Cruising and Verizon Wireless

OklaGirl32

Hi Everyone! I am going on my very first cruise April 16th on the Carnival Dream leaving out of New Orleans and stopping in Cozumel, Belize and Mahogany Bay. I've never been out of the US so I'm clueless as to how my cell phone coverage will work. I am a Realtor which means being tied to my phone 24/7 and while I can't wait to turn it OFF and enjoy a whole week with my girls, I do need to be able to check in (at least once a day, ideally) on emails and texts.

Has anyone with Verizon service ever cruised that area? Will my phone send/receive texts? What about data to check my emails? Verizon Wireless has an international data plan, I'm curious if it's worth getting. I don't want to pay for a month of that plan and then not have any service anyway. Does the ship have wifi that I can connect to?

Sorry for so many questions, all help is appreciated. Thank you!!

I use Verizon. If you sign into your account online and click on your device, it will show you choices for things such as cruises and the islands that you will be visiting. We switch plans and then switch back and they do not charge us for the entire month, but rather prorate it. I don't know if this is standard, but it has been our experience. I think it would behoove you to buy an internet package on the ship. If you get a lot of texts, the costs can add up. You can see the rate on Verizon . For us it is .50/.05 for outgoing and incoming texts. Because we cannot CHOOSE which texts we accept , we get charged for them all. For this reason we opt to use the social media package ($25/week) and do all our communicating via Facebook Messenger. Because we are able to do without email this is the best deal for us. There are 2 more internet packages ( most expensive being $99/week) so you may want to choose one of those depending upon your needs. It sounds like the cheaper one will do fine for what you have mentioned. This page has pricing info for all 3.

Whatever you decide, do make sure that you use the airplane mode or shut down your data - whichever you need - so that you don't come home to a crazy bill.

I use Verizon. If you sign into your account online and click on your device, it will show you choices for things such as cruises and the islands that you will be visiting. We switch plans and then switch back and they do not charge us for the entire month, but rather prorate it. I don't know if this is standard, but it has been our experience. I think it would behoove you to buy an internet package on the ship. If you get a lot of texts, the costs can add up. You can see the rate on Verizon . For us it is .50/.05 for outgoing and incoming texts. Because we cannot CHOOSE which texts we accept , we get charged for them all. For this reason we opt to use the social media package ($25/week) and do all our communicating via Facebook Messenger. Because we are able to do without email this is the best deal for us. There are 2 more internet packages ( most expensive being $99/week) so you may want to choose one of those depending upon your needs. It sounds like the cheaper one will do fine for what you have mentioned. This page has pricing info for all 3.

Whatever you decide, do make sure that you use the airplane mode or shut down your data - whichever you need - so that you don't come home to a crazy bill.

Thanks! Ok, I checked Verizon's website and it looks like there is 2G data in the places I'm headed. So I'll just want to have my phone in airplane mode while at sea, and turn it on normal to check messages in port, right?

My husband is my business partner so I think for email I will just set up an auto-reply and make sure he's signed into my business email on his devices. That way I should only have to field texts. I didn't think about the social media package, that might be a better way to go. Thanks!!

Your best bet might be to go with the unlimited onboard internet package, which at $16/day, is a step up from the social media package. If I remember correctly, there is a discount if you sign up for the entire cruise. This will allow you to access your email and text through the ship's WiFi connection. You can also share this with any other devices you have, the only caveat is that only one device can be logged on at a time.

Cell phones are easy enough. Just be sure data roaming is turned off unless you have an international data package. Data roaming is where the big bills come from. Your phone will make and receive calls and texts like normal - just remember to dial a +1 before the phone number to call to the US. You'll have to look up the rates. If you don't make or answer a call, or send any texts, you won't be charged.

If you need to use data, either buy an international data plan or stick to wifi. The people with horror stories of bills for thousands of dollars all used cellular data (2G/3G/4G) outside of the US without an international data plan. Again, if data roaming is off, your phone won't do that but you can still make/receive calls and texts.

• 1 month later...

If you need to use data, either buy an international data plan or stick to wifi.

