Can't add person because of fire code?

japit

It is unacceptable that we were guaranteed four people in a room at the time of booking, and are now told something completely different. Is there anything we can do? This doesn't seem right.

The answer to your problem is the same answer the OP was given. If there is not enough lifeboat capacity at your muster station to now accommodate your 3rd and 4th passengers, NCL is not going to book them in your cabin. The only way you would have truly been guaranteed four people in the cabin would have been to book 4 people in the cabin.

Cancellations and upsells/upgrades happen. Keep checking, perhaps an opening will come up.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

The fire code reason I doubt is real, most ships have the walking track on the same deck as the lifeboats/rafts and being a curious person I have counted the capacity and numbers of lifeboats. I cannot say for any NCL ship since I have not sailed on NCL yet! But other cruise lines lifeboat capacity is more than the maximum of the number of passengers. I have also counted the liferafts and that covers more than the crew. So it is more likely a software issue or something to do with selling cabins vs adding more people to existing reservations. If anyone is going on the ship all they need to do is walk by the lifeboats and count the capacity and number of boats to find out if the BS meter should be pegged or not.

I guess it never occurred to you there might be reason for more lifeboat/raft capacity than you think they need. Does that mean you'd have no problem staying onboard if the lifeboat you're assigned to is damaged?

The fire code reason I doubt is real, most ships have the walking track on the same deck as the lifeboats/rafts and being a curious person I have counted the capacity and numbers of lifeboats. I cannot say for any NCL ship since I have not sailed on NCL yet! But other cruise lines lifeboat capacity is more than the maximum of the number of passengers. I have also counted the liferafts and that covers more than the crew. So it is more likely a software issue or something to do with selling cabins vs adding more people to existing reservations. If anyone is going on the ship all they need to do is walk by the lifeboats and count the capacity and number of boats to find out if the BS meter should be pegged or not.

I believe you are comparing the lifeboat capacity to the published "capacity", which is double occupancy, not the maximum capacity. The maximum capacity for passengers is essentially the lifeboat capacity, minus the 2-3 crew per boat, and perhaps rounded up to the next standard boat capacity, if needed. Yes, there are more liferafts than crew, but per SOLAS, passengers are not to be assigned to rafts unless the boats are unavailable.

It is definitely about revenue, as I believe I have stated earlier in this thread, when they get close to the maximum number of 3rd/4th guests if all the cabins were full at double occupancy, they will stop allowing 3rd/4th bookings until all the cabins are booked. This is due to the fact that 1st/2nd guests pay more than 3rd/4th, but it still impacts the total number of passengers, and the closer to sailing if some cabins are still not sold, they will open up 3rd/4th bookings again.

This exact same thing happened to us sailing the BA aft Penthouse in August. I could have put my niece in a studio cabin for about the same price (with perks included), but there was no lifeboat capacity. Adding her to the Suite as a third passenger meant I also needed to buy the beverage and dining packages. NCL would only offer two dinners in the Haven dining room for a fee if she was in the studio. They offered us another suite in a different location on the ship that had capacity that would cost more $$ than adding her to our suite or to have her in a studio. My TA kept trying and eventually was able to add her. So, I agree with previous posters to keep checking in to see if there is capacity because that worked for us. Good Luck!

See above. There is a soul limit per zone. It is non negotiable and non modifiable and has been discussed ad nauseum. It's real. Is it the case in this instance - probably but yes someone could be using it as an excuse.

But understand this.

The ship CANNOT under ANY circumstances put more sould into one zone (muster station) than the ship is rated for. Period. No discussion, no overrides, no variance. Period. For all intents and purposes this is international law.