Where are U staying in I'bul pre-cruise(s)?

cruisin'cats

We're on the Nautica 5-17-06 cruise and will be coming into Istanbul a day earlier than the cruise begins. I have heard from another cruiser on our sailing about their choice and we're considering another. I was wondering where everyone who is going/has gone already likes to/wants to stay.

PS--hubby is looking at the Conde Nast listings of the top 100 list in this month's magazine and is seeing The Four Seasons Istanbul at the top of the European list and #4 on the whole wide world list and checking for availability while drooling on his keyboard...I agree that the photos look amazing but am not sold on it yet.

So share/suggest please. I'm looking forward to considering other ideas.

Thanks! :-)

We're on the July 14 Nautica and have opted for the Conrad Istanbul...It's a Hilton property and supposedly 5-star (AAA 5 Diamond). I've seen some mixed reviews, but people I know and trust who've been there tell me it's very nice...maybe not the most convenient location but cabs are cheap...and we were able to get it directly from Hilton for a mere $112.50 per night...

http://conradhotels.hilton.com/en/ch/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=ISTHCCI

It seems to be a great value based on quality/price

We have stayed at several - including the Hilton and Conrad. However, our preference right now is the Swissotel Bosphorus. A great location, overlooking the sea, not far from anything and superb service. We will probably stay there prior to our Istanbul to Singapore cruise on Nov. 27, 2006.

:)

We have stayed at several - including the Hilton and Conrad. However, our preference right now is the Swissotel Bosphorus.

With the deal we got, I doubt we'd change it...

But, I'm curious, Rickey, since you've stayed at the Conrad, please let me know what you think of it...Thanks...

QUOTE:our preference right now is the Swissotel Bosphorus. A great location, overlooking the sea, not far from anything and superb service. We will probably stay there prior to our Istanbul to Singapore cruise on Nov. 27, 2006

Rickey, what did you like about the Swissotel? Do all rooms have Bosphorus views?

Steve--I've seen your posting about the Conrad before and heard that others had mixed feelings about it but if you find that people you trust liked it, I would bet you'll be OK.

I do like smaller inns (big fan of B&B's and small country inns) but for one night before boarding ship I would do with some comfortable and convenient lodging. PLUS once we started looking in the price range=to the precruise packages, the Swissotel has advantages b/c of the included Xfers and, I think, no differential charges from Oceania for coming in early. Neil (my husband) is calling our agent tonight to see what her take on this is, but am still interested in other's experiences.

Thanks,

Helene

...PLUS once we started looking in the price range=to the precruise packages' date=' the Swissotel has advantages b/c of the included Xfers and, I think, no differential charges from Oceania for coming in early. [/quote']

Helene,

We actually went through much of the same thought process...

I first looked at booking the Swissotel through Oceania...The hotel gets good reviews on TripAdvisor.com (where it's rated #14 out of 301 in Istannbul--the Conrad is #51)...

The Oceania offered price of $249 per person for one night seemed reasonable enough, especially including transfers...

I tried looking up a price for them, booking direct or using Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Venere, etc. but everything on our dates...and even on other dates at random came back with "Sold out" or "not available"...Punching in dates in 2005 (Maybe 2006 is not posted yet?), I found the lowest rate at the Swissotel at $200 US...

So, I figured Two nights (We don't want to stay just one) would be $400 plus the cost of taxis...Oceania's package says, basically, $500 for ONE night, including transfers...The website just shows the one night, the Oceania brochure shows a two-night package for $399 pp...so, call it $800...

Since doing my own hotel means a deviation on the air (and I know what that costs because I'm doing it), that's another $300 if I do my own...In other words, same Swissotel, same two nights, it's $700 plus the cost of taxis versus $800 with included transfers...You are right--it's close to a wash...For that, I'd rather have Oceania handle the details...

What complicated things was that we also wanted to do a post-cruise two nights in Venice...and the Oceania hotel deals there are WAY out of whack ($499 pp for one night at the Sheraton, $699 pp for one night at the Gritti Palace), so, we'd have to do the deviations anyway...

So, at that point, you blend that deviation cost into both ends of the cruise...

And, since I wasn't tied into the Swissotel, I started looking for alternatives--which is how I came up with the Conrad...

As it works out, we're paying approximately $580 US for four hotel nights (2 in Istanbul, two in Venice) plus $300 in deviation fees and costs plus taxis, water taxis, etc....maybe a little over $1000...Doing the hotels and transfers through Oceania, it would have cost us that same amount for just one night post-cruise in Venice!

I don't mind smaller local places, but my wife has a major phobia about small local hotels in very foreign places...So, her comfort level is fine with staying with a large American hotel chain in places like Istanbul...

Steve,

You're amazing with all the figuring...