Wanted to resurrect this as I just found out the bad news about my Paradise sailing tomorrow - Verizon no longer offers any data at any price onboard Carnival.

You can see this reddit thread discussing the issue, but sure enough, after speaking with a Verizon rep, she confirmed I could not use data on my phone without going through Carnival's wifi plan. Of course, she sounded like she started working at Verizon today, and had no knowledge that we could in the past, but it is what it is.

At least Carnival's wifi prices are somewhat more favorable now, but Verizon's old $25 for 100MB plan was the best.

I also have Verizon. On a cruise a few years ago I had shut my phone off for the 5 day cruise. While it was still OFF, I plugged it in to charge it before going to bed on our last night. Apparently around 2 AM, my phone became fully charged and turned itself back on. Got a nice surprise bill from Verizon the next month charging me a couple hundred dollars for the International roaming charges for about 5 or 6 hours until we were close enough to port to pick up cell phone signal. I nearly went ballistic calling them. I was only able to get the charge whittled down to $50, and was still mad about that.

Word to the wise. Keep your phone in airline mode and charged throughout your cruise.

Hi Everyone! I am going on my very first cruise April 16th on the Carnival Dream leaving out of New Orleans and stopping in Cozumel, Belize and Mahogany Bay. I've never been out of the US so I'm clueless as to how my cell phone coverage will work. I am a Realtor which means being tied to my phone 24/7 and while I can't wait to turn it OFF and enjoy a whole week with my girls, I do need to be able to check in (at least once a day, ideally) on emails and texts.

Hi, I have Verizon as well. Once I board the ship I put the phone in Airplane mode then turn the Wifi back on. If you are using Verizon's own app for text messages they will come through on Wifi. The Message+ app. No extra charge, they just go against your regular text message plan. I believe the Value/Basic wifi plan is $60 for the entire cruise and I have access to both texts and emails.

Hope this helps.

Mike

We are on the Dream March 19th and I just checked to make sure Verizon hadn't changed anything since my 2016 cruise. They have several options, but I like the Travel Pass that allows you to pay a small daily fee to use your regular plan talk, text, and data limits.

With Verizon your plan should allow you to use your phone in US, Canada, and Mexico (this is a change from 2016, last year I had a $2/day upcharge to use the Travel Pass in Canada). So you should be able use your regular plan in Cozumel while at port (Verizon told me my plan includes that, you should check yours).

In Belize and Roatan, you can add the Verizon Travel Pass on your account before you leave for your trip. This will allow you to use your plan in these ports for $10/day.

By adding Travel Pass to your acct before you leave, it will automatically prompt you to confirm use when you use your device in a different country. Once you get to port and use your phone you will receive a text confirming you want to activate Travel Pass for that day. As long as you reply yes, you're good to use phone, text, and data within your normal Verizon plan limits.

You can add Travel Pass online or you can call Verizon and they can add it for you. I always like to call just to confirm things, plus if something goes crazy and u come back to a bill you weren't expecting (which I've never had happen) there is record you inquired.

I like the Travel Pass bc I don't want to have to pick and pay for an international plan for two days. Plus, if I'm having too much fun in port and decide I don't need my phone that day, I'm not out any money.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Here's the thing that most cruise newbies don't realize about smart phone on cruise ships. There are no cell towers for you phone to roam on, only a satellite up/down link and the ship's own internet for WiFi usage. SO in reality unless your international plan includes a satellite roaming agreement with WMS (aka CellularAtSea) you will be paying individual usage fees billed to your normal carrier. The last time we checked with Verizon a call from on board the ship would be $2.99 per any part of a minute from the second a call is initiated regardless of if the call was answered or not. Texting was $0.50/100 characters to send a message, and $0.05/100 characters to receive a message and variable speed (2 to 4G level) data was $20/KB.

As for the on board WiFI, though the packages are for unlimited time and bytes, the lower 2 packages have certain restrictions. Like the Value program has problems downloading graphics and attachments, and the Social plan only works for the websites listed.

From Carnival's FAQs https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1129

CELLULAR PHONE SERVICE

Carnival Cruise Lines, through agreement with Wireless Maritime Services, offers an advanced roaming network on board Carnival Cruise Lines ships, allowing you to make and receive calls while at sea using your own mobile phone and telephone number. International roaming charges will be conveniently billed to you by your home mobile carrier. Please contact your mobile carrier for specific rate information.

Stay Connected While At Sea On Your Cruise!

WMS offers an advanced roaming network onboard cruise ships allowing you to use your phone just like you do at home. Service for voice calls, texting (SMS) and data is available onboard while the ship is at sea. Once the WMS network is switched on, while roaming on our cruise ships, you will see a distinct display on your handset that differs from your home carrier. Depending on the make and model of your phone, the handset will read Nor 18, cellular@sea or 901 18.

As a reminder, international roaming charges apply and will be billed by your home carrier and not by WMS.

How It Works

Due to regulations, the WMSatSea network only works when the ship is at sea at least 12 nautical miles from shore (2 nautical miles in the European Union). When the ship is sailing on international waters, you will be able to use the WMS network for incoming and outgoing calls, SMS, and Data services (email and web surfing). Once in port, you can connect to local roaming networks as permitted by your home carrier.

Service Requirements

The WMSatSea mobile network is accessible by most mobile phones, supporting both GSM and CDMA technologies. You must have service with one of the nearly 400 carriers worldwide that have a roaming agreement with WMS. Some prepaid phone plans by some carriers are not currently supported. Please check with your mobile telephone service provider for details.

Charges, Billing, and Customer Service

Rates for roaming on ships are determined by your home carrier. Please note that calls to 800, 888, 866, and 877 numbers are not toll free. You will be billed by your home carrier for your international roaming usage on your regular mobile phone bill. Typically charges will appear on the next monthly bill, but depending on your carrier it may occasionally take up to 60 days for charges to appear on your phone bill. Please note that most cell phone carriers do not allow their unlimited rate plans to apply to cellular calls, texts or data used while onboard ships. Please contact your own carrier to confirm this and your specific pricing details.

Explanation of Rates and Charges

Service is provided by Wireless Maritime Services. Use of the WMS services requires compatible wireless phone and qualified wireless service with a home carrier provider that has a roaming agreement with WMS. Your home network will determine the international roaming rates you pay for usage.

WMS provides CDMA, GSM voice and DATA services. Other service features may not be available. Voice usage is measured during the time you are connected to your system, which is approximately from the time you press the button that initiates or answers the call until approximately the time the first party terminates the call. Voice usage for each call is billed in full minute increments with partial minutes rounded up to the next full minute. Data usage for each billing record will be rounded up to the next kilobyte and a cost will be associated with each billing record and rounded to the nearest cent.

Availability, timeliness and reliability of service are subject to radio transmission limitation caused by system capacity, system repairs and modifications, your equipment, signal strength, weather and other conditions. You will only be able to call and text message to certain countries. Other restrictions and limitations apply for service.

SERVICES PROVIDED

Voice

USA, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean: Dial +, the country code and the full number; Verizon Wireless/Sprint users dial 011, the country code and the full number. Other Countries: Dial 011, the country code, city code and local number.

Text Messaging (SMS)

Text messaging service is available on most compatible devices, depending on your wireless service provider. Address your text message to your North American number with 1 + area code and number.

Data

If your home carrier supports GPRS, EDGE or EVDO data service, you can check email, surf the web and share photos while traveling just as you would at home.

Voicemail

Most users will be able to check their messages by pressing and holding the 1 key. Please note that some home carriers charge for messages deposited to and retrieved from voicemail while a customer is roaming. Please contact your home carrier customer service with any questions about using your voicemail.

FAQs

Will my phone work on the WMS network?

WMS provides connectivity for customers of nearly 400 mobile cell phone companies around the world. With rare exceptions, your carrier should be supported by WMS. It should be noted that your carrier must allow you to roam internationally in order for your phone to work onboard a WMS vessel. A complete list of the mobile phone operators with whom WMS has roaming agreements is listed on the WMS website under FAQs: www.wmsatsea.com/carrier-list.html

How does your service work?

