Credit card surcharges!

J&Jtravelcouple

Princess has 2 permanent ships here all year. They are the Sea & Sun Princesses The third, the Dawn Princess is going to P&O Australia in April.. Over summer we have the Golden, Emerald and Diamond here though the Diamond only does a couple of cruises before she heads off to Asia whereas the other two are here all summer.

Apparently more Australians cruise per head of population than any other country.

Jennie

Edited by Aussie Gal

Merchants pay fees for accepting credit cards. Would everyone prefer they raise the entire cruise fare 2-3% rather than charging a separate fee? It's the same thing. Just priced differently.

That may be so but why is it that here in Australia Princess charges the customer the fee and yet if I book my cruise through my U.S. T.A. I am not charged a fee? There should be the same rule the world over as we are supposed to have "free trade".

Jennie

That may be so but why is it that here in Australia Princess charges the customer the fee and yet if I book my cruise through my U.S. T.A. I am not charged a fee? There should be the same rule the world over as we are supposed to have "free trade".

Jennie

Because Princess decided to build the surcharge into the cost of the cruise in the US and not itemize it out. Either way you're paying the fee because Princess has to pay the fee whether it's itemized out or not.

Free trade doesn't exist. There's a cost to doing business.

"The same rule world over"... That's the beauty of being able to live where you want. If you don't want to see the fee itemized out... MOVE TO THE US!!!

Edited by Elitein85days

Because Princess decided to build the surcharge into the cost of the cruise in the US and not itemize it out. Either way you're paying the fee because Princess has to pay the fee whether it's itemized out or not.

Free trade doesn't exist. There's a cost to doing business.

"The same rule world over"... That's the beauty of being able to live where you want. If you don't want to see the fee itemized out... MOVE TO THE US!!!

You would have to be joking!! No way would I leave the best country in the world to save a 2.3% surcharge.

I was not complaining about the surcharge, I was complaining abou Princess who has one rule for one country and another one for other different countries. We don't pay the extra fee on most items when using Amex .It only occurs with Travel as hotels, airlines and cruiselines know that there is a loophole in the law regarding credit cards that they can use to get the public to pay their fees. It was supposed to have been amended in the customer's favour but as yet nothing has occurred.

Edited by Aussie Gal

I was not complaining about the surcharge, I was complaining abou Princess who has one rule for one country and another one for other different countries. We don't pay the extra fee on most items when using Amex .It only occurs with Travel as hotels, airlines and cruiselines know that there is a loophole in the law regarding credit cards that they can use to get the public to pay their fees. It was supposed to have been amended in the customer's favour but as yet nothing has occurred.

Sure sounds like the greatest country ever then... 🤔

Yes, Princess is still operating in Australia

Actually the question was with respect to the 2.3% surcharge, if that was still in reference to Australia. Because our personalized only shows 1.1% for any credit card.

Responses to this thread have been a combination of Australia and non-Australia related.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums