NCl back to Cozumel next week

Zeno

I think there is a big ethical difference between selling an itinerary that you have every reasonable expectation to be able to deliver, then having to make changes later due to weather or unforeseen mechanical problems, and selling an itinerary that you must be reasonably certain you won't be able to deliver at all.

For the first few weeks of the engine problem I think NCL fell into the first category. Since then I think they have been falling into the second.

But as cruisegirl said,

"You know we all have different views/opinions.... And apparently we won't agree.... "

That is the projected path of the newest storm (Gamma) expected to turn into a hurricane. As you can see it it stays on its current track it could reach Cozumel early next week

The current track has TD27 heading for the same area as Beta, which was quite a way south of Cozumel. Here's a better map that includes national borders. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/145947.shtml?5day?large

Some of the other charts at the NOAA site show the wind probabilities in various areas. They haven't predicted anything at all for Cozumel yet, but the area to the east of Coz on the same latitude has only a 10% chance of experiencing Tropical Storm force winds (39 mph). Unless the storm veers quite a ways northward, Cozumel is probably safe. Roatan and Belize could be in for heavy surf and rain though.

I think there is a big ethical difference between selling an itinerary that you have every reasonable expectation to be able to deliver, then having to make changes later due to weather or unforeseen mechanical problems, and selling an itinerary that you must be reasonably certain you won't be able to deliver at all.

For the first few weeks of the engine problem I think NCL fell into the first category. Since then I think they have been falling into the second.

What's reasonably certain? Would it be okay to sell the original itinerary when NCL is reasonably certain they could repair the engine by a certain date? Or should they wait to sell that itinerary until the engine is actually fixed?

How many times has the front office been told the engine may be fixed by a certain date? Since we aren't in on inside information, how can we even judge NCL actions?

This week’s schedule is: Carnival Triumph and Celebrity Galaxy (today); Star Princess, Norwegian Sun and Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas (Tuesday); Carnival Miracle, Norwegian Majesty, Coral Princess and Celebrity Zenith (Wednesday); Royal Caribbean Legend of the Seas (Thursday); Friday: Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas (Friday); and Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas (Saturday).

http://www.cruise-community.com/ShowStory.asp?ID=8548

(sub may be needed to read entire article)

Fiesta's in Cozumel as of today with the above schedule for visiting ships using tenders only, max 4 ships per day til further notice.

We just look at facts alone. Those can not be disputed. The facts are that the June Alaska cruise was shortened due to engine problems. Way later, Oct 13, cruises were still shortened due to engine problems. Nov 10, there are engine problems which again disallow sold itineraries to be completed.

We don't know if the engines are being repaired. And I doubt that ANY poster knows if, when, or how. Thanks to those who have given us information gained from meetings onboard with the captain, etc. Shame to those who are pulling rabbits out of their hats.

We do know that if the engines are not repaired, past recent experience can lead a prudent person to expect that current sailings have a great probability to experience the same shortened itineraries and missed ports. And they will. Hide and watch.

We know that if the engines have not been repaired, itineraries that were not able to be completed in the past should not be given as expected calls by NCL, because they can't be expected to be completed. Experience shows.

We know that missed ports does not mean that the food, entertainment and will be bad aboard the ship. We know that missed ports do not make the ship dirty or suddenly too old for comfort and fun. We know that one or two rude or attention-lacking cruise staffers does not represent the rest of the staff. They don't go hand-in-hand. As I have said before, we can run into knuckleheads at a Dale Carnegie class. Shame on those who think that the one bad staffer means that everyone should stay off the cruise.

So we go have fun, regardless. And we know that.

And we do ask NCL to be upfront, communicative, cordial at all levels, and forthright. We do ask to be sold only that which can be done. This is an entirely seperate issue from the "now let's have fun" part.

What's reasonably certain? Would it be okay to sell the original itinerary when NCL is reasonably certain they could repair the engine by a certain date? Or should they wait to sell that itinerary until the engine is actually fixed?

How many times has the front office been told the engine may be fixed by a certain date? Since we aren't in on inside information, how can we even judge NCL actions?

you are right but I am learning it doesn't pay to keep argueing about this. We are batting our heads against the wall. Cecelia has asked us not to turn everything into an argument over when and if the engine will be replaced. Of course I agree with you and feel no one knows the answer, probably not even NCL. I think I am just going to give up on this subject. Have to admit, I will keep reading the replys, but am going to try and keep my opinions to myself for awhile. NMNita

Hi again. This thread is about NCL's return to Cozumel; not the Dream's ongoing engine problems or the continuing debate about the engine. Please don't hijack a thread to continue the arguing. Some people are interested in the original topic. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Just back off the Sun. Stopped in Cozumel to drop off bedding supplies. One of the ferries came out to meet us and load materials. The Sun didn't get too close to shore, but we were directly offshore of the central square.

I think a stop this week in Cozumel might be a bit premature. Major damage to all of the cruise docks, will be awhile before any docking. Major damage all along the waterfront. Many windows blown out on the higher hotels. Some evidence of total interior gutting of rooms. Very little vehicular traffic on the waterfront road. It was getting dusk and we continued south along the shore. Continued major damage along the southwest coast.

