Amalfi

JojoJane

I will be on a ship going into Amalfi in April and understand that we will be tendered ashore. Can anyone tell me how easy it is to get into Amalfi for an independent wander around? Any tips on where to go? Thanks.

You should repost this on the Italy board :). If you are truly tendered into Amalfi, you would be able to walk anywhere in town from the tender pier. But many cruises mention Amalfi on their itinerary, but might actually take you to Sorrento or even Salerno. So make sure of your actual destination.

Hank

Thanks for the help. As a new user of Cruise Critic I don't know much about posting and don't know how to re-port my question on the Italy board. However, I think you've answered my question and all I need to do is be sure that the ship actually comes into Amalfi. I think it is likely to, as the previous port of call is Sorrento.

You will be tendered into the harbour, right in the town centre :)

Consider either a ferry to Capri or just as far as Positano, or a bus to Positano (sit on the coast side of the bus).

Ideally the bus from Amalfi to Positano along the coastal road, then walk down to the town/harbour and take a ferry back to Amalfi.

But you do need to research times to make sure they fit your itinerary.

If you have the time, add a bus ride from Amalfi up to Ravello for a breathtaking panoramic view from behind a cold beer or a glass of the local limoncello

If your ship is also stopping at Sorrento (another tender port), Capri will be quicker from there, and with much more frequent ferries.

JB :)

I will be on a ship going into Amalfi in April and understand that we will be tendered ashore. Can anyone tell me how easy it is to get into Amalfi for an independent wander around? Any tips on where to go? Thanks.

You cross the street, look for the Pasticeria Savoia in a corner and follow that street in. You will be at the Piazza Duomo in less than two minutes. That is the center of town.

If you are looking for the ferry to Positano, etc, the ticket booth will be near the foot of the tender pier. The ferry will be at the same pier or the one right next to it. (there are only two piers.) Look at the schedules: http://www.travelmar.it/en/

If you want to go to Ravello, there are plenty of taxis near the Amalfi pier and plenty of taxis in Ravello to come back.

Edited by marazul

You can also purchase a one-day ticket on the local bus and visit the nearby towns (Positano, Sorrento and/or Salerno. It's inexpensive. Keep in mind, however, that the road along the Amalfi Coast is very narrow and traffic is slow. Make sure you allow sufficient time to get back to your ship before it departs.

http://travel-europe.ca/italy/amalfi.html

You can also purchase a one-day ticket on the local bus and visit the nearby towns (Positano, Sorrento and/or Salerno. It's inexpensive. Keep in mind, however, that the road along the Amalfi Coast is very narrow and traffic is slow. Make sure you allow sufficient time to get back to your ship before it departs.

http://travel-europe.ca/italy/amalfi.html

Agreed. Hence my suggestion of Positano by bus and back by ferry.

And gives perspectives both from the high coast road and from the sea :)

JB :)