Scooter Rental

long4theocean

I wouldn't. Two wheelers on island are rare and when you see the roads and the traffic you might understand why: potholes, cows, kids, dogs, chickens, pigs, donkeys. I have owned motorcycles in the past but would not be keen to ride on Antigua. Having said that, speeds are low. It would be hard to find any stretch of road where you could get up to 50mph. We did rent scooters on Bermuda but that was very different. Your choice!

absolutely wonderful way to see the inside of an emergency room on the island - and this applies to any island in the Carib'

When I was USCG and the Carib was my workplace there was a standing order that renting two wheel motorized transportation ('cycle, moped, scooter etc) was prohibited and if one did so they were susceptible to disciplinary action AND if injured the injury would NOT be covered by military health care (you'd be treated but would get a bill as the injury would be 'not in the line of duty' and 'due to own misconduct')

This came into being because of the large number of folks that got seriously hurt (or worse) on what should have been safe R&R time.

even if yoy ride well, and ride everyday at home one needs to consider

- driving on the LEFT

- narrow roads

- "local driving customs"

- other tourists who are ALSO unfamiliar (and step out in front of you cuz they looked the wrong way

- sand on the roads that makes them resemble ice skating rinks

- generally horrible conditions of the machines for rent (brakes? You don't need brakes. No those tires aren't bald, they're fine)

- add a beer or 3 to each of the above ....

oh and the bike is almost always damaged by you resulting in additional charges (as determined by the person who rented to you)

I strongly recommend NOT doing this.