Confused about the service fee and gratuities

thehams

We always bring a stack of singles to tip the servers and bartenders a little extra. Go up to a bar with cash in your hand and then let me know if you think they saw you sooner and remember you when you return. I know the UBP tip is pre-paid, but they appreciate a few extra dollars and will let you know they do. As for the cabin steward, we will tip $50 on the last day. I have never had a bad cabin steward and I appreciate all they do for me. I don't know how much the workers on the ship are paid but you could not pay me enough to leave my family and wait on and clean up after people, all while expected to have a good attitude about it. They deserve every penny they get and much more than that I'm sure!

Understand that as long as you leave the DSC in place and pay 18% service charge on your perks or that are added on drinks/specialty dining when you pay as you go, you have satisfied your tripping requirements. You do not NEED to tip extra. You can tip extra if you feel someone went above and beyond, but are under absolutely no obligation to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have friends that are going and they are using cash and don't want to pay for there baby in the room and I told them they could go to the front desk and change it but it looks like now you cant?
If the baby is under 3 years old, there's no service charge in the first place.

On my first (and only so far) cruise, I would give extra tips at the bar or at restaurants when I signed the slips. I always had to sign, even though I had UBP and SDP. In fact, I am pretty sure I had to sign in main dining rooms too. It seems a lot easier than carrying cash, and that way, those extra tips could come out or my OBC and not really cost me extra. Hoping they got to the right people and not just put in a pot! We tipped our room steward (who was the sweetest guy) with cash. And I filled out a Hero card for him for something he did for one of my sons. : )