Once Neil started looking at the 4 Seasons website, which was showing some package with breakfast included for something like $500 USD for one night, I began to revisit the idea of the Oceania precruise package at the Swissotel. We were already going to consider paying the deviation fees, our own transfers, etc., but if we booked through Oceania this would become a moot point. I have heard of some other wonderful hotels and inns but it's all back to the question of who is minding the passengers and the ship. I guess this is how Oceania figures out how to keep the passengers overnight at those prices. So, with the Swissotel coming in with good rec's I'm willing to consider this option through the cruiseline and leave the worries to them. Our CA is out for a few more hours tonight so we'll talk to her later about this. To be honest, she's not all that familiar with Oceania and will probably have to make the same phone call I could but that's why she's getting her cut of the $$, right?

Tell your wife that we've stayed at some wonderful B&B's and country inns in England,Scotland, Holland, and Belgium that were wonderful--and had better service than almost any American run hotel chains you could name. It's a leap of faith to do it outside the US but I'd do it again if the conditions were right.

You're not going on the 5-17 cruise, right? Obviously, I guess, since you're ending up in Venice instead of Athens. Duh! Excuse my brain burp.

With the deal we got, I doubt we'd change it...

But, I'm curious, Rickey, since you've stayed at the Conrad, please let me know what you think of it...Thanks...

Enjoyed our stay - but the hotel was looking a bit faded at that time. However, I understand that there has been some refurbishment. I used a Hilton Honors rate which was comparable to what the Swisshotel was charging.

You won't be unhappy either way!

Rickey' date=' what did you like about the Swissotel? Do all rooms have Bosphorus views?

Helene,

The Swissotel is up the hill just above the Dolmabahce Palace. It was built in such a way that all the windows to each room are angled to provide a great view of the Bosphorus. Where you are assigned would only involve a difference as to whether you were looking east or west.

If you do book, simply specify a harbor view....

Dick

Enjoyed our stay - but the hotel was looking a bit faded at that time. However, I understand that there has been some refurbishment. I used a Hilton Honors rate which was comparable to what the Swisshotel was charging.You won't be unhappy either way![/color]

Thanks, Rickey...I'll hope the refurbishment is up to Hilton standards...

Tell your wife that we've stayed at some wonderful B&B's and country inns in England' date=' Scotland, Holland, and Belgium that were wonderful--and had better service than almost any American run hotel chains you could name. It's a leap of faith to do it outside the US but I'd do it again if the conditions were right.[/quote']

Actually, we've stayed in some nice small hotels and B&Bs in Europe...No problem for my wife with local hotels and B$Bs in Britain, France, Belgium, Denmark, Italy, Germany et al...

But those cultures are a little more familiar to us...

It's the Middle East and the "Third World" where she has the phobia...It's the places where she is not accustomed to the culture, the food, the language and customs...Turkey may turn out to be very "European" and, therefore, familiar...but for now, it's the great unknown...The only thing she knows of Istanbul is the movie "Midnight Express" and that doesn't exactly conjure up comfortable images...

I gave her the choice: Big Western-style hotel or small, local fascinating hotel...She had no hesitation...and my job is to make her happy.

Thanks Dick for that info regarding the views. If we book through the cruise line I'll make sure that I make that request. After all, it's my birthday present and I am going to be spoiled on purpose! :-)

Steve you sound like a good understanding kind of guy. My husband puts up with my shtick too--so I can relate very well. We've been married for nearly 29 years and we learned to accept and adapt. I remember reading about your wife's packing habits and I really laughed. I was the one in the London airport repacking suitcases to redistribute weight so that I wouldn't have to pay for the overweight luggage! It seemed like the entire immediate world was watching me go through my suitcases--and that was after a 2 week cruise followed by a few days of staying in London so you can imagine the amount of clothing squeezed into the bags! HA! I told Neil we've got to get lighter luggage for this trip...Neil told me *I* have to pack less. Should be interesting...

Thanks Dick for that info regarding the views. If we book through the cruise line I'll make sure that I make that request. After all, it's my birthday present and I am going to be spoiled on purpose! :-)

Steve you sound like a good understanding kind of guy. My husband puts up with my shtick too--so I can relate very well. We've been married for nearly 29 years and we learned to accept and adapt. I remember reading about your wife's packing habits and I really laughed. I was the one in the London airport repacking suitcases to redistribute weight so that I wouldn't have to pay for the overweight luggage! It seemed like the entire immediate world was watching me go through my suitcases--and that was after a 2 week cruise followed by a few days of staying in London so you can imagine the amount of clothing squeezed into the bags! HA! I told Neil we've got to get lighter luggage for this trip...Neil told me *I* have to pack less. Should be interesting...

How about starting a roll call for this? We are in cabin 4042 and our friends are going with us. She hasn't told husband yet that booked the 2 for 1 free air. TA said no hotel info yet on this cruise.

We want to go at least one day early to Isbanbul; have been there before and it is Lanny's favorite city. I want to go to Grand Bazzar again. Also want to stay in Singapore for 2 days; I have never been there.

I lived in Glendale when had the big earthquake; 402 Ivy in duplex. Now have a huge shoping mall at end of street. Worked for US Customs downtown, 300 North LA Street; also had bomb set off there in rest room on second floor where IRS offices were located. We also had marchers outside and inside the lobby one day. My ex husband worked for Univac at JPL; did the Mars Mariner shot; one that fell in the ocean. Didn't mean for this to sound so negative.

