Fellow Canadians - should I be worried?

Celine77

In light of recent events under the new Trump reign and the proposed pre-clearance bill, I am starting to get a little worried about issues that could arise at the airport. I am wondering if my fellow Canadians have ran into any issues at all at customs and your travels were unexpectedly delayed as a result. Although our cruise is at the end of April, I just want to be prepared especially travelling with two little ones. We will be flying from the west coast to Toronto and then onto Fort Lauderdale. This post is not meant to start a political debate. I just want to know other people's experiences. Thank you.

Can't help but wonder why your are concerned. The Executive Order has been stopped temporarily by the US courts and Canada was not on the list of countries in the order.

Seems to me like you are looking for things to worry about...take a breath.

Is this Celine Dion? You will probably flying in your private jet so no worries. I thought you will be flying out of Vegas? :D Anyways no problem with Canadian passports. Twenty miles from the border here in northern Vermont no problem with Canadians traveling back and forth like always.

If you carry Canadian passports and are born in Canada, you should be fine. My understanding is that where issues arise is with people who were born in any of the seven countries highlighted in the "extreme vetting" process. But I don't yet have personal experience.

Is this Celine Dion? You will probably flying in your private jet so no worries. I thought you will be flying out of Vegas? :D Anyways no problem with Canadian passports. Twenty miles from the border here in northern Vermont no problem with Canadians traveling back and forth like always.

Haha private jet I wish! I am a fan of Celine Dion though lol! Good to hear no issues where you are, thank you!

If you carry Canadian passports and are born in Canada, you should be fine. My understanding is that where issues arise is with people who were born in any of the seven countries highlighted in the "extreme vetting" process. But I don't yet have personal experience.

We are Canadian passport holders but we're not born in canada. Born in countries currently not listed. Who knows of/when that list will expand....

There have been numerous reports of Canadian citizens travelling on Canadian passports being refused entry to the US last week. Though Muslim, none were from the seven listed countries and some were born in Canada. Several were of Moroccan extraction, notably those stopped attempting to cross into the US from Quebec by car.

If you live within easy driving distance of the US, you might want to take a day trip one weekend soon to see if there is any problem entering. If there is, you might have time to take whatever measures are necessary to be allowed future entry. As you don't say where you were born, it's impossible to tell what the potential likelihood might be for being refused entry.

Good luck!

Celine, if you are brown, you should be worried enough to be prepared, but not worried enough to freak out. You probably won't get blocked at the border but you may be delayed for questioning. Even my white-as-snow Australian friend got questioned for 10 hours at Customs once, about 6 years ago.

Plan your travel accordingly.

Canadians visit the US more than 40 million times per year. I don't know if thousands have problems or if hundreds of thousands have problems, but you don't want to be late for your cruise.

Celine, if you are brown, you should be worried enough to be prepared, but not worried enough to freak out. You probably won't get blocked at the border but you may be delayed for questioning. Even my white-as-snow Australian friend got questioned for 10 hours at Customs once, about 6 years ago.

Plan your travel accordingly.

Canadians visit the US more than 40 million times per year. I don't know if thousands have problems or if hundreds of thousands have problems, but you don't want to be late for your cruise.

What is brown?

You will probably have more trouble getting into Quebec than into the US especially if you speak English.

It happened to me, One time I was at the border going into Quebec and I have a NRA sticker on my old truck. Told a number of times guns are not allowed in Canada and I know this. Sat at the booth about 50 minutes then told to "go". I also had been questioned for a long time returning to the U.S. for we did a quick trip with the kids to go to the zoo right over the border. After I thought they must have suspected a drug dealer or something. No problems either time for in my view the service is just doing their job. Keep up the good work Border Protection Canada and U.S..

If you are a Canadian Citizen, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Canadian news probably isn't on your radar so let me clarify. The people that were turned away at the border were Canadian citizens. Some were born in Canada, some were naturalized. All were Muslim.

They were extensively questioned about their mosques, how often they attended. Their phones were taken and passcodes demanded. They were also questioned about their views regarding Mr. Trump. Then they were finger printed and denied entry.

A family group of shoppers were told they had no valid reason to enter the US. A university student hoping to compete in an event was told he didn't have a visa. He was born in Canada and had a Canadian passport as did his team mates who were allowed entry.

What these people had in common was that they had ties to Morocco, were Muslim, and were attempting to cross over from Quebec.

There is also Bill C-23 presently before Parliament that would greatly expand the power of US CBP conducting preclearance into the US at Canadian airports.

If you Google Quebec border Morocco and C-23 you can see what prompted to OPs concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk