Mukilteo - restaurants?

familycruzer

We want to grab lunch before the boarding the ferry. Looking at Diamond Knot / Ivars / Arnies. Good picks?

Any of them. Ivar's has the best views, Arnie's the most expensive. I really like the Diamond Knot.

If the weather's good you can also pick up fish and chips from Ivar's outdoor take away bar and go sit at a park table on the beach just past the lighthouse (big parking area behind) for fabulous views of the ferries, mountains, etc. The little lighthouse is pretty cool, too.

20140531_3Ha.jpg

Arnie's is great and has a nice view. It's our "take the out of town friends to dinner/lunch" place. Diamond Knot has great brews and typical sports bar / pub food with some interesting twists. Can be noisy but fun. Ivar's is an institution and pretty consistent on the seafood.

We want to grab lunch before the boarding the ferry. Looking at Diamond Knot / Ivars / Arnies. Good picks?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I love that ferry run. Done it many times.

Are you driving on or walking on? I only ask because you'll have to show up a little early for the drive on. It's about 30-35 minutes across and 2 ferries run, one in each direction, so the wait time in the parking queue is not all that long, depending on how much traffic there is and if you arrive in time for the most immediate sailing or if you are put in the queue for the sailings after the most immediate one.

If you have a car with you, you'll probably be best served by getting food from the Ivar's walk up window, unless you arrrive at the dock and find that you are 3 or more sailings from boarding. In that instance you have time for a quick meal at Ivars.

If you are walk on, all of this is a moot point and you have time to dine anyplace.

I would lean toward Ivars if you are looking for the "Seattle" food experience. As a tourist, dining at Ivars is something you just have to do at least once. On the other hand, I'm fond of the Diamond Knot, less touristy, more local. I've never dined at Arnie's.

If you are pressed for time you can always eat on the ferry. Ferry food is acceptable, it fills the emptiness, and you can get a beer. I've had quite a bit of ferry food over the years. It is at least decent if not high market. And remember, the crossing is about 35 minutes, so you don't have a lot of time to eat and drink on board before they kick you off.

the scenic route of Whidbey Island.

Slow but a great drive with interesting little towns. An interesting anomaly to look for - cactus along the road near Coupeville. Part of the island is in the dry Olympic rain shadow. Also Oak Harbor was named for the oak trees in the area - oak is a dry climate tree and somewhat rare in Western Washington.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrdGcYqNaCeDxl1gmmEUyqahp3Ky8o98yf2HwuankqsuTie6ml

Edited by Sequim88

Love all 3 places!

If you are looking for a nicer dining experience (more formal, more expensive), then pick Arnies. Their clam chowder is so good and at the atmosphere in the restaurant is top notch.

Diamond Knot is a great casual pub type place and are known for their amazing pizza. If you have any pizza lovers in your group, this is your place!

Ivars would be great for a casual take out fish and chips that you can dine anywhere around the ferry terminal.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do! You really can't go wrong with any of those 3 places.

Ivars isom the water right next to the ferry dock. Arnies is up from the parking lot. Both are excellent and you can get lunch for $9-15$ Diamond Knot is down the street and more expensive $20-$30, which includes beer. I have been at Diamond Knot 2 times and the service was fair- 1 and 1/2 hours for Lunch. Also there are many restaurants in the small towns on Whidbey Island that you can try. Research for the best.