Question for Sail7Seas

imsulin2

Hi, Sail!

I'm hoping you can give me some tips on packing for my 10-7-06 15-day Zaandam to Hawaii. (With RevNeal and other great folks!) I've been on several two-three week cruises, but they were on a tall ship that was strictly shorts/T-shirts/Tevas. I've also been on the Zaandam before. It looks like 9-10 sea days, and 5 days in ports. I think that most of us are planning to bring the expected "Aloha wear", but I need some advice about sea days and keeping packing to a minimum! I'd appreciate any packing "secrets" you could give me, as well as any insights you might have - especially if you've done this itinerary before. TIA!!

Imsulin......

I'd be more than happy to help but I have never done that itinerary. It sounds wonderful and hope you all have a great time.

Zaandam is a fabulous ship and we've enjoyed a number of fabulous cruises on her.

Hope all of you will post comments about your cruise.

Thanks, Sail!! Even though you've never done this itinerary, I still need to know how to keep packing to a minimum for a 2-weeker! I also loved the Zaandam - did a 7-night Western over Christmas a few years ago. Amazing ship! Anyone else is welcome to reply, too! I've used Travel Smith in the past, but only for land trips to Europe - don't think their items are geared towards cruises, though. :( Anyway, if you think of any tips I might use, please post again! Thanks so much!

Hi Sue,

I've "done" the San Diego/Hawaii/San Diego cruise a few times and am currently booked for the Christmas/New Year's cruise aboard the Amsterdam. I'm planning to join you on The Voyage of the Spammed next year but so far every time I plan to make my deposit something else shows up and smacks me in the face. This time it's a deposit for a River Cruise from Marseille to Paris next year, but rest assured I'll visit the bank and withdraw even more money for my cruise deposit.

Anyway, back to your question: I usually pack 4 pairs of white (washable) slacks and several interchangeable tops. The Fashion Police have never yet stopped me and said "hey, you wore that outfit 5 days ago":D Comfortable walking shoes, with rubber soles in case of slippery decks or gangways are also necessary.

There are 8 "Casual Nights" and only 3 "Informal Nights" aboard this cruise.

There are usually four formal nights aboard this cruise - again mix and match works just fine. There is usually one "Hawaiian Night" aboard the ship, but if I remember correctly it's either when we are visiting the Islands or on the way home so you have the opportunity to buy some Aloha items if you feel the need to. If you don't show up in Hawaiian clothing, trust me, nobody notices or cares.

This cruise operates mostly on the Hawaiian theory of "Hang Loose" - it's very casual and a whole lot of fun.

I hope this was of some help to you and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Valerie:)

Valerie - can't thank you enough for giving me some great information! I'll be flying r/t from Atlanta to San Diego and want to avoid the infernal charge for overweight baggage! Both ways! Your suggestions for four pair of white capris/long pants are really good...think I already have those. (Doncha just love Clorox??) Think I have the mix & match formal wear down pat, unless the traditional long black skirt and different tops go out of style between now and then. Can you give me an idea of what the weather on those looooong sea days will be like in October? I'm the one who gets up early to snag a pool chair and laze in the slimming black one-piece suit with my favorite book/s all day! (It's either that or play my disgustingly poor hands of Bridge with unsuspecting partners). Thanks, Valerie!

Psst...don't tell anyone, but I'll be 60 at the time of this cruise, with five grown kids, and am bringing (gasp!) a two-piece suit to wear in public! Forget the Fashion Police...my concern is more about the Censor Police!:D And - PLEASE do join us on the (infamous) Voyage of the Spammed cruise!

(Are you doing a Peter Deilman river cruise?? Sigh.)

Sue,

I haven't done the October Hawaii cruise, but DH and I did one in early March 2003, so I suspect the weather might be similar. The first and last evenings and the first, and last, two days at sea were a bit chilly, so you will definitely need something with long sleeves like a light windbreaker, to wear over lighter tops when out on deck. Layering works well.

It gets progressively warmer as you approach Hawaii so you're on the right track to bring both slacks and capris. If you're planning on doing your sunning around the covered Lido pool you'll be warm enough, but the open pool on Lido deck might be chilly and windy at first.

Good for you re: the new swimsuit! If you can still look good in one flaunt it!! I know it takes hard work to keep that shape. On our recent Volendam cruise there was an older (than you) woman in a bikini and she looked great!!

When travelling on longer itineraries, the trick is having oufits that can be mixed and matched. I also recommend splurging on ship and purchasing a laundry package. I rarely iron my shorts or jeans and always love getting the laundry package because the ship does a really nice job. :D

The nice thing is that this is a warm weather itinerary, so you have to pack less bulky items. ;)

Have a great trip!:cool:

Hi Insulin

Can you take some fashion advice from a guy?

We did the HI trip last spring. There are 4 formal nights and after one of them there is the Black and White Ball. You can read all about it if you do a search using those key words. I think they only have this event on longer cruises. I never experienced it before on a 7 or 10 day HAL cruise.

My advice: Make sure you have a black and white outfit for that formal night. It is good fun. I won a bottle of champagne in a spot dance.

I agree with other posters that the weather can be a little chilly and the sea a little rough when close to the US mainland. I was on the Zaandam last summer and the interior is much improved now that they have done the SOE upgrades. Keep in mind that the ship still has laundramats.

Ken

Hi Sue,

Sorry I didn't get a chance to log on yesterday. The20fus gave you some great information about the weather. It probably will be fairly chilly the first and last two days of the cruise but it certainly does warm up as we approach Hawaii. Also, if you have any problems with motion sickness, the first two days out of port can be quite rocky. The Pacific is definitely a misnamed ocean - it can be far from peaceful at times.

As for the Black and White Ball - I remember it on a couple of cruises, and it's a lot of fun. There was one cruise though where the weather was so rough that the Ball was cancelled much to the dismay of many of the ladies who had had their hair done especially for the occasion. I'm pretty sure that wasn't during a Hawaii cruise - I think it may have been the San Diego to Rio cruise.

Go ahead and bring that two-piece suit and, again as the2ofus says, flaunt it.

Valerie:)

Archived