Isle of Skye on our own

We'll be on a cruise around Norway and Scotland this summer and are all set for small (4 person) tours the Shetland Islands and the Inverness, and we have arrangements for Edinburgh. However, we haven't had much success with the Isle of Skye.

We looked into a few companies for tours, but their itineraries are pretty set, with requirements of at least eight people and it seems like it's just bus load after bus load all going around together, at prices similar to the cruise ship's.

We like the idea of going to Donvegan castle and gardens (and the boat to see the seals) but we might also like to see the fairy pools. Also, we don't want to go to have super-rigid plans for the castle if it's heavily raining because we'd mostly want to go for the garden and wouldn't want to paint ourselves into a corner.

Does anyone know if this port is doable on our own? Perhaps by hiring a taxi or renting a car? Yes, we know it will likely be stick shift and with the wheel on the right.

Thanks for your help!

I believe the tender docks about 800 metre from the town centre where you will find a taxi stand.

You could then decide on the day if you want to explore the island weather permitting. Having been there I would suggest the single track roads ( only wide enough for one car but it's 2 way so drivers must pull in to let others pass) will be more of an issue than the stick shift or driving on the left. There is some info on the UK TripAdvisor site https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186585-s304/Isle-Of-Skye:United-Kingdom:Taxis.And.Rental.Cars.html

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Be aware that a visit to the Fairy Pools does require a fair bit of walking over some pretty rough ground and also requires crossing what can be swift flowing streams!

For location and timings - Check out https://www.isleofskye.com/skye-guide/top-ten-skye-walks/fairy-pools

Another place to drive to is The Quiraing on the Trotternish peninsula. (Stunning views - very narrow road!!!)

Private car hire would be your best option but book early as there are only a finite number of rentals available in Portree!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have never been to Skye but we went to the Orkneys on a cruise. My OH is interested in WWII history. I read lots of information on Tripadvisor, but didn't really find what I was looking for.

In the end I called the local Tourist Board office ( you could email). The lady was extremely helpful and we booked a private tour just for the two of us. It was basically the standard tour with some tweaks as to what we wanted to see and do. It was excellent. So, you could give it a try.

• 1 month later...