Trips from Monte Carlo

Mrs Miggins

We will be in Monaco (on Azamara) on May 30th from 8 am to 10.30 p.m. Have been several times so looking for alternatives. In the past we have taken the 100 bus to Nice (where we embark on 29th) and also the bus to Menton. Both excellent journeys. One possibility might be Eze. We have stayed in St Paul de Vence on two occasions and I suspect Eze may be similar - so perhaps a less touristy spot might be better. We have rented cars in the past but this time would prefer public transport. Any ideas ? especially from the wonderful Hlitner who has been a great help in the past.

We will be in Monaco (on Azamara) on May 30th from 8 am to 10.30 p.m. Have been several times so looking for alternatives. In the past we have taken the 100 bus to Nice (where we embark on 29th) and also the bus to Menton. Both excellent journeys. One possibility might be Eze. We have stayed in St Paul de Vence on two occasions and I suspect Eze may be similar - so perhaps a less touristy spot might be better. We have rented cars in the past but this time would prefer public transport. Any ideas ? especially from the wonderful Hlitner who has been a great help in the past.

Such kind words :). You are obviously familiar with the region and have already explored many of our favorite places. Eze (Village) is nice for 2 or 3 hours, but is a pretty small village which would not keep you happy for an entire day. Perhaps you could do a combination day trip to Antibes and then perhaps get to Eze on the way back.... with a warning. Public transportation for Eze since the bus service is a bit infrequent. There is a bus line that runs between Nice and MC...and stops at Eze Village. You could also use the train to Eze Bord de Mer (this lies along the sea below Eze Village) and then get up to Eze Village by the bus, a long uphill hike, or calling a taxi. I think you would want to check the Bus #82 and #112 for getting to Eze from either Nice or Monte Carlo. Not sure of the bus number that goes from the Eze train station up to the village (and too lazy to look it up at this time).

As to Antibes, it is not among our top favorite places, but is an area we often go for lunch, walking around the Marina, exploring the indoor market, etc. If you haven't been to Antibes it is certainly something different and pretty easy to access.

Like you, we face the issue of what to do in this region on a port day... After so many visits we find ourselves returning to Nice....again and again...perhaps because its easy and there quite a few options in this city. This is also along the same train line...so if using train/bus...you have a lot of flexibility as your day develops. I keep dragging myself back to Nice because of that darn Soupe de Poisson which always seem to better in NIce.

Hank

We visited Eze during a port day in Villefranche (10+ years ago). I agree 2-3 hours is enough time to explore the village. There is a cactus garden at the top of Eze that we really enjoyed (especially for the views). I think it was a small charge to enter (a few Euros - ??) but we thought it was worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, let me be different. Head into Italy. You will need to rent a car. Go to the towns of Dolceacqua and Apricale. Both fabulous medieval towns. Look them up. Dolceacqua is one hour from Monaco and Apricale is a few minutes up the hill from there.

There is an excellent restaurant in Apricale called La Capanna da Baci. A must.

You have such a long port day that you could do this easily and stop again in Ventimiglia or Menton on the way back.

Edited by marazul