What kind of coffee do they serve on the Aurora?

Cahpek

We have been on the P&O Aurora about 1-2 years ago and we will be going on the Ventura this February.

However, we have forgotten how the "free" coffee in the buffet and restaurants are like. Also, is the coffee available with the kettle in the cabin

of reasonable standard like Nescafe, or Douwe Egbert, or is it some kind of

cheaper brands which can be not very nice? If it is the latter, we will have to bring our own coffee!

We remembered that the sausages for their "English Breakfast" (?) in the buffet on the Aurora was one of the lowest qualities (in our opinion) one could find. Is that any better on the Ventura? (No, we will not be bringing along our own sausages onto the Ventura! Lol.)

Hope P&O cruisers, especially those who have been on the Ventura, can help us with these queries.

Coffee sachets in cabins are Douwe Egberts, tea is Twinings (English Breakfast for ordinary tea, then herbal/flavoured varieties). Same for self service in the buffet.

It was a recent innovation (to us) that on Britannia in December 2015 waiters came round the buffet serving tea and coffee and offering refills too. On our last cruise before that, in 2014, we had been used to getting our own hot drinks.

I'm not much of a coffee drinker anyway, but if I do have coffee I like a good one, especially after dinner, so I steer well clear of the stuff they serve in the restaurant. Don't know what brand they use, but IMHO it's awful.

There is/was a CoSTA coffee on Aurora in Andersons where you could get the usually cappuccinos/lattes etc, but chargeable, of course.

The restaurant coffee is dreadful on all P &O (and Cunard) ships. But my OH only drinks decaf so he gets a Dowe Egberts sachet of instant coffee emptied in his cup after the meal, and just made with hot water and I have discovered you can ask for one for ordinary coffee too! If that causes a problem, just take one from your room with you.

I asked and was told the free coffee was "Seatle's Best".

If so then God help Seattle! :D

A friend who originates from Seattle told us that, as with all these things when the big corporations adopt them, the coffee marketed by Starbucks et al bears no resemblance to the coffee served by the cafés that sprang up as part of Seattle's original coffee culture.

The after dinner coffee is weak and nasty, we reckoned they didn't want to keep people awake.

It was slightly better in the buffet in the morning. I took a tub of my favourite coffee with me for the cabin but we also bought the costa card.

Oh gosh, reading from the above comments guess we'd better avoid the after dinner coffee - and go for the self-service Douwe Egberts sachets.

We have already have in mind of avoiding the low quality sausages for their breakfast (if the buffet breakfast sausages on the Ventura is as awful as the sausages on the Aurora were, when we went on our South American cruise a year or so ago). Now, it looks like we may have to add restaurant after dinner coffee to the list! Yikes!

We hope senior management of P&O will get to read these comments of their customers and will try to improve on this. Improving the quality of their coffee and breakfast sausages should not be too difficult to do, is it? It's not like asking them to redesign the whole ship!

Oh nevermind, there are many other good things cruising with P&O, and the number of good things still exceed the not-so-good or poor ones!

Edited by Cahpek

If so then God help Seattle! :D

A friend who originates from Seattle told us that, as with all these things when the big corporations adopt them, the coffee marketed by Starbucks et al bears no resemblance to the coffee served by the cafés that sprang up as part of Seattle's original coffee culture.

Totally agree, if that's the best, god help the rest

The after dinner coffee is weak and nasty, we reckoned they didn't want to keep people awake.

It was slightly better in the buffet in the morning. I took a tub of my favourite coffee with me for the cabin but we also bought the costa card.

I think enjoyment of coffee is very much down to individual tastes. I don't mind the coffee served in MDR, either at breakfast or evening preferring it to instant coffee provided in the cabin. Maybe the fact I drink it black without sugar has something to do with my preference. Perhaps the longlife milk they use with coffee adversely affects the taste for those who drink it white.