Military rate? Refund?

familyfuncruise

We booked military rate and know there is a chance my son will not be able to go. Will we get a refund for him? Has anyone ever booked using military rate and if so what was your experience? We do have carnival's insurance. I hope everything works out for him but wanted to check into it just in case. Thanks in advance for the help. Proud Air Force mom

I'm retired Army and we used the military rates a lot, we have never had any issues with the military rate. Of course being military means there is always a chance that the service members plans can change at the last moment. We have always bought travel insurance from a third party that includes a military clause that allows us to cancel for any military reason. Carnival does not offer this option. We have found third party travel insurance is cheaper and better than the cruise insurance. Just do a web search for travel insurance and you will have lots of options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Is the son that might not be able to go the military person?

If you can provide a copy of his orders you might buy some goodwill with Carnival and be allow to cancel.

If he is the military person and is not able to go your rate code my change.

With the limited amount of information you have provided it might be best to contact Carnival directly and you may wish to ask to speak with a supervisor as yours is not a typical situation.

Best of luck for a positive resolution.

We booked military rate and know there is a chance my son will not be able to go. Will we get a refund for him? Has anyone ever booked using military rate and if so what was your experience? We do have carnival's insurance. I hope everything works out for him but wanted to check into it just in case. Thanks in advance for the help. Proud Air Force mom

This is sort of a complex answer. So I'll give the short version. If he would not be going for a reason outlined as acceptable under Carnival's insurance, then you'd likely be able to get a refund so long as you have all the documentation. But, if the reason he would have to miss were not to be covered, you would lose your fare. Unless you cancelled before final payment there will be some amount that you lose. This is copied and pasted from the CCL website:

Once your booking is within our cancellation penalty period, the amount of penalty will increase as the cruise departure approaches. When calculating the days prior to sailing, the day of sailing should not be considered as one of the days. The day of sailing is considered the first day of the cruise.

From the final payment date to 56 days prior to sailing (or 46 days prior to sailing for cruises 5 days or less), the penalty is the deposit amount.

From 55 days prior to sailing to 30 days prior to sailing (or 45 to 30 days prior to sailing on cruises 5 days or less), the penalty is 50% of the total fare or the deposit amount, whichever is greater.

From 29 to15 days prior to sailing, the penalty is 75% of the total fare or the deposit amount, whichever is greater.

From 14 days prior to sailing to the day of your cruise, the penalty is 100%* of the total fare.

No refunds will be made if you do not show up for your cruise or if you interrupt or cancel your vacation once it has begun.

We booked military rate and know there is a chance my son will not be able to go. Will we get a refund for him?

If the sailing you are referring to is the Magic on April 8th in your signature, your final payment isn't due until January 23rd. That's 75 days before the sail date. So up until 1/23/17 your booking is fully refundable if booked with the Military rate.

So yes, you can get a refund for him not going (based on the 3rd passenger rate) and if you chose to you could cancel the entire cruise for a 100% refund with no penalties.

If you are referring to another cruise that's not in your signature and leaving next week or next month and is already after final payment, you can disregard the above.

70% of our cruises are booked at military rates.

Good discounts.

No problems so far...

We believe that cruise lines that are headquartered or operate in U.S. ports should refund or at least allow free changes to any active or reserve military members who can show orders for deployment.

Who knows?

Maybe they'll get more business from military families with that policy...

Is the son that might not be able to go the military person?

If you can provide a copy of his orders you might buy some goodwill with Carnival and be allow to cancel.

If he is the military person and is not able to go your rate code my change.

With the limited amount of information you have provided it might be best to contact Carnival directly and you may wish to ask to speak with a supervisor as yours is not a typical situation.

Best of luck for a positive resolution.

Yes my son is the military person. I will check with Carnival to see what our options are. Thank you for the quick response.