Rum question

Of St Thomas, Nassau, st Martaan, which has the best rum prices?

Don't know about the best prices (though I have heard K-Mart was a good deal) but we have faithfully used A.H. Riise. They will pack and deliver to the ship for you. Your steward will deliver it to your room on the last night.:D

My experience has been St. Marten has the best rum and overall liquor prices. The best prices are in Philipsburg's downtown area and not at the Wathey cruise terminal. St. Thomas also is good also being only slightly more expensive but there is limited shopping at Crown Bay where RCCL docks and it's easier and cheaper to get to the downtown of Philipsburg than Charlotte Amalie.

Edited by robtulipe

Don't know about the best prices (though I have heard K-Mart was a good deal) but we have faithfully used A.H. Riise. They will pack and deliver to the ship for you. Your steward will deliver it to your room on the last night.:D

You should have mentioned both of the above are on St. Thomas as all might not know this.

Also the K-mart is near the WICO docks at Havensight and not downtown thus quite far from Crown Bay.

Edited by robtulipe

Another vote for Sint Maarten.

Note that duty-free purchases means that the store you are buying from has not paid duty; it does NOT mean that you are exempt from all duty. US citizens are allowed to import 1 litre of liquor for personal use exempt from duty, plus a second litre if it is the product of an eligible Caribbean Basin country. You are allowed 4 litres exempt from duty if purchased in an US Insular possession (eg USVI) plus a 5th litre if produced in the USVI. US CBP officers have the authority to pass small overages without collecting duty (it costs more to collect small amounts than the amount collected).

In practice a person 21 or over who has been to the USVI will generally be able to bring in at least 6 litres without being assessed duty. On my Customs Declaration I list the countries & territories I have visited and I declare all my liquor. The form does not ask where each item was purchased. IF asked, I will truthfully declare that it was purchased in Sint Maarten and perhaps be charged duty, but I have never yet been asked.

6 litres in glass weights about 15 pounds; I have no desire to carry more than that. Know your local liquor prices; on many items it is not worth the hassle.

Thom