters but for Spanx. I can't remember Hanes specifically, but I'm sure I've tried it at some point. Spanx have never left lines or bulges for me, and they wear very well. I do think they are worth the price because I'll actually wear them, rather than letting them sit in a drawer making it a waste of money in the first place. I never went up a size though - I even bought the top with the inner Spanx lining and went down a size (the salesperson's suggestion) and it is my 'go-to' black top. Some stores may allow you to try them on (with your own undergarments beneath, of course), so I would ask, try one on if you can, and see how it works for you. Everyone's body is so different, it's hard to say what will work for you. Good luck!

And, no, I don't work for Spanx or own stock....:D I just am happy to find something that finally works for me!

I've got the same issue. I haven't liked the Hanes version at all, but that is just me. As for the spanx, I bought the skirt with the inner lining off Ebay (so obviously I couldn't try it first) and went a size up for the reason of wanting smoothing not squishing. Well, way too big. So definitely try your own size first as they seem to run pretty true to size

As I was channel surfing late one night, :rolleyes: I saw an infomercial for a control undergarment. It starts right under your bra line and goes to just above the knee. I can't remember the name of it. It looked like it might work out pretty well, since I don't want everthing to be pushed out between bra line and waist if I wear something that is only from waist to thigh. Has anyone seen this, tried it, or know the name or website??:confused:

As I was channel surfing late one night, :rolleyes: I saw an infomercial for a control undergarment. It starts right under your bra line and goes to just above the knee. I can't remember the name of it. It looked like it might work out pretty well, since I don't want everthing to be pushed out between bra line and waist if I wear something that is only from waist to thigh. Has anyone seen this, tried it, or know the name or website??:confused:

I know spanx has something like that called "higher power". I wanted to try it actually... http://www.spanx.com/pls/enetrixp/!stmenu_template.main?proc_to_call_in=&this_object_id_in=681433&proc_this_object_id_in=681433&this_object_type_in=page&proc_this_object_type_in=page&top_category_id_in=479039&proc_top_category_id_in=479039&section_id_in=477024&proc_section_id_in=477024&this_parent_category_id_in=481292&proc_this_parent_category_id_in=481292&template_name_in=stmenu_template.main&proc_template_name_in=stmenu_template.main&proc_to_call_in=enetrix_templates.product_page4&proc_param1=N&proc_param2=Y&proc_param3=Y&proc_param4=Y&proc_param5=Y&proc_param6=Y

other than that, I haven't seen one

OK...I looked up the Spanx Higher Power and really like the looks of it...looks comfortable and will give me the smoother look I'm looking for. My question is...how do I know what size I am? I looked under 'size' and it's just letters and I could not find ANYWHERE on the website where it explained the sizing system! If anyone has ordered from them before maybe you can help me out. I'm pretty much a size 14.

Thanks!

Julie

I have a pair of the Spanx Power Panties and love them. They come down to the mid-thigh area and while my legs aren't exactly skinny, I've never had a problem with them rolling up. I had originally been concerned about that, too.

I get mine at www.barenecessities.com and I can usually find an online coupon. I found a checkout promotional code of "THKU05" that expires Nov. 30th.

This is my absolute favorite! They are great under dresses.

Spanx come out with a similar piece (don't think it is called Higher Power and I found it with the hanging control garments, not the boxed ones) that has loops to attached it to your own bra, so it is almost like a full body garment, but the comfort of your own bra. I highly recommend both of these!

I bought Spanx from QVC. They are too tight on me and I bought the largest size. I carry my weight in my thighs and am a size 16-18.

I found them to be very uncomfortable as they were too small.

Just my experience.

I use both the Spanx Power Panty and Higher Power. The only "control" shapers that don't bind or roll-up for me. I originally heard about them on TV in an interview with Gwyneth Paltrow (as if she has bulges!). She said the Hollywood gals wear two pairs to look sleek in their evening wear.

B

I use both the Spanx Power Panty and Higher Power. The only "control" shapers that don't bind or roll-up for me. I originally heard about them on TV in an interview with Gwyneth Paltrow (as if she has bulges!). She said the Hollywood gals wear two pairs to look sleek in their evening wear. B

Do they run pretty true to size? I wear a size 14 and figured I should get the size C?

I just bought Spanx Higher Power for my cruise....they do run true to size. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. Actually......I want to wear them every day. They're THAT comfortable....and make ALL my clothes look better. I've been hunting down a nude pair....but can't find them. So I have my black ones. The Higher Power doesn't have the straps that hook to your bra.....the body shaper does. But no biggie......the Higher power was $34 and the body shaper is $68.

Check the size chart......they also have measurements if you're unsure.

PS-you can find Spanx on Ebay for a lot less!

I just got my Spanx in the mail. One pair of power panties and then a pair of the footless hose. The power panties are awesome! I've lost about 30 pounds - 5'7" and 129 lbs now, but can never get rid of those wobbly saddle bags on my thighs. And I walk ALOT! With the power panties, I can finally wear those flowy dresses and pants! I can't thank all of you enough for recommending these...

Yay!!!!

Ok, ladies, I went around town here (terrible shopping in my area) and no one had Spanx. And I'm too late to order some for my cruise I leave on 11/18. I did find the Hanes ones at the outlet store for $9.99. They had several versions and I bought one that was most similar to Spanx. There is stitching around the bottom leg portion but I wouldn' really call it a seam. When I tried them on t did not go the sausage effect. And they were more like putting on a pair of Spandex biking shorts. Very easy to put on and not uncomfortable for the couple minutes they were on (those other ones hurt me going on not to mention just being on). So I bought them. They will be put to the test very soon

What is the major difference between the "higher power" shaper and the thigh length body suit? I'm interested in getting one of these but I can't really figure out what (other than the bra strap thingies) is different. Are the bra strap connectors really worth the extra $$$$??

Thanks for your help!!!!

I am a plus size person (ok, truth is I am a plus plus) and I love spanx. It is the only brand I use. I like that I can move in it. I do find that if I have to wear it ALL day I do get a little sick of it after about 10 hours (some of my days get long). I would suggest trying them...

Ok...for those out there who have tried the Higher Power Spanx: How much of a hassle are they to pull down to use the restroom (something I have to do rather frequently, it seems!!):o And where do you find the ones that attach to your bra?

I found a nude pair on Ebay in my size that were cheaper, but am just leery of using Ebay for lingerie...

Archived