Boston South Station question

jenjens1023

I'm not going on a cruise (boo hoo), but flying to Boston to see my daughter. I'm looking at taking the silver line from Logan to South Station, then the Framingham/Worchester Line to her town. The on-line trip planner only gives me five minutes to get from the bus to the train. Is that enough time or will I need to trample people while yelling "I'm a mom on a mission"? Is it easy to figure out where I'm going when I get off the bus? Will crying pitifully help?

Thank you!

I'm not going on a cruise (boo hoo), but flying to Boston to see my daughter. I'm looking at taking the silver line from Logan to South Station, then the Framingham/Worchester Line to her town. The on-line trip planner only gives me five minutes to get from the bus to the train. Is that enough time or will I need to trample people while yelling "I'm a mom on a mission"? Is it easy to figure out where I'm going when I get off the bus? Will crying pitifully help?

Thank you!

I wouldn't rely on the trip planner. What time does your flight arrive and what airline? What date are you doing this? What exact train station are you going to?

The Silver Line leaves you in the South Station Red line station. You have to go up one level to the concourse level and follow the signs to the station so you exit on the correct side of Summer St. If you have luggage, you will have to wait for the elevator to go between the Silver Line platform and the concourse. There are escalators up to the train station lobby. Once in the station you need to buy a train ticket from the ticket machine. All this will take you more than 5 minutes.

For a first timer, 5 minutes probably won't be enough time. The Silver runs every 8 minutes but may run late if heavy traffic on the T. Once in the lobby of South station you must check the departure board to find which tract from which your train leaves. Rushing around is part of getting around in Boston. You may just have to wait until the next commuter train for Framingham. I'm not sure but it was possible to pay for your ticket on the train for an extra fee during rush hour.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

So answer the questions I asked so we can give you a more informed answer.

Sorry, Pilgrim seemed to be able to give me an answer without all the details, so I didn't think they would really matter. February 1, haven't booked yet so I don't have a time but it will be evening, American Airlines, Westborough

Sorry, Pilgrim seemed to be able to give me an answer without all the details, so I didn't think they would really matter. February 1, haven't booked yet so I don't have a time but it will be evening, American Airlines, Westborough

American uses the 2nd part of terminal B, so the Silver Line stops outside on the lower level.

You are traveling on a Monday, so the trains run to Westborough at 7:45 pm, 8:30, 9:35, 10:30, and 11:30 and run more frequently between 4-7 pm -http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/lines/?route=WORCSTER&direction=O&timing=W&RedisplayTime=Redisplay+Time

That's actually a pretty good schedule. Terminal B part 2 is actually on the small side, so you can get outside pretty quickly if you don't have checked luggage. The buses are scheduled to run every 12 minutes and it takes about 20 minutes to get to South Station from Terminal B part 2. There are electronic signs that will tell you how many minutes until the next Silver Line bus. As was said before, the buses may not run precisely on time because they are affected by street traffic in the Seaport area, traffic in the Ted Williams tunnel, and Logan Airport traffic.

So the reality is that you are at risk for waiting up to an hour for a train. South Station is not a bad place to hang out for an hour. It has lots of amenities including free wifi - http://www.south-station.net/amenities-dining-retail/ IMO much better than hanging out at the airport.

It might be better to have your daughter just pick you up at the airport.

I've definitely thought of that, but she will have just moved to the area and I didn't want her to have to deal with crazy Boston driving.

As you suggested, I could take a train part-way (maybe toward Newton) so she doesn't have to drive all the way to the airport.

If your daughter is in Westborough, its very easy to get to the airport. All she has to do is hop on the Pike and keep going until she gets to the airport. The only crazy Boston driving is on the highway, if there is traffic. If you are coming in on a Monday evening, traffic to the airport shouldn't be too bad. Might hit a little leaving the airport.

I live just south of Westborough.

The other option as I previously mentioned would be the Logan Express. You pick it up right outside the terminal, and it will bring you to Framingham. One way fare is $12.00. The depot in Framingham is right off the Pike.

If your daughter is in Westborough, its very easy to get to the airport. All she has to do is hop on the Pike and keep going until she gets to the airport. The only crazy Boston driving is on the highway, if there is traffic. If you are coming in on a Monday evening, traffic to the airport shouldn't be too bad. Might hit a little leaving the airport.

I live just south of Westborough.

The other option as I previously mentioned would be the Logan Express. You pick it up right outside the terminal, and it will bring you to Framingham. One way fare is $12.00. The depot in Framingham is right off the Pike.

I hadn't thought of the Logan Express which is an excellent idea. I would not recommend a new comer to drive to the airport. Having lived in the Boston area for 50 years I would say the Boston driving is crazy on both highways and streets.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app