Bringing a laptop

newatt_now

The biggest problem is always someone walking into your room while it is being cleaned, for example when your room steward is cleaning the bathroom. Keep your laptop out of sight while you are out and things will be pretty ok. Charge your laptop at nite while you're sleeping.

I would lock it inside a suitcase, preferably using a combination lock. I welcome other suggestions too, since I plan to take mine from now on.

Dave

I have always locked mine in a carry on case and kept in under the bed, out of sight. The cabin steward will not be a problem, he doesn't want to lose his job over a missing computer. I think the problem will be other passengers if your room is open.

Having a laptop is nice because you can review your photos a few hours after you take them, and if you can burn a dick, you can make backup files.

I'm traveling on Royal Carib for the first time and I'd like to bring my multimedia laptop with me. How do I keep it from being stolen when I'm not in the room with it?

I just put it in a drawer, usually one of the desk drawers. Never had a problem, plus as mentioned above, I would totally trust the cabin steward.

Hiding is good, but at least get a proper cable lock and lock it to the bed or something. If someone goes a looking, they'll look first in the top drawer for jewelery and under the bed for big stuff. If they find something that seems like a laptop in a locked bag, all that means is that they get a free piece of luggage out of the deal... :D

Hiding is good, but at least get a proper cable lock and lock it to the bed or something. If someone goes a looking, they'll look first in the top drawer for jewelery and under the bed for big stuff. If they find something that seems like a laptop in a locked bag, all that means is that they get a free piece of luggage out of the deal... :D

Hi Mike,

Remember us? So ya'll are doing a reunion? Good for you. We are doing the Eastern Carribean out of Miami on the Radiance of the Seas Dec.4th. That was one of the funniest things we have ever done on a cruise and hope you all have a great time. Tell everyone we said "Hi".

deb

Hi Mike,

Remember us? So ya'll are doing a reunion? Good for you. We are doing the Eastern Carribean out of Miami on the Radiance of the Seas Dec.4th. That was one of the funniest things we have ever done on a cruise and hope you all have a great time. Tell everyone we said "Hi".

deb

Yeah, we actually put it together right after the last one and posted on the old thread. I guess we should have tried to track you down. :o There are just 5 of us back this time: Leslie, Rhonda, Mary, Les (not quite booked yet) and me. Rhonda is bringing DH Matt, and Mary is bringing one of her other kids plus his gf. Meredith had a baby ~8 weeks ago, so she's using that as an excuse to skip this one. :D

We've been talking about a CCIII, but it seems like we're leaning towards spring 2007 instead of December 2006. There are a wide range of needs and wants though, so it might not happen. There is a group "cabincrawlers" on Yahoo where the old group hangs out, plus some of the new people. Come on over and join up!

Cute, last Dec when I asked the same question, I got 10 replies saying how rude I am to assume anyone would want a cheap lil ol lap top, over keeping their job. Oh how fickle the boards are.:rolleyes:

But.. Go to Staples or Staples.com and buy a Lap Top Lock. All lap tops have a spot to connect one, and we just locked lap top and carrying case to the bedframe or desk any time we were not in the room. I wouldn't leave anything of value in sight. Many a time did I walk down the halls and see open doors. Stewarts may have been in the bathroom, or stepped away to help someone, but the door was wide open. Once I came back to my cabin to find the door wide open, no one inside. The stewart had gone to get someone to show them a leak in the sink, but he left the door wide open, lap top and all showing... but locked of course. No harm done. But seeing that, reinforces my idea that all valuables be left at home, or at least out of sight.

Sorry, I have to ask this, even though I am gonna get majorly flamed. :D

If you are on vacation, on a cruise you have planned for many, many months, why take a lap top? I can understand the issues of looking at pictures, That is what the digital is for.

I am just wondering why is all. Should i start a new thread on this?

If you are on vacation, on a cruise you have planned for many, many months, why take a lap top? I can understand the issues of looking at pictures, That is what the digital is for.

The things I did with my laptop on my most recent cruise was to download my pictures, viewing DVD movies at night when we didn't want to catch the local entertainment (guest talent night) , and especially during the wait for debarkation.

Well you can see little tiny pictures on the camera, while using up your precious battery life. If you bring your laptop you can download them, back them up to a CD and view them full size. You can copy them to a CD to share with friends on board, and vice versa, so you'll both have a complete set ot photos. You can also email a picture or two to friends and family at home to show them what a great time you're having. In my case, I can keep in touch with the office, something that allows me to take the cruise in the first place. I also use my laptop to watch movies on the long plane flights.

my husband told me when you have your own business, you have no choice but to keep in touch with clients and can't be out of pocket for very long.

