Viking - air plus -

CCJack

I would sign up for air plus. Too many variables if you don’t. I was able to ask for the the flights I wanted and when the layover was too short, I was changed to an earlier flight with no issues. 

I flew Delta and they would not let me upgrade tickets issues by Viking. It was fine and we were fine in our economy seats. But I tried to upgrade after ticketed and it was a no go. I definitely tried, Delta would not allow it. 

This was last week. If others can upgrade Viking tickets with cash or points, then they have better luck than me. I did hear that maybe I could have asked at the gate but I didn’t try. Decided to stay in our economy seats. 

I used Air Plus for the second time, we leave in a few weeks  - flying out American, returning on Delta. I am not able to upgrade to Premium Economy but it looks like I could upgrade to Business on the airlines web sites, but it's extremely expensive. I would have to upgrade on each airline ticket (i.e. several thousand on AA, several thousand on Delta), it's not possible to do one roundtrip upgrade. 

My advice is that if you are happy with your flights, get them ticketed as soon as possible. I made a change to our outbound flight that I was happy with, then suddenly, Viking reverted me back to the original flight they chose for me, which has a 5 hour layover. My preferred flights were not cancelled by the airlines (there are several I would have picked before a 5 hour layover), Viking simply took away my choices. And to boot, by the time they switched us back to AA, there weren't as many seats left - they put us in an aisle and middle seat. I moved us to two aisle seats.