Prisendam, Istanbul, Sept 15, 2006

gael

I am new at this...hopefully I got it right this time!!! The ship leaves from Istanbul with a great itinerary but I will arrive in Istanbul about a week early since I have not been there before. I would appreciate any suggestions on finding a guide (this will be my first time alone) good information on buying rugs and gold jewelry, a nice hotel that isn't "too american" in flavor and is convenient to many "must see" attractions. Any help will be appreciated. Gael

Statendam, Alaska, 2004

• 4 months later...

Gael,

I am booked on this cruise. I have never been to Istanbul and have been reading the Eyewitness Travel Guide to Istanbul which is very good. I also printed out an excellent article from the New York Times from October 8, 2000 titled Two Continents, Three Days which details recommended sightseeing for Istanbul if one has 3 days. I have booked my air to arrive in Istanbul 4 nights pre-cruise and plan to do solo sightseeing probably booking day tours. I saw a small hotel in Sultanahmet mentioned on a different thread and will probably try booking it.

I was on the Prinsendam for 6 weeks in 1998 with my late husband around South America when the ship was owned by Cunard and sailed as the Royal Viking Sun.

Regards,

Margi

Archived