Are Windstar excursions worth it?

puaviator

I just booked Naturally Costa Rica on the Star Breeze. This is my first Windstar cruise and my first trip to Costa Rica. In the past I've spent months obsessing about what to do and booked my own excursions. As I leave next week and work right up until my flight leaves I don't have much time. So...are Windstar's excursions worthwhile? Also, when they say strenuous do they mean strenuous for a normal person or the elderly? I plan on spending a few days before and after in Costa Rica so I'm also trying to figure out what to do on the cruise and what to do while on land.

Thanks for any input,

Dawn

Haven't done this cruise but based on their others strenuous is for less mobile people. Age doesn't have as much to do with it as physical ability to get around barriers, stairs, long walks, etc.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It looks like you will be at two stops we did back in 2014/2015 on the Wind Spirit although when I looked at your shore excursions most were not the ones we had available to us.

In Bahia Drake our two college age sons did the "strenuous" tour to Corcovado National Park. They were very disappointed in the fact that several people were obviously not able to do anything "strenuous" which made for a much slower hike through the park then they had hoped for. (Both boys are big into the outdoors and such; those folks should have never been on their hike.) If we had it to do over again, we would have found a private tour/hike for them to enjoy the park. They did see a lot of wild life but it could have been a better experience overall for them.

While the boys did the hike, my husband and I went to shore and hung out at Aguila de Osa hotel and enjoyed a snack and drinks and just took in the atmosphere and relaxed.

In Quepos, we booked a private tour with Quepos Canyoning. http://quepocanyoning.net/ It was one of the most adventuresome things I've ever done and was SO worth it! They have zip lining and repelling of a waterfall and the monkey drop and more. They picked us up and brought us back very close to the yacht. The four of us had a great day and even bought the DVD with over 100 pictures and video of us doing our thing.

Have a great time! Costa Rica was amazing!

Edited by Ski Mom 2

We also did this itinerary (more or less) on the Wind Spirit a few years ago and did the Windstar excursions all week. From what I recall, they were just fine, but if you choose to go Windstar all the way, I would at least suggest varying the types of activities you do. By the end of the week, walking through a park trying to spot monkeys--while still nice!--started to get a bit been-there-done-that. We did one zipline excursion, but since we had been in Costa Rica for a few days before the cruise and had done a great zipline already, the one on the excursion lost a bit of its luster and novelty.

I see that your time in San Juan del Sur is very short, which is a shame. We were able to make it up to Granada and did a short boat tour on the lake. I see that Granada isn't even on offer, which is not surprising given the short time. You should do something that gets you out, though, if for no other reason than to see the contrast between Nicaragua and Costa Rica. It's quite fascinating to see.

I would echo the impression that strenuous is really more about mobility than physical exertion. If you're reasonably fit and able to navigate stairs, gravel, dirt paths, etc. it shouldn't be a problem. The only exception would be a zipline excursion, where you might have to be able to help hoist yourself onto the wire or be able to slow yourself down with your arms/hands.

Enjoy! Costa Rica is as lovely as you're expecting it to be.

Thanks. I'm more in line with skimom's sons. Strenuous to me is a 10 mi hike with a 4000'+ elevation gain. Will probably zipline up at Arenal and hike so looking to stick closer to the water. The Nicaragua stop is short. Considering trying surfing there and maybe heading back up after the cruise to see the lake. I have an as yet unplanned week after. Going to do the Cano snorkel in Bahia Drake as I've been told that's the best snorkeling. Maybe one of the horseback options earlier in the week.