Our service operates over a satellite, or VSAT connection. Once your ship is at least 12 nautical miles out to sea (or at least2 nautical miles in EU countries), the WMS network turns on and you will automatically connect to it. Please note that cruise ship roaming rates will apply. Our service will stay on for the duration of the time that the ship is sailing at sea. Once your ship approaches land again and is within 12 nautical miles from shore (or 2 nautical miles in the EU), our service is turned off and your phone will pick up local service. If you are able to pick up local service in the port areas you will be charged a different rate by your carrier then the Cruise Ship Roaming rate. Contact your carrier for pricing and details.

How do I connect my phone to the WMS network onboard my ship?

Compatible devices and carriers connect automatically. You do not need to do anything special to connect to the service.

How do I dial out?

Simply dial 1 plus the area code and number to call anywhere in North America. Dial + along with the country code and number to call non-US destinations. Verizon Wireless/Sprint/Alltel user’s dial 011 country code and number to non-US destinations.

How much will it cost to use my cell phone onboard a ship?

Rates are set and determined solely by your cell phone carrier—WMS has no involvement whatsoever in the retail rates your carrier charges for cruise ship roaming. For precise rates you will pay onboard, please contact your carrier’s international roaming department directly to confirm their Cruise Ship Roaming Rates for voice calls, texting, and data if applicable.

When will you send me a bill for service used onboard a cruise ship?

All billing is handled by your cell phone carrier, not by WMS, and you will be billed for any charges incurred while onboard a ship on your next monthly cell phone bill directly from your carrier.

If my phone is left on and I do not use it, will I be charged?

In some cases, a phone that is left on, but not used, may incur charges. If a voice call is received but not answered, and the caller leaves a voicemail it is possible you will receive a charge for a voice call. If a text comes through and the phone is left on, you may be charged for a received text. Please note that smartphones (Blackberries, iPhones, Androids and other PDA devices) are constantly looking for data connections in order to perform updates and other synchronization steps. Therefore, it is possible that if you leave your PDA device on, you will incur data charges. Please contact your carrier for more information on data charges.

I did not use my phone onboard a cruise ship and I received charges – how do I get a refund?

Any questions or issues regarding billing must be handled through your carrier. WMS has no involvement at all with retail charges applied to your monthly bill by your cell phone provider.

Are there any prepaid packages for voice minutes or data available to use this service?

WMS does not offer any prepaid packages for passengers.

Will my unlimited rate plan apply to your service?

Generally speaking, most cell phone carriers do not allow their unlimited rate plans to apply to calls, texts or data used while roaming on international waters. Please contact your own carrier to confirm this and your specific pricing details.

If I buy a prepaid cell phone, can I use it onboard the cruise ship?

WMS currently does not support any US prepaid cell phones with our service.

Do you offer internet access?

Provided that WMS has a roaming agreement with your cellular service provider for GPRS (data) service, you will be able to use our network to access cellular data services (e.g., internet access, email and web browsing) with your GPRS capable cell phone. GPRS roaming rates also apply when using an air card. Please check with your carrier to determine the rates you will be charged by them. Carnival also offers internet access plans that you can purchase onboard.

Special Note for CDMA users: CDMA users who have a world phone will not have access to data services if your phone is set to GSM. Your CDMA phone must be set to CDMA.

From Carnival's FAQs https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1152

CARNIVAL'S WI-FI SERVICE AND HUB APP

To keep you connected while at sea, every one of our ships provides satellite Internet access facilitated through the HUB Internet Café and through the bow-to-stern ship-wide Wi-Fi network.

What plans are offered?

New Upgraded Plans

We have upgraded our communications technology to the latest, state of the art systems and guests now have access to much faster speeds at an affordable price! Want to share that awesome photo? Need to Skype home? Our ships now feature our awesome new internet plans. No other cruise line offers these speeds at these great prices!