I don't know what the Dream guests will find when they stop this week, but heaven knows that Cozumel needs all the help it can get right now.

Tiger

Thanks Woody101 for the update. I am going on the Sun on the 20th and just booked the Tulum/Xel Ha excursion. It hasn't been confirmed via email by NCL but I will be curious to see what excursions will be available or doable. Based on your 1st hand account it seems I am dreaming to think there will be much to do at port. I might decide to do a scuba excursion w/ some of the other cruisers. Any other suggestions??

Here is a qote from the Cozumel board from a local as of yesterday:

"I went down to the plaza several times today so far because it just makes me feel so good. It's a very life-affirming experience to see all the locals gathering to celebrate the rebirth of downtown after all the hardwork and to welcome tourists returning to the island in the form of two cruiseships which are hanging out just off shore in what is known down here as "fondeo". They are tendered to the ferry dock on some of the modern passenger ferries that ply the waters of the Yucatan channel all day bringing locals and tourists back and forth between Cozumel and the mainland.

The city's cultural committee is really pulling out the stops. There was ballet folkloric in the morning, a cowboy doing rope tricks, a big, happy mariachi band. There were pretty young people on stilts wearing satin tuxedos with painted faces posing to have their pictures taken with cruise passengers. Very colorful and fun. And much more REAL than the, frankly, pretty plastic atmosphere cruise passengers were formerly being treated to when they came into the regular cruisehip piers all of which were rather severely damaged by Hurricane Wilma.

Music everywhere, downtown outdoor cafes full of tourists enjoying people watching and sipping a beer or having a plate of nachos. Artists selling their works. Several photographic displays showing Cozumel after the hurricane and after the three weeks of hard work. The Mayor's slogan: Wilma was Strong. But Cozumel is Stronger.

And that certainly seemed the case this morning. Just hard to keep from smiling. They've got the downtown street closed off and its a shopper's paradise with so much to do and see. This will be going on all week. And, if the city is smart, they'll make this a regular deal.

Didn't notice too many tourists heading back any futher than the edge of the pedestrian only plaza. Hope that's not because they're afraid. Because I'm here to tell you this is an incredibly safe town. I'm a woman, live right downtown and regularly go out by myself at 10 or 11 at night and never worry for my safety. So take this opportunity to explore a fascinating and colorful culture if you're stopping at Cozumel soon."

Cruzegirl - how long have you lived in Santa Clarita? I lived there from 84-01. I miss the 'ol days when it wasn't as built up. I married into the military so we are now in Va Beach and soon to be Key West come March (one of the advantages of military).

Happy Sailings!

80/80girl,

Small world...lol...I've been in Santa Clarita since 1995.... And before that in Lancaster 1989-1995.... So we were here at the same time....Where did you live? I live on the Canyon Country side.... Florida sounds good to me....Closer to the Caribbean......:p :D

Debbie

Definitely a small world. Lived in Valencia and graduated from Hart HS in '88. Worked as a merchandise secretary at Magic Mtn thru most of college. Graduated from CSU-Northridge in fall '93. Parents moved to AZ during college so I then moved around alot in Santa Clarita - lived in Cyn Ctry near the HS off of Delight, in Sand Cyn, and then Northridge.

Worked at Warner Bros for 6 yrs and at St. Jude Medical in Sylmar for 2. I also lived in Castaic for some of that time.

I write all of that 'cuz maybe we know each other.

Lynn

Definitely a small world. Lived in Valencia and graduated from Hart HS in '88. Worked as a merchandise secretary at Magic Mtn thru most of college. Graduated from CSU-Northridge in fall '93. Parents moved to AZ during college so I then moved around alot in Santa Clarita - lived in Cyn Ctry near the HS off of Delight, in Sand Cyn, and then Northridge.

Worked at Warner Bros for 6 yrs and at St. Jude Medical in Sylmar for 2. I also lived in Castaic for some of that time.

Lynn

Milwaukee - yep leaving the 20th. I will try and post from the boat. I read the other thread you were trying to start and hopefully I will be able to answer you. I cannot remember when you are sailing, remind me.

It was my impression when speaking w/ Well Wishers that even a 2-day notice would do - but not necessarily recommended (my opinion). I think the advance notice was mainly if you were going to do the "bar set-up" thru NCL.

I hope my beer makes it there too! :)

80/80 girl I am on the dec 4th sailing!!!!

it would be great if you could post while you are on the ship!!!! I do not plan on ordering from wellwishers until I hear from you!!!

i wish you the best of luck and hope there is a cold suprize in your room when you get there!!!!

Lynn

the world is getting even smaller: my daughters first job was Magin Mtn when she was in college; CSU-Northridge but that was about 10 plus years before you. Her hubby graduated from there as well. I think our daughter had more fun than getting a good education; not the fault of CSU but she thought sorority life was what she went to college for. It has turned out fine, she is successful, has a great job, great hubby and two wonderful daughters. My sister lived in Canyon Country for years. NMNita

NewMexicoNita- what sorority was she in? Lynn

she was a Kappa and I was a AZD years ago at SDState: our granddaughter was a tri Delt at CSU in Colo. I could go on, we are very versitile and believe it or not, with the exception of our youngest daughter none of us have pledged a legacy sorority. NMNita

Archived