Thanks for the replies, guess I know now. Makes me also wonder, what were we all doing pre-laptop era?

I'm taking mine because my dig camera's media card only holds 399 pics at the 6.1 megapixal setting. Heck, I'll use 399 pics in the first 2 days!

Having my laptop means that I can upload my pics, empty my camera's card and then start again!

My laptop will be used for only two reasons .. music and pictures. I have a lot of music saved to files and I did not want to burn them to a CD or bring along a CD player. As far as pictures go, I only have enough memory cards for about 300 pictures. I could have used more last time so I will bring the laptop to upload my cards and start over again. No internet, no contact with the outside world.

We take one with us to download digital pictures from the cameras so we can go crazy and also because, occasionally, we have to do some work when we're on vacation. For some of us a vacation just means that we aren't in the office, but we still may need to work an hour or so each day. Gotta pay for those cruises!

Makes me also wonder, what were we all doing pre-laptop era?
Hmmm. Well first of all, using up lots of expensive film and paying for lots of expensive developing, even the pictures that didn't turn out as we hoped. And of course, we didn't know the picture didn't turn out until the film was developed and then it was too late for a re-take. Staying in the office in case there are any important phone calls and/or "fires" to put out. Trying to play Solitaire on the little table on the plane where you can't spread the cards out or you keep dropping them. Sending postcards that don't arrive until two weeks after we get home. Laptops. They're a good thing . . .

No wonder people are so stressed out nowadays, if you cannot be gone for a week without your business tanking. Whatever would they do if you got extremely ill, or stranded somewhere where there was no means of communication?

We leave it all at home, take just the camera and a few memory cards, then deal with it all when we get home. We don't even take the camcorder with us anymore, DH said he was tired of spending his vacation behind a camera lens. When we still were self-employed, we organized the business so we weren't needed for the week. We made sure our clients knew we were not available for the week or so.

I often wonder why people need to have all this stuff along, but it doesn't bother me that they do. I people watch a lot at airports, or when we are embarking/disembarking a ship and it is amazing how many bags people take along. We have taken the laptop along on vacation before, but found it too much of a burden to carry around and get through airport security, plus too much to worry about.

It makes life so much simpler to just have the basic needs. If I need to be entertained, I will find something on a ship, there are always movies to rent in your cabin if you are desperate. On an airplane, I find a good old fashioned book or magazine does nicely, sometimes even a nap. I like the freedom from stuff and do not feel the need to keep in touch with anyone from home or work while I'm gone. My DH and kids are with me, the rest of em, I'm trying to get away from :D .

Nice post happy ks.. I've often wondered the same.. as far as the "my business would collaps without me" cry. As you pointed out Happy Ks, what if those types were very ill or had to leave town for a sudden unfortunate event?

And quite honestly what could I do from the ship if the business was collapsing? Give advice? Why doesn't the person in charge know what to do? So, while it may be somewhat true for some, I think more of us could stand to disconnect more from the main land.

But I'm a hypocrate and I admit it.. I do bring the lap top.. for the reason of transfering pics (small card in camera) and we so enjoyed mid after naps while the kids watched a movie in the same room as us. What did I do before that? Regular film of course, but I do so love the new digital age. :o

I plan on packing extra light this time. For an 8 day trip I'm squeezing 5 of us into one large suitcase and 3 carry ons total. (laundry on the ship a must) I'll carry the lap top and hubby and 2 boys will carry a carry on. I'd like to have every tip in the world given to me about how to pack even less... by ... sigh.... the lap top must go with:rolleyes:

Ah, Happy_ks, there's the difference, you're talking about one week vacations and some of us try to do at least two if not three weeks! And heck, I work for my comapny from home, so even if I'm sick they know where to find me..... And when I had to leave for a few funerals in the last year or so, I did get calls and emails while I was away. In my case I'm a department of one person, so I am the only person that folks who need me can go to. DH and I both try to give as much as we can to others at work, but, occasionally, they still need to get hold of us for some obscure thing that only comes up when we're gone. Our vacation in June will be for 3 weeks. If we're lucky, we'll each get 2 or 3 calls/emails that absolutely need answers, if we're unlucky, Murphy's law will take hold and we'll each have to work an average of an hour or so a day.

Archived