Murmansk, Solovetsky Islands, Archangel--Hike on your own?

GeneBK

Each year I enjoy a summer cruise to Norway, an annual ritual which delights. I love the cool, I love the fjords, I love the hiking.

I have sometimes looked at itineraries that include the above stops in Russia, on the ships that go beyond Honningsvag. I've avoided them, however, fearing that those stops would not offer the same opportunity to hike and explore independently.

Once again I'm looking at the possibility. If I choose to give these Russian stops a try, will I find places to wander and hike on my own??

Thanks!

What passport do you have? Only a few nationalities can visit Russia independently without applying for a visa in advance. If you were to explore on your own in both ports, you would also need a multiple-entry visa. I know that there are a few people on the board who have done this for St.Petersburg, so a search on the forum might help you find the info on how/where they got their official invitation letters for the application.

The only other alternative besides the ship's excursions would be to organize a private tour with an authorized operator. You do not need a visa if you are on a tour with a licensed guide, as they handle the immigration concerns.

It seems that there are not a lot of independent excursion companies operating for those ports, but there is some information in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2309636

It seems that Kola Travel is a popular choice, and they do offer a hiking excursion on Solovetsky (see Excursions at Big Solovetsky Island #4).

Each year I enjoy a summer cruise to Norway, an annual ritual which delights. I love the cool, I love the fjords, I love the hiking. I have sometimes looked at itineraries that include the above stops in Russia, on the ships that go beyond Honningsvag. I've avoided them, however, fearing that those stops would not offer the same opportunity to hike and explore independently. Once again I'm looking at the possibility. If I choose to give these Russian stops a try, will I find places to wander and hike on my own?? Thanks!

kaisatsu: What passport do you have? Only a few nationalities can visit Russia independently without applying for a visa in advance. If you were to explore on your own in both ports' date=' you would also [b']need a multiple-entry visa[/b]. I know that there are a few people on the board who have done this for St.Petersburg, so a search on the forum might help you find the info on how/where they got their official invitation letters for the application. The only other alternative besides the ship's excursions would be to organize a private tour with an authorized operator. You do not need a visa if you are on a tour with a licensed guide, as they handle the immigration concerns.

Appreciate the great questions and the excellent responses from super Norway expert kaisatsu. If our original posters is from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, then you would need a Russian visa to explore on your own within that country. Yes, hooking up with a licensed tour/guide firm could get around that challenging need for obtaining a Russian visa. From everything I have understood over the years, getting that Russian visa is not easy, simple, quick and/or fun.

Second, from our ship Captain when we did our Norway cruise up to the Top of Europe at the North Cape, he had shared that in many of these northern Russian ports, the "tourism infrastructure" and options are a little limited and challenged. I assume things have improved somewhat since that sharing, but this is still an area that only gets a relative smaller number of cruise ships and passenger visitors.

Keep planning and researching!! Don't be shy in asking questions as you prepare for your future adventures.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 207,803 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thanks to both of you for your replies. Having been to St. Petersburg before, I was aware of the independent travel visa issue. I was hoping maybe it didn't apply quite as severely in the barren arctic region, but apparently still an issue.

So, it appears my hesitancy was justified; I think I'll stick to Norway. Even though my June cruise there this year will be my 10th, I know it will continue to offer me a lifetime of adventures.

Thanks again.....and, an aside to Terry in Ohio---your posts and photos have delighted me for years, albeit they always leave me feeling so photographically inadequate by comparison......thanks for all of them as well!!

Having been to St. Petersburg before, I was aware of the independent travel visa issue. I was hoping maybe it didn't apply quite as severely in the barren arctic region, but apparently still an issue. I think I'll stick to Norway. Even though my June cruise there this year will be my 10th, I know it will continue to offer me a lifetime of adventures. And, an aside to Terry in Ohio---your posts and photos have delighted me for years, albeit they always leave me feeling so photographically inadequate by comparison......thanks for all of them as well!!

Appreciate your kind and detailed follow-up. Sorry about my "evil work" in making you feel "so photographically inadequate by comparison". Hopefully there is a "cure" to deal with that challenge. Below are some of my tips. Hope this helps a little. Keep rolling with continued good questions and sharing. Good luck with your exciting next trip to Norway.

My basic, key photography secrets:

1. Shooting lots of pictures. That is easier with digital to do, learning/improving as you are taking pictures. When done and sharing, only show people the "good ones!" and do not bother them with the average, duplicate and/or poor ones. The more you shoot, that improves your "odds" to get more better pictures, varied framings, magic moments, etc.

2. Move closer! Zoom in, fill up the frame, try different, more interesting angles.

3. Involve people and light. Make it interesting. Get that human element/connection when possible. Do NOT be boring!! Get something better than just the normal "post-card" picture that everyone has previously seen or can see easily on the Internet.

4. Hold things steady. Gently squeeze. Use door frames, walls to give more "stability" and lessen the blurs in lower-light situations. Night pictures can have a real drama.

5. Editing: Fine-tune your pictures on your lap-top, brighten when needed, level it out, improve the cropping, etc. Narrow down to only your "best of the best" pictures before sharing. I have done that on my MacBook Pro computer using their iPhoto and now Aperture software tools. Fairly quick and easy!! That thoughtful editing really can make a major difference to increase quality and interest.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 167,546 views for this posting.