Orkney islands

dalgirl

Thanks , I fully expect that's a possibility given the location and time of year for us- September . But we have a guide wanting to keep our deposit if the ship fails to make port so I was trying to see the likelihood of that happening.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Forums mobile app

Ive worked in Kirkwall and in September . and it can be wet and windy , but it can sunny and dry but windy.Unless your on a large ship you should berth at Hatston pier.

I would suggest you email http://www.harbours@orkneygov.uk for info re if they think the ship will be able to dock. Im intrigued by your comment given the location,Orkney lies about 20miles or so off the Scottish mainland, and its actually further south than Skagway

Thanks , I fully expect that's a possibility given the location and time of year for us- September . But we have a guide wanting to keep our deposit if the ship fails to make port so I was trying to see the likelihood of that happening.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Forums mobile app

We are taking a tour that does that also so have simply covered it as part of our trip insurance.

Thanks for your input. We have insurance, but I don't believe it includes the excursions. As for the weather, we were in Edinburgh in September 2015 and it was overcast and cool and we had a wonderful day , so I am not worried about the weather. But we did miss a tender stop in southern England so you never know what the captain will do.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

Interested in which excursions from Princess' Caribbean Princess in May that might offer the closest or best views of Scapa Flow. It's a region that is very dear to our family and I grew up intrigued by not only the name but it's role during WWII. My father was a volunteer Yank pilot with the RAF at their RAF Kirkwall airfield and used to fly Spitfire patrols over the area in search of German ships.

Will the ship actually sail through the entrance channel and into the harbor (which would be best) or dock somewhere else outside the Flow?

We did a private trip because my OH is interested in WWII history and is also a radio ham and wanted to visit the radio museum. I initially contacted the Orkney Tourist office. The lady was very helpful and passed my details to private tour companies available on the day we visited.

A couple of them contacted me and we decided to book with Wild about Orkney. The guide was excellent and incorporated all we wanted to see. We were very unlucky with the weather, but no control over that.

• 2 weeks later...

We have decided to rent a car and drive to various places on the island. Waiting to hear if we can pick a car up from WR Tullock downtown instead of the airport.

Has anyone done the hike from the old gun battery car park to Yesnaby Castle and if so how long was the walk there and back to the gun battery? Thank you.

Laura