Bottled Water Ripoff

Curtw

$33 for a 12 pack of water?? crazy pricing on NCL

I was just on Princess and ordered a 12 pack of water for room....... $8.00 Canadianand that's adding the 35% exchange rate . Thats cheaper than buying a bottle at the corner store or airport....lol

That's 2.75 for a liter bottle and I pay 1.99 at my gas station for a liter bottle....we use them just for excursions off the ship and use our Brita bottles on the ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm pretty sure the 15 drink limit is to stop folks from sharing drinks with passengers who don't have the drink plan. I'm not saying I've never drank fifteen drinks in a day, but I'm pretty sure I spent the next three or four recovering...

ITA

JMO People who have an issue with Carnival's 15 drink limit don't realize it applies only to "adult" beverages, are planning on "sharing" the plan or might have a drinking problem. Regardless the 15 day limit seems reasonable to me.

Beware, Norwegian no longer allows bottled water carry-on, and they charge over $6 per bottle for 1 liter bottles of water. Compare to Carnival, who will deliver a 12-pack of 1/2 liter water to your room for under $5. Do the math, Norwegian: over $6 per liter. Carnival: about $1.20 per liter. Norwegian is 5 times higher. Ridiculous, right? Price gouging!

Bottled water is a mainstay for us when we travel, we would not have sailed Norwegian knowing this. Seems like a small issue, but every time I took a sip, found myself thinking ka-ching, certainly tarnished the good times.

NCL will nickle and dime with everything.

Something I might decide to get before my next cruise is a water bottle with a filter built in. Not only would be helpful on NCL ships, but also when in port :) Now how GOOD those water bottles with filters are, not sure, but it's worth a shot.

My family has been using the Brita for years, the are sturdy and easy to clean, each filter is good for about 300 fills. The only reason we opt to still buy a smaller water package for excursions, is my boys are notorious for misplacing water bottles at the beach or on transportation to and from places. But as an adult you are probably good to go taking on excursions with you!

One of the reasons NCL uses the large bottles and charges a lot for them is environmental. They have the highest environmental rating of any major cruise line. With the high price of water they are encouraging you NOT to buy it or drink it. Water doesn't need bottles is the message.

Vic

I just paid the $71 for NCL's 12 single liter bottles. Ouch!

Carnival's water is a lot cheaper than NCL, buuuut their booze package is capped at 15 drinks per day, and it's never included with your booking.

Soooo, as a cruiser of all the mainstay lines...GO CELEBRITY!!! LOL!!!!!

And as they say in Mexico....Drink Beer, Not Water!!!! [emoji23][emoji481][emoji6][emoji23][emoji481][emoji6]

Sorry I don't get the buying water, we just bring four empty water bottles in our luggage and refill them in the buffet as needed, have never bought water on the ships!

One of the reasons NCL uses the large bottles and charges a lot for them is environmental. They have the highest environmental rating of any major cruise line. With the high price of water they are encouraging you NOT to buy it or drink it. Water doesn't need bottles is the message.

Vic

Cruises yield over 300 pounds CO2 per day per person whereas staying home is closer to 120. Arrogant to add the tagline "but we overcharge for purified water to save the planet!" (I can't prove these numbers, but these are numbers you can find across the web, and on the conservative side of most figures.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an environmentalist and I'm not pitching anything. But I can't hug trees in-between cruises and pretend I've done something good.

So let NCL call it what they like, it's still $6+ per liter of water and it's still a ripoff. And I'm still cruising with another line.

Cruises yield over 300 pounds CO2 per day per person whereas staying home is closer to 120. Arrogant to add the tagline "but we overcharge for purified water to save the planet!" (I can't prove these numbers, but these are numbers you can find across the web, and on the conservative side of most figures.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an environmentalist and I'm not pitching anything. But I can't hug trees in-between cruises and pretend I've done something good.

So let NCL call it what they like, it's still $6+ per liter of water and it's still a ripoff. And I'm still cruising with another line.

Did you see the prices above? Or will you buy them by the singles and not even consider filled them up with filtered water from the ship?

Beware, Norwegian no longer allows bottled water carry-on, and they charge over $6 per bottle for 1 liter bottles of water. Compare to Carnival, who will deliver a 12-pack of 1/2 liter water to your room for under $5. Do the math, Norwegian: over $6 per liter. Carnival: about $1.20 per liter. Norwegian is 5 times higher. Ridiculous, right? Price gouging!

Bottled water is a mainstay for us when we travel, we would not have sailed Norwegian knowing this. Seems like a small issue, but every time I took a sip, found myself thinking ka-ching, certainly tarnished the good times.

Cruising is a capitalist endeavor. Charge what you can get away with. Those who want to cruise will pay. Long live capitalism.

Haven't cruised NCL ever only RCL, celebrity, Azamara and princess. Can you tell me regular ncl cruisers. Do they not even supply water to your stateroom?

That depends on what you mean by supply water. The steward will bring a bucket of ice. It will melt and you can drink it. As well as the tap water. And probably bottled water in mini fridge for purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see they lowered the price--still too high, though better and I don't want liter bottles; much prefer the easier to carry .5 liter ones.

I just brought some empty bottles on board and filled them from the tap, stored them in the fridge. There was always ice in the room too. I drink a lot of water and this worked for me.

You can of course get water free at meals and at the bars, grills, etc. just by asking.