mattresses on RCI ships

Hoping to try RCI for the first time, but a friend of mine told me that the mattresses are very hard, and I am elderly and cannot sleep on a hard mattress. I read somewhere on-line that they put new temperpedic (sp?) toppers on them. Anyone know if they are better than a year ago? Thanks for your input!

Sally

Hoping to try RCI for the first time, but a friend of mine told me that the mattresses are very hard, and I am elderly and cannot sleep on a hard mattress. I read somewhere on-line that they put new temperpedic (sp?) toppers on them. Anyone know if they are better than a year ago? Thanks for your input!

Sally

But can honestly tell you in my experience the mattresses are some of the most comfortable I've slept on....K.O. :) Edited by Thetrail

I think it's luck of the draw, and largely a matter of taste. My last two RCI cruises were on the Liberty in October and November of 2016. When I boarded in October the topper was already on the bed, and even that wasn't enough to make the bed comfortable. I constantly woke up with pains in my shoulder and hip because the bed was so hard. Honestly, that mattress looked like it should have gone to mattress heaven about 5 years ago!:eek:

We had an Owner's Suite with a newer mattress in November, but it was still too hard for my taste. My husband, who isn't as picky as me:rolleyes:, also found it too hard. We asked for and received a topper, and the bed was perfect!

I know on on my other cruises they seemed softer,. My last cruise they were hard as a rock. I have a bad back as well, But normally I am so tired by the time I go to sleep at night it doesn't matter.

We also had issues with the beds on our cruises but our last 2 cruises we called special needs and ask for bed toppers and they made the beds very comfortable. We also have hip and back problems and cannot sleep on firm mattresses. Happy cruising.