Discovery opinion mixed

Did the Paradise Islands trip from January 22 and absolutely loved it but talking to a mix of ages opinion differed greatly. We are the older brigade and I guess the restaurants and furnishings are important to many of us. The Discovery has these in abundance. I can understand the younger brigade might prefer the self service section and I would agree the attraction here was less evident. The area looked pretty cramped while there was plenty of space in the other areas. The theatre is superb but was let down by the entertainment - nothing against the talented youngsters, who have superb voices, but there was a total lack of props and little imagination in the presentation.

Did the Paradise Islands trip from January 22 and absolutely loved it but talking to a mix of ages opinion differed greatly. We are the older brigade and I guess the restaurants and furnishings are important to many of us. The Discovery has these in abundance. I can understand the younger brigade might prefer the self service section and I would agree the attraction here was less evident. The area looked pretty cramped while there was plenty of space in the other areas. The theatre is superb but was let down by the entertainment - nothing against the talented youngsters, who have superb voices, but there was a total lack of props and little imagination in the presentation.

I am glad you enjoyed your cruise on Discovery Dorothy.

You summarize our view which is that the ship has great ambience in the public areas, particularly the main restaurants with the stunning windows, and the excellent theatre.

We found the buffet restaurant to be too busy and noisy with little pleasant decor. We only had one lunch in there.

Breakfast in the MDR is superb. There are excellent alternative dining venues too.

We are on her again in late March.

Totally agree. The only meal we had in the Island buffet was on the final morning. We sat near the entrance and were appalled at the number of people who ignored the hand machines on entry. We picked up wrapped items in the Snack Shack to take with us if we were going to miss lunch and also thought the fresh cooked fish and chips were good here too. There was also the little counter during the day at the inside pool. We enjoyed talking to people over meals in the main restaurant and as virtual newcomers to the cruise scene got some excellent tips. We did notice that a huge number did not appear to have the drinks option and I wonder how that will impact when the ship is all inclusive from the summer. We do not drink a lot but will be quite happy provided Thomson keep the overall cruise prices at a reasonable level. One complaint we heard regularly from the younger brigade was about stingy measures when drinking shorts and some even suggested they were watered down. No expert myself but must admit some of the cocktails were disappointing.

I'm mystified by the move to total all inclusive. The current cost of the drinks package for two for two weeks is £726 which is far more than many people would spend on alcohol, particularly as the individual drinks are normal pub prices, and with such port intensive itineraries time is constricted on board. Some people will obviously have the desire and capacity to take advantage of the package but I know we would suffer if we drank half of that.

Everyone is different and we really enjoy having a tipple on our balcony as the ship prepares to sail late afternoon/evening enjoying the Caribbean warmth as we sail, a glass or two of wine with dinner, and maybe a nightcap later.

I can only assume that cruise prices will rise and the drinks package quality will decrease with everything AI. It does seem an odd move, I hope its not a retrograde step as Discovery is such a great vessel.

We enjoyed the fish 'n chips from the Snack Shack as well!

Hi Jake, probably agree with your observations but tonight have booked a two week cruise next January for under £1900 each. All inclusive and waiter service as we always eat in the restaurant when possible, you just can't beat it. All on a ship that looks like a cruise liner unlike some we saw on our recent Caribbean trip. As is well documented on this forum I am a critic of Thomsons customer relations, but I cannot believe they would dare lower standards much with more new vessels due in the next few years. That would surely spell industrial suicide in such a competitive market. Only time will tell, but at the price it does not seem much of a gamble.