Probably a bit of a hot button topic - cruising and the nursing mom...

OsirisShotDown

Are there any nursing moms here that brought their little nursling on a cruise? Did you nurse in public or did you go back to your room? Did anyone (other cruisers and/or staff) say anything to you about it, one way or the other? How did you handle excursions/"adult time"/mealtimes in the dining room, etc?

We are cruising for the first time ever in March '06 and are bringing our DD (11 YO) and DS (who will be 11 MO at the time). DS is breastfed, just starting solids, but not too crazy about them at this point. I'm sure he'll be on more solids at the time of the cruise, but will probably still be primarily nursing.

Normally, I *discreetly* nurse him in public with no problems - I'm very modest and, unless someone is *really* paying attention, they would probably think that DS is just cuddling. I'm not quite as comfortable with the idea of nursing him anywhere and everywhere on the ship though. I don't know that I can really explain *why*; I can't quite put my finger on it myself. I think my main concern is in the main dining room, being at a table with people I don't know. To handle that, I plan on bringing my pump and pumping a bottle to take to the dining room for DS.

However, I am not about to pump a bottle for everytime we're going to be out and about on the ship. I hate pumping, I don't get nearly as much milk when I pump, and I don't want to be strapped to the pump when I could be out next to the pool. ;) I also don't want to have to traipse all the way back to my room just to nurse him for 10 - 15 minutes and then traipse all the way back to resume whatever activity I had been involved in. So, I'm thinking I can just find a spot that is a little out-of-the-way and somewhat private to nurse him for those few minutes and then go back to my spot. As of yet, he hasn't really fallen into a feeding "routine" - whenever he's hungry, he's hungry, and it's not necessarily the same time from day to day, so I can't necessarily *plan* to be in my room at the time when he *normally* gets hungry, because he doesn't have a time when he's *normally* hungry.

Any of you nursing moms have any tips/experiences you can share? Thanks in advance!

Heather

We cruised once on RCCI with my DD when she was nursing, but since she's now 10, culture seems to have changed (and not necessarily for the better). We accompanied my BIL and family (with their then 10MO) a few months back and his wife did get at least two nasty comments/looks while very discreetly nursing in rather secluded spots.

I concur that you needed slink back to your cabin everytime your son needs to nurse. There has been considerable "stink" raised on these boards about nursing in the dining rooms - so you may be well advised to avoid that. There are a number of more seculded public spots on most ships. Scout them out ahead of time. Remember if you are in a warmer climate, you may look a bit more conspicuous when trying to cover.

Good luck

First off.....let me say congrats on your baby- and an even bigger congrats for nursing. Nursing in public is tricky.......but once you've got the hang of it- like you said- unless someone comes right up to you and is staring at the baby, most likely they'll think you're just cuddling your little darling.

That being said......I have no problems with nursing in public. I've done it with my 2 boys.......just about everywhere. The one place I would feel uncomfortable with nursing would probably be in the dining rooms- but there are so many places for you to sit outside the dining rooms that it shouldn't be a problem. If you're by the pool, outdoors or even in one of the lounges.......it shouldn't be a problem. Thats just me......I actually stare back at people who give me dirty looks. I'm a bit confrontational like that......lol.

Go on your cruise......have a great time. And please remember-the more people nurse in public, the more the public will get used to seeing us and there won't even be topics like this on message boards. OK....off my soapbox now! ;)

Thanks for the responses, ladies.

Onessa, thanks for relating your SIL's experiences. We *are* going to the Caribbean, not sure how hot it will be in late March. DS doesn't like to have his head covered up anyway, so I can't use a blanket with him, but a bathing suit cover-up should provide suitable coverage, or even a nursing swimsuit.