We are booked on the Insignia cruise May 21 Barcelona/Lisbon. Lanny must see Libya. If cannot get into that port, then will have to cancel. Only reason we are going; have been to all the other ports. Going to Barcelona 2 days early. Have roll call and so far have met a couple from Florida and think they are sailing with friends.

Oceana pre cruis pkg is very expensive for Barcelona. Thinking about having TA do our own hotel; but then there is air deviation. Should be able to manage Barcelona taxi to ship.

There is a roll call of sorts for the May 17th '06 Nautica cruise from Istanbul; don't know about one for your cruise but you're welcome to start one. Go under the Roll Calls heading and start a new thread if you don't see one already started. Enjoy your cruise.

When we did our Med cruise in 2003, we stayed two nights at the Hotel Meson Castillo in Barcelona. It was reasonable for a true 3 star hotel, located near the "top" of La Rambla, and very convenient to everything. Barcelona has a great subway system. The cab fare to the pier was about 10 Euros, and part of that was caused by a raised drawbridge delay near the pier.

We changed our booking in Istanbul based on a guide's advice, and are now staying at the Hali Hotel, in the Sultanhamet. It is a botique hotel in a refurbished house. It has 80 rooms and supposedly a fabulous view from the roof terrace. Our guide secured a rate of $72.00 US per night including breakfast.

From an above posting

"Turkey may turn out to be very "European" and, therefore, familiar...but for now, it's the great unknown...The only thing she knows of Istanbul is the movie "Midnight Express" and that doesn't exactly conjure up comfortable images..."

The prison shown in the film 'Midnight Express' is now named and is The Four Seasons Hotel (hope she's not too familiar!):)

Harry, that was too funny! I did remember reading that one of the hotels had been a prison previously but I never made the connection with "Midnight Express" and the prison that Steve was talking about in reference to his wife's only point of reference to Turkey. Oh! Too funny! Sorry Steve, but it's worth a chuckle!:-)

One question--how is this thread becoming a thread about Barcelona, etc.? When I started it I was just asking for Istanbul hotels b/c I wanted to know about them so I could get some input while considering what to do about my plans. Well, I guess if I ever want to know about other places to stay, I'll just look here.

By the way, for any one else who is interested in staying in Istanbul pre-cruise I have my updated information: As I said before, my husband had been drooling over the Four Seasons Hotel even at the $500/night price. At that point I suggested to him that if he was willing to go into that price range we might as well consider the Swissotel (also rated very highly in this month's Conde Nast top hotels in Europe section) but do it through the cruise line. My reasoning was that we were going to be charged for the air deviation for coming in a day earlier AND we were being charged for transfers by the cruise line that would be included in their pre-cruise hotel package. In the end, when my agent signed us up for the package that was costing $249 p/p and readjusted our billing, it was only something like a $349 TOTAL upcharge because of the above listed things now being included in the package. Honestly, I know that some of you are going to stay at wonderful little hotels--which are my favorite choice usually--and that your outlay of USD is going to be a better value than mine but I wasn't able to swing any freq. fly miles to upgrade or do my own air so that the deviation was going to be an out of pocket AND in the end, my husband gets to stay at some place really nice (in the gardens of the Palace overlooking the Bosphorus) so the sum total will be that we'll enjoy ourselves and satisfy what we needed. I admit that I do admire some of your well researched better priced 'gems' and will file away the names for another trip to Istanbul--but for now, we're all good, as they say.

HAve you also checked into the Ciragan Palace...

we stayed there many years ago and it is still a reat hotel worth drooling over!

Will also give a thumbs up for the Conrad..stayed there too.

While Ciragan is overlooking the Bosphorus if price is not an issue then I would certainly stay there..

We're spending an extra two nights in Istanbul post cruise (June 8 Rome to Istanbul) and are looking at The Empress Zoe or the Sari Konak. DH likes to stay in the smaller more "local" places.

We are also on the June 8 Rome to Istanbul Nautica cruise and just beginning to reasearch Istanbul hotels. I am looking for something moderate in a good central location. Some of the smaller hotels sounded really nice. Thought it would be more interesting staying in a Turkish hotel rather than a big international chain. I have noted some of the recommendations and would appreciate more.

We have FF tickets, getting to Rome a day early. Don't know if we should head to the port after arriving or go down the next day. We have been to Rome and seen the sights, so we decided to take the extra days in Istanbul and are flying back through Zurich with an overnight there.

This will be our first Oceania cruise. Our last was on Crystal which we loved. Have done 3 RC and one Celebrity cruise and really don't like the big, impersonal ships with the long lines and crowds. Crystal was definitely better on food and hope Oceania will be also.

We took a cat. B balcony cabin and I wonder if we should upgrade to concierge???

Hope to meet you Nadine. We are from Tucson.

Zella

Archived