Dining for 8 guests or more on Carnival Magic

outandabout

Yup,, same, we have had "large" groups,, and we LINK groups of 20 ... at one table .. sometimes a big round one

In order to seat 20 people at a single round table you would need a minimum 12' diameter table, and I don't think I have ever seen one that size (that would be the size of a bedroom and the center of the table would be wasted space since no one has a 6' reach). The largest round table may be 8' and you might be able to get 13 peeps around it. Long banquet tables are often set up running perpendicular to the perimeter walls and may sit up to 20 people but you won't be visiting with those sitting at the opposite ends unless you yell real loud.

Large groups are best served by breaking up and sitting 8 to 10 at a 6' table and shifting seats each night to be able to visit with everyone. We have always done this (our travel agent does all the work) and it works great. Besides you can reach all the stuff at the center of the table.

:) We just got off the Magic Saturday. Traveled with a group of 25, one of which was our T/A. Our rooms were all over the ship but we were linked for dinner (I guess). We were in a back corner of the upper dining room (Northern Lights?) at 3 large round tables near the serving station. We all had the same serving staff & could see one another. There were many jokes shared & scurrying between the tables. The staff learned there were no secrets within those 3 tables. Someone found the banana split & shortly everyone was ordering them! On the other hand, if one order was messed up, the other 24 would remind the server "remember, that was on the side, not on the meat" or "that was one red wine & one white". They took our nagging with a smile...

John Heald handles many of these requests, he has stated many, many times the the maitre'd does the seating assignment 4 DAYS before the cruise. The easiest thing to do is ask John for assistance on his Facebook page 4 days before you sail.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

nwo4life...

Thank you for this info, very helpful.

Just received an update. Carnival confirmed our request for a traditional dining at 6pm. (originally, we had anytime dining). We have a couple added to our group which brings the total to 15. All our reservations/booking are linked.

My question is....does this mean that we are now all seated together in one area in the dining room? One big table or two tables are okay with us. And do I still need to contact John for assistance on getting a seat assignment from the maitre'd?

Btw, I've learned that there are two MDRs, Northern Lights & Southern Lights...which one is preferred by most?

nwo4life...

Just received an update. Carnival confirmed our request for a traditional dining at 6pm. (originally, we had anytime dining). We have a couple added to our group which brings the total to 15. All our reservations/booking are linked.

My question is....does this mean that we are now all seated together in one area in the dining room? One big table or two tables are okay with us. And do I still need to contact John for assistance on getting a seat assignment from the maitre'd?

Btw, I've learned that there are two MDRs, Northern Lights & Southern Lights...which one is preferred by most?

I don't believe they have any tables for 15, you will be on nearby tables. Most ships now have Anytime dining n one dining room and assigned time n the other.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

nwo4life...

One MDR will accommodate assigned diners, and the other is reserved for anytime diners.