Brenda, thanks! In my *head*, I'm confrontational, but I rarely have the, er, guts to back it up, for the most part. *L* But then again, I have not yet had anyone give me a hard time about nursing in public. If it was about that, though, I like to think that I would immediately "grow a set". ;)

And I completely agree, the more women nurse in public, the more the public will get used to seeing it and the less controversial it will be. Even within the US, acceptance of NIP can be a very regional thing. :)

Heather

Normally, I *discreetly* nurse him in public with no problems - I'm very modest and, unless someone is *really* paying attention, they would probably think that DS is just cuddling.

I think you have it pretty much worked out. We brought our 7-month-old son on our cruise last month, and everything went smoothly. We took my wife's breast pump and never used it.

My wife is modest too, and she does a good job of covering up with a napkin, wrap, or shawl when she's nursing. I don't think anyone said a single word about her nursing at any point on the trip.

Stay covered, nurse, and take a pump along as a backup. That should take care of pretty much any situation you might expect.

I think cruising and nursing are a great match.

I always get a chuckle when I see people posting about having to pack bottles and formula and baby food. We went on our first cruise when my son was 6 months old and we waited until after the cruise to introduce solids, so we didn't have to bring any of that stuff. Plus, the dirty diapers weren't nearly so stinky!

I didn't nurse him in the dining rooms of any busy places, but that was because it was a very distracted stage for him and he would actually get really upset if there was anything else going on when he was trying to eat. I did nurse a bit in quiet places on deck and thought it was great that we were never very far from our cabin and could go back and nurse very easily whenever we wanted. It was great. I did bring a small pump just in case but never used it.

By 11 months, my son would have been be quite happy at dinner with some cheerios and a glass of water (he never did eat baby food). At that age, it would probably be fine to give him a small bottle of regular milk if he wanted something else at dinner.

We did our excursions on our own, and I would just find a quiet place to nurse whenever we needed to. It worked out great.

Congratulations on the birth of your son and for nursing him!

Babies are born to be breastfed. (Bottles and formula are man-made contraptions -- and inferior ones at that!) Don't worry about what other people think, it's their problem not yours.

If someone has the gall to say something or to give you a stare just look at them and ask, "Did you think the baby Jesus used a Playtex Nurser?"

That being said, you'll probably be surprised that by the time you go on your cruise your 11 month old son will be snacking off of your plate and nursing just a couple of times a day. Also, with all of the excitement in the dining room, he'll be more interested in what's going on outside of your shirt!:p

You go girl. I would think Princess wouldn't want a PR war with a nursing mother. If you get any 'tude from a member of the crew, note down the name and then go to the pursur's office and suggest they pass on to that person that you have the right to nip.

I had trouble getting much using a pump (kept at it at work on my lunch hour -- pretty much a waste of my time; a place was partitioned off for me to use but it inconvenienced anyone wanting to get to the frig) so I basically just nursed first thing in the am and then at night after work. I didn't nip because I preferred being able to put my feet up while doing. It was more comfortable for me to use the bed or a reclining chair.

I have a hard time understanding why people have difficulty seeing a baby nursing in public. I nursed both of my kids for nearly 2 years each, so I got pretty good at being discreet. I think they are afraid they might see your breast, I know Janet Jacksons' sure scared a lot of people! I also have no idea why people are grossed out at the thought of breast milk and they aren't grossed out at cows milk. A mystery of life.

I'd have to say, though, the dining room could be a challenge. It's crowded and a bit noisy, my kids would have been too distracted to nurse in that environment. I would probably encourage my kids to breastfeed right before going to the dining room, they would be happy and relaxed then.

As for the pool area, well, we just don't try to sit right next to the pool, we find quieter spots up a deck, foreward or aft, many times there are lovely spots to get away from the madding crowd.

I doubt you would get comments from the staff or crew, they are mostly very gracious folk. More probable would be from another pax. If they have a problem with it, it is just that, their own problem, not yours. I don't come back at people with rude comments to try and match wits with them, sometimes you just have to let the fools go on their way. I'd probably just smile at them (while seething on the inside) and politely ask them to leave or look away if it really bothers them.

