Has anyone been to Samana

jeaner

We are going on an Eastern Caribbean Cruise on 2/18 on the NCL Sun. Our 1st port is at Samana, Dominican Rep. Has anyone been there before? I have been on many, many Caribbean Cruises and have never heard of this Port. What tours options are there? What is the Port like? Any info would be appreciated. Lastly, when and why was this new Port added?

:)

Oh, that's also known as Cayo Leventado--Costa Cruise Lines' Costa Classica has been sailing out of there the last little while when in the Caribbean. I wanted to link the port of call from this site's home page--unfortunately, there was none for Samana/Cayo Leventado.

An idea is that you can read through the Costa forum for your port in question. Hope this helps.

Wow - I logged on tonight and was going to post the same question !! Me and the Hubby and the folks and my Aunt and Uncle are scheduled to sale on the Sun 01-21-2006.....Hopefully, there will be more posts on Samana before then, if not - we'll make sure to post everything that we learn / hear about after we return on 01-28-2006. One of my girlfriends had spent a full week in the Dominican Republic (at a newer resort).........she said it was quite beautiful, but she (unfortuately) did not do a lot of exploring outside of the resort. Have a great time and I hope that there is some really good / additional information available before you set sail : )

I was there 20 years ago and it was quite the experience. It was with Carnival. When the ship docked, all you could see when you looked down were mostly kids without clothes surrounding the ship in the water with their hands up begging for money. This was my first cruise ever and being around 19 or so it was really an eye opener. The island was very beautiful.

I'm sure it is totally different now. I would be curious to know what it is like now also.

Archived