We offer three different types of plans that can be purchased for either a 24 hour period or for the entire length of the cruise at a discount - price for voyage plans vary by length of cruise:

• Social ($5 USD per day) – Access the most popular websites and applications. Includes: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Linkedin, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. Does not include access to other websites or apps.
  • Value ($16 USD per day) – Surf all your favorite sites, including e-mail, news, sports, weather, banking and finance. Note: Does not support Skype calling or music streaming (such as Spotify).
  • Premium ($25 USD per day) – From e-mail to Skype, our Premium plan promises the fastest possible connection, at speeds up to 3 times faster than our Value Plan. Supports Skype video calling, where coverage allows.

Users may easily upgrade from one plan to another. Users may use one device at a time on each plan, including either their personal devices or one of our on-board computers. All plans exclude video streaming (such as Netflix or Hulu) and Snapchat. Cellular-network-dependent WiFi Calling and Facetime services are also not supported at this time. Printing is offered at no charge.

To access Wi-Fi, simply turn on your device's Wi-Fi feature and you will receive the information needed. You can do this anywhere onboard the ship.

What restrictions are there?

Please note that as our services are carried via satellite; there are a few limitations compared to your home network.

• Satellite internet speed may vary depending on location and time of day
  • Video streaming sites such as Hulu and Netflix are blocked
  • Access to certain sites such as mature or violent content is blocked
  • VPN connections are not supported - discuss your VPN limitations with your company’s IT department if you are planning to work while sailing. We are not able to change your settings onboard.

What are some tips to improve the experience?

• Once you board, turn Airplane Mode ‘On’ and connect to Carnival Wi-Fi. By using Airplane Mode, you avoid roaming fees charged by your carrier. Airplane Mode is typically found in your phone’s Settings.
  • To benefit from faster speeds, turn off background app data services and updates
  • Discuss VPN limitations with your company’s IT department if you are planning to work while sailing. We are not able to change your settings onboard.
  • Get the most from your cruise Internet time and your trip — make sure you are powered up and prepared before you board the ship with this handy pre-cruise checklist. Here are a few things you want to remember to pack for your cruise:
  • Wi-Fi enabled laptop and mobile devices
  • Power supply for each of the devices you are bringing with you
  • Data cables to transfer pictures
  • Headphones

• 1 year later...
We are on the Dream March 19th and I just checked to make sure Verizon hadn't changed anything since my 2016 cruise. They have several options, but I like the Travel Pass that allows you to pay a small daily fee to use your regular plan talk, text, and data limits.

With Verizon your plan should allow you to use your phone in US, Canada, and Mexico (this is a change from 2016, last year I had a $2/day upcharge to use the Travel Pass in Canada). So you should be able use your regular plan in Cozumel while at port (Verizon told me my plan includes that, you should check yours).

In Belize and Roatan, you can add the Verizon Travel Pass on your account before you leave for your trip. This will allow you to use your plan in these ports for $10/day.

By adding Travel Pass to your acct before you leave, it will automatically prompt you to confirm use when you use your device in a different country. Once you get to port and use your phone you will receive a text confirming you want to activate Travel Pass for that day. As long as you reply yes, you're good to use phone, text, and data within your normal Verizon plan limits.

You can add Travel Pass online or you can call Verizon and they can add it for you. I always like to call just to confirm things, plus if something goes crazy and u come back to a bill you weren't expecting (which I've never had happen) there is record you inquired.

I like the Travel Pass bc I don't want to have to pick and pay for an international plan for two days. Plus, if I'm having too much fun in port and decide I don't need my phone that day, I'm not out any money.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I know this is from last year, but I'm hoping you can answer a few questions. I also have verizon and will be using the travel pass. I'm sailing on Princess in April 2018, going to the caribbean. If Princess offered unlimited data we would use that, but they offer only by the minute--not nearly enough data for what we need. All of our islands are covered under the travel pass.

Did you have any luck catching a signal while on the ship? Im sure its a long shot, but wondering.

Did you have any surprise charges?

Is there anything you learned about using the travel pass that you can share?

Thank you,

Susan