OK, I'll say right up front that I don't have any kids. But I agree that breastfeeding is perfectly natural, and I have no problem with mums nursing their babies in public.

The only problem I have with breastfeeding (and this applies to bottle-feeding as well) in the dining room is the occasional tendency of babies to spit up some of the milk when they're burped after feeding. On the whole, I'd rather not have to see that while I'm trying to eat!

Otherwise, I agree that you should go for it!

Lisa

If you catch somebody staring just tell em if they want to look at a variety to go to the topless deck....plenty of boobie up there!! I breast fed my son and was always bewildered at some peoples reactions....I mean they are just boobs and all ladies have em. I wish folks could just get over their boobophobia!!!

Congrats to you! Go and make some memories!

You will find many many 'quiet' places for your baby to nurse. There are lots of 'out of the way' areas near the pool, watching shows (there is usually an upper level), around the 'buffet' areas, etc. etc. I know when I was nursing my children - I always had my radar up for quiet areas that I could relax to nurse (very important for me also).

I also found that my child picked up on my comfort level and followed suit. I am sure you understand. The more relaxed and happy I was - ditto for them.

When my DH and I went on our 1st cruise (no children along) I looked for more "quiet" places for us to be anyway.....and they can be found.

As for the dining room - keep in mind he will be 11 mo then - possibly into some small snack foods - tiny pieces of bread or maybe a sippy cup at that time. And with a nice relaxing nurse before dinner, he maybe ready for some socialization and 'fun' time - so that you can enjoy your dinner. There are always back-up plans too. Just go with it and improvise when you have to.

As with every other aspect of parenting - be creative and patient. The rewards are overwhelming!:)

Robin

I nursed in public all of the time, but no one ever knew what I was doing because of the special nursing blanket I bought at "Babies 'R' Us." It was a blanket that covered one entire shoulder and lap but was open on the other side so you could use that arm. It had an adjustable strap with velcro on it so you could adjust it tighter or looser according to what was most comfortable for you. It covered my breastfeeding baby up so well that people walking by would say, "Shh, the baby's sleeping!" to their kids. But I adjusted the strap so that I could peer down at her from the opening in the top, but no one else could see anything. Oh, how I loved that nursing blanket!:) And when I was finished with it, I gave it to my sister-in-law who loved it too. It's been passed on to many people now, and every one of them swears by it. If I were you, I would look at some of the baby stores for one, or do a google on it. It was a lifesaver for me. I nursed everywhere with that thing without ever getting a nasty look. And the strap holds the blanket firmly in place so it doesn't keep falling down, which is great. It's hard to describe, but once you get one and start using it, you'll see what I mean. Keep nursing your baby for as long as you can and don't let anyone talk you out of it. It's what's best for both the baby and you.;)

I love this thread!!! I agree with the poster that said nursing and cruising is a perfect match. I've brought my son on so many vacations (cruising and others, too) that I wouldn't have been able to do if I had to bring formula, water, etc...What a pain!

I nursed my toddler everywhere on the ship and also on excursions and the plane, too. I'm actually not sure how people who don't nurse get their toddlers to nap in strange places and odd times, hehehe!

I did nurse in the dining room because sometimes that was the only way to keep him quiet. We actually had a table against a wall and that was nice and discreet. The only time I left to nurse was when I was wearing a formal dress and, well, next time I bring a little one I will wear a two-piece formal outfit! Lifting up an entire dress to nurse...THAT wouldn't have been appropriate :D :D :D

Good luck with everything and have fun!!!

when you said a table against the wall. When my baby was about 2 monthes old and I was very sleep deprived I remember us going to Mc Donalds one time. Well I took a booth in a far corner with my back to the room, figuring no one could see me at all and I really didn't have to be all that discreet about nursing. So I whipped out mr boobie and my baby went to town. After a couple minutes my husband started to chuckle. Turns out that right above and slightly behind my head was a huge plate glass window that I had not noticed. Accordingly to my husband I gave the folks in the drive through quite a show as they waited for their order!!!!:D

• 3 weeks later...

you will have no problems.

