If you could go on only one flight seeing excursion...

John Bean

My DW and I will be in Alaska in May/June 2017 and need help on choosing where we will do an airplane / float plane (no helicopters) excursion from. Locations that we have available are: from Fairbanks flying over Denali; from McKinley Resort flying over Denali; from Skagway; from Juneau; or from Ketchikan. Most of these locations have multiple ship excursions and/or tour providers that we will choose from once we decide what the best location in Alaska to fly from is. Thanks in advance.

My DW and I will be in Alaska in May/June 2017 and need help on choosing where we will do an airplane / float plane (no helicopters) excursion from. Locations that we have available are: from Fairbanks flying over Denali; from McKinley Resort flying over Denali; from Skagway; from Juneau; or from Ketchikan. Most of these locations have multiple ship excursions and/or tour providers that we will choose from once we decide what the best location in Alaska to fly from is. Thanks in advance.

DH and I did the Denali flightseeing through Denali Air, picked up at the Princess Denali Lodge. We've been on a few and this was absolutely the best. We went on a 6 passenger Cessna, did a few 360s around the summit, weather was in our favor that day.

Try Mountain Flying Service, they are based down in Haines but offer flights out of Skagway also. Flew with them a couple of years ago over Glacier Bay and it was spectacular. Hope to fly with them again this year. Cheaper than thru the cruise line and a much longer flight time.

We're doing a flightseeing trip over the Juneau ice fields with Wings Airways. We'll fly over 5 glaciers, land at Taku Lodge for a meal and a few hours to hang out, then flying back. Looking forward to seeing the glaciers by air. We thought of Denali, but weather is usually a factor so decided on this.

Highly recommend flight seeing to Mt. Denali, and if you can get a glacier landing flight that is even better.

I've had great experiences flight-seeing and hunting expeditions with Rusts in Anchorage, K2 Aviation in Talkeetna (owned by the same family) and Wrangell Mountain Air in McCarthy. They were all really nice and the flights are amazing.

But Basically no matter who you fly with in Alaska, you're pretty much getting the same thing. Flying over Denali is definitely a highlight though.

Only thing in Alaska is that the weather can be bad so it's good to build a little wiggle room in toyour schedule.

If the cruise line allows you to cancel excursions with a refund close to the date, book two and cancel if the first one works out. That way you have two chances to fly. If you book independently, most places will allow you to cancel pretty close to the date because people are always looking to fly.

1. What do you want to see?

I want to see bears so I am taking a flight in Ketchikan to Anan Creek - transport more than "flight seeing tour."

You are probably too early for bears, but could see Misty Fjords out of Ketchikan. Glacier viewing out of Juneau.

(There may be other flight tours of which I am unaware. My intention in providing an answer was not intended to be definitive.)

2. Can you wait & see what the weather is like? If you booked now & Denali was socked in - would you still want to fly or be able to fly?