What's the best cruise from LA or San Diego?

Reltco

I'm finally back from my 6 month "cruise" on USS Nimitz (CVN 68) to the Persian Gulf and now I'm ready for the fun stuff! Is there a good one to take on this side of the US? I see various cruise ships arriving in San Diego across the bay from the base and wonder if any seasoned veterans can suggest anything.

Thanks

Reltco

I'm finally back from my 6 month "cruise" on USS Nimitz (CVN 68) to the Persian Gulf and now I'm ready for the fun stuff! Is there a good one to take on this side of the US? I see various cruise ships arriving in San Diego across the bay from the base and wonder if any seasoned veterans can suggest anything.

Thanks

Reltco

Welcome back from your 6 month cruise.

My preference would be to sail from San Diego.. I assume you live in the SD area so getting on and off is easier than Long Beach or San Pedro. I also think that San Diego is a beautiful port to sail out of (especially at sunset), which you have probably already experienced.

Most of the SD itineraries are similar to the LA ships, 7 day Mexico and 15 day Hawaii round trips.

More and more ships are sailing from SD and the city is delighted to have them. We enjoy having lunch at Anthony's when the ships are in to see them at dock and sometimes to watch them sail.

Glad to have the USS Nimitz here as well as the USS Reagan and now the USS Midway. They are magnificent ships.:)

First off, Reltco, welcome back and thank you for serving your country, we are all so proud of you!

San Diego is not necessarily warmer than Los Angeles, it's pretty much the same. San Diego is a lot nicer to leave from, only because it is San Diego and not Los Angeles!

Actually, my favorite cruise leaving from San Diego would have to be a round trip Hawaiian cruise. There are a few 8 and 10 day Mexico cruises from there, too and perhaps even a coastal cruise up to Vancouver in the springtime to relocate the ship for Alaska season.

Here is a schedule of ships leaving from San Diego for the next year or so:

http://www.portofsandiego.org/sandiego_maritime/cruise/schedulesearch.asp

Reltco, my vote is for the Norwegian Star, 8-night Mexican Riviera sailing out of Los Angeles (San Pedro, actually). It's an awesome ship, great itinerary, loved the freestyle dining...we had a blast sailing her in February.

Hope you get to enjoy a more relaxing cruise than the Nimitz! ;)

Hi Reltco,

You will have a very wide choice of cruises between now and the end of April, when the cruise ships begin repositioning for the Alaskan season. The first decision factor should be the length of cruise that you are interested in. Royal Caribbean and Carnival cruise lines have 3 and 4 day cruises, that depart year round, from San Pedro and Long Beach respectively. These cruises make port calls at Ensanada (three and four day) and Catalina.

There are 7,8,10 and 11 day cruises leaving from both San Diego and LA bound for the mexican ports, and also one way and round trip cruises to the Hawaiian islands. Carnival, Holland America, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian all have ships home porting in San Diego and the LA area.

The second decision factor should be the cruise line you think will be the best fit. Carnival has a lively, party oriented atmosphere; very good food; good entertainment, and a younger passenger profile. Royal Caribbean is is competative, with a more sedate and laid back cruise experience. Holland America and Celebrity are upscale options and provide a bit more in space, service and amenities.

After you decide on a length of your cruise, and between Hawaii and Mexico you need not worry about the itinerary as all the cruise lines share the same choices of ports depending on the length of your cruise.

This information should help you get started on your cruise selection, and surfing the cruise critic boards ( cruise reviews) will help you zero in on the best cruise for you. As you will find out there are many options, and some folks have never met a cruise they didn't like. Good luck on your first cruise.

petert

Welcome home...and thank you for helping keep our country safe and free. We just completed a cruise on VIsion (LA/San Pedro) to Baja/Mexican Riviera and enjoyed it very much. It was our first experience sailing from the West Coast. Whatever you choose, have a great cruise!

First, like those before me, thank you for your service to our country and welcome home. I can remember (I was just a baby) when my dad left out of San Diego for the south Pacific. As for cruising, the fun kind that is, San Diego will offer a little better weather, a little sooner, but your choices of ships will not be as good as if you drive to the LA area. I, like another poster would suggest the NCL Star. It offers an extra day for about the same price as the other lines. The ship is about 4 years old and gets great reviews. If you want a shorter cruise, yes, RCI and Carnival offer 3 and 4 dayers.

Whatever you decide, I would call a reputable TA as they will know the best way to get you a military discount or sometimes they have access to even better promos. If you choose to do it on your own, call the cruise line, do not depend on the website to give you the best prices: There are often promos that are not listed as there are too many to list.

Again thanks for your service and take care of San Diego. Both DH and I went to San Diego State, many years ago. I am about to go watch the rest of the SD state football game. NMnita

We sailed the Diamond Princess out of LA to the Mexican Riviera last Feb and had a fantastic time. The ship is much newer than the Vision, less than a year old at the time we sailed, freshwater pools, great food. My niece and her husband were on the Vision at the exact same time and were docked next to us in Mazatlan. Vision is definitely a smaller ship so if you prefer intimacy, it's the one to take.

That said, I'm not dissing the Vision at all, I know my niece had a great time. And I'm looking at possibly sailing her out of Seattle late next summer, if I can fit one more cruise in :-). I know she's going in for a drydock early next year so I'd expect she'll be in really good shape after that.

Princess and RCI are our 2 favorite cruiselines - I'd probably base my decision on pricing if nothing else.

If you can spare the time, how about one of the new round-trips to Hawaii? I don't know exactly when or how many they are doing, but they sure sound fun. It's 2 weeks though.

My sister and BIL recently did the Vision Mexican Riviera and really enjoyed it.

Welcome back; so glad you are home safe and sound.

beachchick

Archived