Last December, my son was 9mo on our NCL Dawn cruise and we breastfed in public, without a towel over his head. Like your son, my son would just pull the towel off. I found it easy to be discreet about it. The only time your nipple it really in view is right before he goes on or right after he's off. You've been doing it for several months now so I'm sure you have the hang of covering up if he unlatches unexpectedly. And you still have a lot of time so he may be nursing less often by 11 months anyway.

As for comments, most people would look away if they saw you getting ready to nurse. And it's only in the US that people have hang up about "oh my gosh! I saw a nipple! call the FCC!!" the islands are sooo laaaaaid baaaaack.

Enjoy your cruise!

I think anywhere you are comfortable being, you should be comfortable nursing. You eat in the dining room and if your baby is hungry, there should be no need except for your own comfort for you to get up and leave.

Since you don't eat with a blanket over your head, there should be no reason for your baby to do the same. A bottlefed baby is just as likely to spit up after eating as a breastfed baby. My DD only spit up 1% of the total time she was either breast or bottle fed. She was a helluva a burper though. Made me as her SAHD so proud! :D

This is a great thread.

Our son's first cruise was at the age of 11 months, and was nursing a few times a day. Morning and bedtime were easy as we were in the cabin. During the day, he'd have a bottle with water or juice or whatever I'd be able to pump that morning. (Having a refrigerator in the cabin was helpful, and I'd bring along a cold pack when we were ashore.) When I did nurse in a public room, I'd sit in a secluded area. This was in 1994, and no one ever said anything to me. Keep in mind that an 11-month-old doesn't usually nurse for very long, anyway.

We never nursed in the dining room or show lounge. Our son was more concerned with what was going on around him. Being nearly a year old, he was also interested in new foods. He even tried escargot and enjoyed it so much we had to order more, lol.

Enjoy your cruise!

I never nursed on a cruise but I did travel with nursing babies a few times. FWIW, if you want to bring a pump try the Avent Isis. It's small and quiet. Even though it's a manual it does a good job and is relatively quick.

Not much more can be said that hasn't already. But just thought I'd add my - YOU GO GIRL! Seems to me that since there are no negatives on here, people for the most part are finally accepting of a nursning mother's right to nurse wherever and whenever you and your baby decide. Have a great trip!

Are there any nursing moms here that brought their little nursling on a cruise? Did you nurse in public or did you go back to your room? Did anyone (other cruisers and/or staff) say anything to you about it, one way or the other? How did you handle excursions/"adult time"/mealtimes in the dining room, etc?

Heather

Heather - We recently did a Princess cruise where a woman was nursing at the dinner table. We didn't bat an eye nor did the others with us. As you mentioned, she was discreet, and everybody remained happy the whole cruise.

FWIW,

mj

Just like everyone else said, you shouldn't worry about it AT ALL and just breastfeed whenever necessary. I breastfed my 2 boys everywhere, restaurants, whatever. Nobody could see anything since my shirt sits on top of the baby and even going on or off, that was sort of under the shirt. I would do it in the dining room, babies need to eat too! I actually liked that in restaurants so that it keeps the baby quiet while in there while I could sort of eat with one hand most of the time.

I took my then 10 month old daughter on her 1st cruise, and she was almost exclusively breastfeeding at the time. I nursed when ever she was hungry...at the table, at the shows, on the beach, on the deck....

If my child was hungry, she was going to eat. I am EXTREMELY pro BFing and hate to see people feel so bad when this topic comes up.

We are going on the Conquest in Feb 2006. My dd will be 16 mos and we are still nursing, and plan to nurse in public if necesary.

HTH!

miranda

Go on your cruise......have a great time. And please remember-the more people nurse in public, the more the public will get used to seeing us and there won't even be topics like this on message boards. OK....off my soapbox now! ;)

ITA!!!! Took the words right out of my mouth!

Archived